CanJam London 2019 Impressions thread
Jul 27, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #32 of 277
I’ll try my best. For me personally the M11 (non pro) sounds lovely, but it still sounds like a dap. (I’ve heard so many over the years and it’s rare for me to be blown away anymore sadly).
The M11 (non pro) does nothing wrong, and for the price it’s a steal. It has that typical smooth AK dac sound. I liked it a lot.

But!.....the Pro is literally like listening to a desktop amp on first listen. Really took me by surprise. It was literally effortless at delivering the music. Yes, the AK smoothness was there (my personal fav dacs so that works for me), but the amp side with the THX AAA just takes it to a whole new level. I honestly could have just sat there all day listening. Effortless as I said, with such a clean sound. Emotional connection to the music was there instantly......It’s been a long time since I heard a dap and then instantly smiled, then laughed at the fact Fiio have worked this magic (no offence Fiio). If someone had blind tested me and said ‘flagship, £2000 etc) I would have believed them. To me it’s that good. And I shall be buying one as soon as UK release!!

Have you gotten a chance to Compare the Q5s DAC/AMP with THX to the M11 PRO?

Jul 27, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #34 of 277
Good show, Was a bit disappointed Astell&Kern diffident turn up, was looking forward to trying the cube. My big takeaways, I want a pair of Focal Stellia's. they pair so well with the DX220. Also loved the 64 Audio tia Fourte. So much I want and so little money :).

Couldn't get near the CA stand or the FIIO stand. But all in all a good day.
A&K were there, buried deep in the Audeze booth. I think I saw at least 3 Cubes; one being hogged on the A&K booth, one at Hifonix and at least one other, but I don't recall where.

Jul 27, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #36 of 277
Any info on FIDELICE by Rupert Neve Designs?

Jul 27, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #37 of 277
I listened to a variety of things but I think the only new/recent items I tried were:

• Fiio btr5 and Shanling UP2
    I have a Fiio btr3, and I was really interested in how each of these compared to the btr3 when driving my target earphones, Etymotic ER4-SR. My experience is that Etymotics generally, and ER4-SR certainly, require a reasonably decent amp section to deliver the sound I expect. So here's my comparison:
    • Fiio btr3 (that I already have): just not up to the job of driving ER4-SR properly.

• Shanling UP2: a very significant improvement in driving power, and the ER4-SR sounds a lot better on it than it did on the btr3. It's still not at the level I want, but I'm ordering a UP2 anyway, for separate uses. It's a really nice little device too: small, simple, and the wheel does it all so there's no button layout to memorise. Nicely done! My only complaint is that the long press to power it on and off seems excessively long to me. But that's not the end of the world, and if enough of us ask nicely enough maybe we can get it shortened in a firmware update. Anyhow, I think this is a great product even if it's not all the way there for my personal choice of earphone.

• Fiio btr5: THIS IS IT. The Etys open up beautifully, with crisp highs and sturdy beats and good instrument separation and all the rest of it. An absolute winner. I loved it.
      Details: picture a larger (like maybe 50% wider?) btr3, with a slide-on clip case rather than a built-on clip. Button layout's just the same as the btr3.
      Availability: "next month" is the answer I got. When I asked if it was available on Chinese sites now, e.g. aliexpress, the answer again was "next month." So I guess it's next month. :) Price was quoted as 125.
  • Fiio EH3 NC noise canceling wireless over-ear headphones.
    The NC was very good. The comfort was very good. I think they too are coming next month. I neglected to ask the price, sorry.
    Sonically these were quite good for their category (IMO streets ahead of Sony), and I could easily recommend them to people whose tastes aren't as highs-influenced as mine are. For my tastes, though, the highs were too rolled off for really satisfactory listening. For example if I'm listening to acoustic guitar if the sharp attack of a string being plucked is muted and diffuse, it just doesn't sound right to me even if the body of the note itself is fine. But I really think the product is a very good offering even if it wasn't right for me.

