Can The PS1000 "Out Rock" The RS1(i)?
Nov 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
I know the PS1000 probably can do more genre's of music than the RS1(i); but can it also out rock the RS1(i)?

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 15
OP, as the owner of both, I can say unequivocally that I greatly prefer the PS1000 to the RS1i for rock, which is mainly what I listen to. The vividness of the PS1000 greatly surpasses that of the RS1i, which serves the genre extremely well. And that's merely the most compelling reason that comes to mind. You might want to try posting in the dedicated PS1000 thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/520884/ps1000-appreciation-thread/15

I would guess that most owners of the PS1000 have also owned the RS1i.

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 15
Nope. Nothing rocks like a RS-1.

I knew the RS-1 was there to rock about 30 seconds after I put it on my head. The day it arrived, I stayed up all night rocking out and went to work with black circles under my eyes the next day. It was completely worth it.

The PS-1000 left me entirely underwhelmed. I even had cash set aside to buy a pair. I used that money to buy the Orion drivers, instead.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 15
Yes, the PS1000 can outrock the RS1, but any answer has to be qualified.  The RS1 has certain HF spikes that the PS1000 doesn't.  Some prefer these.  They consider the PS1000 "too dark," which is hilarious.  The PS1000 isn't remotely "dark."  It's just not as bright as the SR325 or the RS1.  What it does have, in gracious abundance, is a thump that fits rock music like a glove.  Grados don't do justice to grumble-zone low-low bass but when it comes to 100 Hz slam, the PS1000 delivers, and with an impact that feels quite visceral.  The RS1 doesn't come close.  Technically speaking, the GS1000 has the most slam of any Grado in production, but its recessed mids and extra-sparkly highs create a tube-like EQ smile that's more severe than anything on the PS1000.  The PS1000 also recesses some of the high mids by a few dB (which is welcome in my book, especially compared to spiking them with the RS1) but not as much  as the GS1000.  The result is a midrange presence that brings back the edge.

If you want more guitar, the RS1 may still be your darling.  If you want more bass slam, the PS1000 will definitely "out-rock" the RS1.  But again, whatever answer you pick, it's a qualified answer that applies.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 15
LOL.  I think that describes many first time grado owners.  
basshead.gif

Quote:

I knew the RS-1 was there to rock about 30 seconds after I put it on my head. The day it arrived, I stayed up all night rocking out and went to work with black circles under my eyes the next day. It was completely worth it.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 15
I think that makes perfect sense.  It always depends.  With larger soundstage and bass, it will give you a different rock experience.  Or smaller soundstage and more midcentric experience for another. 

Quote:
Yes, the PS1000 can outrock the RS1, but any answer has to be qualified.  The RS1 has certain HF spikes that the PS1000 doesn't.  Some prefer these.  They consider the PS1000 "too dark," which is hilarious.  The PS1000 isn't remotely "dark."  It's just not as bright as the SR325 or the RS1.  What it does have, in gracious abundance, is a thump that fits rock music like a glove.  Grados don't do justice to grumble-zone low-low bass but when it comes to 100 Hz slam, the PS1000 delivers, and with an impact that feels quite visceral.  The RS1 doesn't come close.  Technically speaking, the GS1000 has the most slam of any Grado in production, but its recessed mids and extra-sparkly highs create a tube-like EQ smile that's more severe than anything on the PS1000.  The PS1000 also recesses some of the high mids by a few dB (which is welcome in my book, especially compared to spiking them with the RS1) but not as much  as the GS1000.  The result is a midrange presence that brings back the edge.

If you want more guitar, the RS1 may still be your darling.  If you want more bass slam, the PS1000 will definitely "out-rock" the RS1.  But again, whatever answer you pick, it's a qualified answer that applies.

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 15
Small venue electric/acoustic guitar and the RS-1 still brings it. 

If you want other rock music like Metal or more dynamic genre, go to the PS-1000.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:

The PS-1000 left me entirely underwhelmed. I even had cash set aside to buy a pair. I used that money to buy the Orion drivers, instead.

My experiences with both to a "T", except I used my $ for an HD800 (and really glad that I did). 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 15
My recent conclusion, having tried the PS1000 is that, RS1(i) still is the king of rock. 

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
I like the bright. It's just the PS1000 was not front row. 

Quote:
If you want a non-bright Grado that does well with rock, the HF-2 is pretty darned good. I think the price is pretty fair, as well.

This is an argument about jumbo pads.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back