can you get flagship headphone (4k plus) performance out of the very best IEM's?
Apr 21, 2024 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Goldhamster916

New Head-Fier
Hello,

i am currently using a Warwick Bravura E-stat headphone system and have never really thought about using IEM's at all. are any IEM's capable or even exceeding sound qualities from the very best over ear headphones (4k plus range, susvara, high end e-stats, eq'd LCD 5 etc.)?

with sound quality i rather mean technicalities like soundstage, extension, detail retrieval and soundstaging then tuning.

especially a convincing spacious soundstage with good seperation and imaging along with deep bass extension/ impact and overall resolution is what matters most to me. are there IEM's which can keep up or exceed what the very best headphones have to over?

would be awesome to hear some experiences from people who heard both!

thanks for your time!

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 7
Hey m8 I would say No , Cause there are some limitations to iems I have many iems in the highest price range $3-4K but yet none of them stage like headphones. Details sure they are close extension is superb but other things are hard to come by sadly. I would suggest to try IEMS before you significantly invest in them. I will highly suggest Lethsour Cadenza 12 , ELysian annihilator and EE odin.

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Hello,

i am currently using a Warwick Bravura E-stat headphone system and have never really thought about using IEM's at all. are any IEM's capable or even exceeding sound qualities from the very best over ear headphones (4k plus range, susvara, high end e-stats, eq'd LCD 5 etc.)?

with sound quality i rather mean technicalities like soundstage, extension, detail retrieval and soundstaging then tuning.

especially a convincing spacious soundstage with good seperation and imaging along with deep bass extension/ impact and overall resolution is what matters most to me. are there IEM's which can keep up or exceed what the very best headphones have to over?

thanks for your time!
Yes there is....but theres alot of hassle involved. The audeze lcd-i4 with insane amount of EQ can achieve somewhat that headphone effect with very high technicalities.

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 7
My Annihilator pretty much made me shift my focus away from headphones. Of course your mileage may vary.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 7
Hello,

thanks for your time!

No. IEMs will not hit the same soundstage as well-tuned open backed headphones.

Simply a matter of physics, as the transducer is inside the ear canal for IEMs.

But IEMs are for a different case usage, more for portability and perhaps isolation. So the different transducers have their own pros and cons.

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Storm and all IEMs I've tried is still a few levels below Susvara though some TOTL IEMs are getting really close to Utopia level now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back