• Focal Stellia
    Wow, wow, wow. These are proper, serious, excellent high-end headphones. For me, at least, it was easy to forget they're closed. It's not "they're excellent, for closed headphones." They're absolutely outstanding headphones that to me are absolutely competitive with top open headphones. What an accomplishment.
    I heard these at HeadAmp's booth, out of GS-X mini, with Chord Qutest. What a system.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #38 of 277
My Canjam Saturday
Firstly, slap on the wrist for the person deciding to have this event in central London, at the height of the tourist season, when half of London has gone away on holiday.
This can't help exhibitors, paying customers or rates of footfall, prices of hotels and flights.
Moan Over

In the crazy humidity of London at the moment, being in the air conditioned lower floors of the Plaza was very welcome indeed.
I felt there were about the same amount of exhibitors as last time. And walked into the buzzing main room

Had a swift look at every table. Things I noticed:
* HIFIMAN had no portable products at all, no DAPs, no In Ears.
* The listening booth in the middle is a simply brilliant idea - more please
* Didn't see AKG or Sennheiser - but did see DCS - is this becoming a desktop industry?

One woman had stunning legs and seamed nylons, and got more attention than any headphones.! I
was mesmorised too (yeah I'm shallow) when Jude snapped me out of my day dream, still as charming as ever,
still a credit to his industry,still the attention span of a stoned goldfish, love him.

Went to Rob Watts tech DAC lecture, about 97% flew over my head, but it's fascinating to hear an engineering guru trying to
explain things to mere mortals.
Time for a coffee and a fag, then back to Axel Grell's excellent talk about headphone measurement.
Although his English is superb, because of the technicalities of his subjects, it was hard for him to express himself sometimes,
but after Robs physics assault this was a welcome restbite. Really enjoyed his talk. Engineers are not naturally good at public speaking
so both these two need a round of applause.

Quick chat to Neve , no prices yet, stunning design, wish the DAC was smaller, I spoke to him about an M-Dac sized box, stripped of
some of the many features the current DAC has, I may have planted a seed, hopefully.
Love the 70s "Station Waggon"-esque design.

20190727_164719.jpg 20190727_162528.jpg 20190727_162047.jpg 20190727_161454.jpg 20190727_142722.jpg 20190727_134009.jpg 20190727_132051.jpg 20190727_132049.jpg 20190727_132046.jpg

Quick chat to Beyer (not Polar, Beyer) they seem to think the small on ear portable market is dead, shame, no one was buying DT1350s,
same with the T70p. 2 of my favourite headphones, no replacement equiviilent

Tried the Audeze gaming blutooth headphones, really good, my kids will love them, they're getting them for xmas if they like it or not.

Back tomorrow. if you have requests for pics of anything let me know.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #39 of 277
I listened to a variety of things but I think the only new/recent items I tried were:

• Fiio btr5 and Shanling UP2
    I have a Fiio btr3, and I was really interested in how each of these compared to the btr3 when driving my target earphones, Etymotic ER4-SR. My experience is that Etymotics generally, and ER4-SR certainly, require a reasonably decent amp section to deliver the sound I expect. So here's my comparison:
    • Fiio btr3 (that I already have): just not up to the job of driving ER4-SR properly.

• Shanling UP2: a very significant improvement in driving power, and the ER4-SR sounds a lot better on it than it did on the btr3. It's still not at the level I want, but I'm ordering a UP2 anyway, for separate uses. It's a really nice little device too: small, simple, and the wheel does it all so there's no button layout to memorise. Nicely done! My only complaint is that the long press to power it on and off seems excessively long to me. But that's not the end of the world, and if enough of us ask nicely enough maybe we can get it shortened in a firmware update. Anyhow, I think this is a great product even if it's not all the way there for my personal choice of earphone.

• Fiio btr5: THIS IS IT. The Etys open up beautifully, with crisp highs and sturdy beats and good instrument separation and all the rest of it. An absolute winner. I loved it.
      Details: picture a larger (like maybe 50% wider?) btr3, with a slide-on clip case rather than a built-on clip. Button layout's just the same as the btr3.
      Availability: "next month" is the answer I got. When I asked if it was available on Chinese sites now, e.g. aliexpress, the answer again was "next month." So I guess it's next month. :) Price was quoted as 125.
  • Fiio EH3 NC noise canceling wireless over-ear headphones.
    The NC was very good. The comfort was very good. I think they too are coming next month. I neglected to ask the price, sorry.
    Sonically these were quite good for their category (IMO streets ahead of Sony), and I could easily recommend them to people whose tastes aren't as highs-influenced as mine are. For my tastes, though, the highs were too rolled off for really satisfactory listening. For example if I'm listening to acoustic guitar if the sharp attack of a string being plucked is muted and diffuse, it just doesn't sound right to me even if the body of the note itself is fine. But I really think the product is a very good offering even if it wasn't right for me.

• Focal Stellia
    Wow, wow, wow. These are proper, serious, excellent high-end headphones. For me, at least, it was easy to forget they're closed. It's not "they're excellent, for closed headphones." They're absolutely outstanding headphones that to me are absolutely competitive with top open headphones. What an accomplishment.
    I heard these at HeadAmp's booth, out of GS-X mini, with Chord Qutest. What a system.
Thanks for details on the BTR5. $125 is a bit more than what I was expecting though or perhaps it's even 125 euro. I was hoping it will stay under $100.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #40 of 277
Sadly not. Was too enthralled with the M11 Pro. But I am going to presume it’s the same Amp Stage. The Fiio guy said that the THX amp will be a separate purchase for the Q5s and that puts me off right there.

Sorry to be yet another person bombarding you with questions, but did the m11 pro look any different than the normal model? Fiio has yet to release any actual pictures of it yet.

Jul 27, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #42 of 277
My Canjam Saturday
Firstly, slap on the wrist for the person deciding to have this event in central London, at the height of the tourist season, when half of London has gone away on holiday.
This can't help exhibitors, paying customers or rates of footfall, prices of hotels and flights.
Moan Over

In the crazy humidity of London at the moment, being in the air conditioned lower floors of the Plaza was very welcome indeed.
I felt there were about the same amount of exhibitors as last time. And walked into the buzzing main room

Had a swift look at every table. Things I noticed:
* HIFIMAN had no portable products at all, no DAPs, no In Ears.
* The listening booth in the middle is a simply brilliant idea - more please
* Didn't see AKG or Sennheiser - but did see DCS - is this becoming a desktop industry?

One woman had stunning legs and seamed nylons, and got more attention than any headphones.! I
was mesmorised too (yeah I'm shallow) when Jude snapped me out of my day dream, still as charming as ever,
still a credit to his industry,still the attention span of a stoned goldfish, love him.

Went to Rob Watts tech DAC lecture, about 97% flew over my head, but it's fascinating to hear an engineering guru trying to
explain things to mere mortals.
Time for a coffee and a fag, then back to Axel Grell's excellent talk about headphone measurement.
Although his English is superb, because of the technicalities of his subjects, it was hard for him to express himself sometimes,
but after Robs physics assault this was a welcome restbite. Really enjoyed his talk. Engineers are not naturally good at public speaking
so both these two need a round of applause.

Quick chat to Neve , no prices yet, stunning design, wish the DAC was smaller, I spoke to him about an M-Dac sized box, stripped of
some of the many features the current DAC has, I may have planted a seed, hopefully.
Love the 70s "Station Waggon"-esque design.

Quick chat to Beyer (not Polar, Beyer) they seem to think the small on ear portable market is dead, shame, no one was buying DT1350s,
same with the T70p. 2 of my favourite headphones, no replacement equiviilent

Tried the Audeze gaming blutooth headphones, really good, my kids will love them, they're getting them for xmas if they like it or not.

Back tomorrow. if you have requests for pics of anything let me know.

Nice write up. I imagine most focus on headphones will be on wireless and anc now compared to the halcyon days of the dt1350s and hd25-II's :frowning2: How busy was it? Didn't look too bad from your pics?

Jul 27, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #44 of 277
Was SONY DSP-Z1 available for listening at CanJam ??

Jul 27, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #45 of 277
Went to Rob Watts tech DAC lecture, about 97% flew over my head, but it's fascinating to hear an engineering guru trying to explain things to mere mortals.
Engineers are not naturally good at public speaking so both these two need a round of applause.
Part of my role is communication about engineering topics (including getting engineers to communicate simply).
Like you say, most engineers are not naturally good at it. So I always try and remember Einstein "if you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough"
Cherish Rob et al, because they are good at explaining things simply. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back