CanJam NYC 2023 Impressions Thread (February 25-26, 2023)
Feb 27, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #571 of 961
Some people buy a sports car when they become an attending surgeon, I'm buying the Lina (if my wife lets me hahaha)
Money much better spent. :)

Feb 27, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #573 of 961
This is why I'm still single, so I don't have to justify to anyone purchases that I can't afford.

haha naw she is a great sport!

also my only regret is I wish I had made more friends/met more people but I'm still new to this site and this community so there is plenty of time still!

Feb 27, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #574 of 961
cjm23_day2_p1.jpg

We hope everyone enjoyed this year's CanJam, this was one of our busiest shows, and it was fantastic to have a chance to see everyone. This year's lineup was absolutely thrilling, wasn't it?

We had three systems in the big room; at the far left, we had the NAIM Uniti Atom as a source fed into our HeadAmp GS-X Mini in blue & a vibrant red HeadAmp GS-X MK2 with a selection of great headphones such as the DCA Expanse, DCA Stealth, Abyss Diana TC and Sennheiser HD800S. In the middle was our HeadAmp Blue Hawaii Special Edition sourced from the Chord Hugo TT2 DAC.

On the far right was arguably the best system we've ever presented, our outstanding new Grand Cayman Electrostatic Amplifier and our HeadAmp Blue Hawaii Special Edition sourced by the Mytek Empire Streamer paired with CanJam New York 2023's most extensive selection of Electrostatic Headphones! It took a little extra planning and finesse, but we were happy to have had the; STAX SR-X9000, STAX SR-L700 MK2, STAX SR-007 MK2, Hifiman Shangri-La, Audeze CRBN, Dan Clark Audio VOCE, and the all-new Dan Clark Audio Corina Reference Electrostatic!

Ballroom_lfe_a.jpg

Out in the ballroom, we had two systems with a few different headphones between each day, including but not limited to the; Sennheiser HD 660S2, Meze 109 Pro, DCA Aeon 2 Closed, DCA Aeon 2 Noire and ES Lab ES-R10. On the far left is the iFi ZEN Dac Signature V2 feeding into our HeadAmp GS-X Mini and HeadAmp Gilmore Lite MK2 with Golden Reference Dedicated PSU. On the far right, we had the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II feeding the Mytek Liberty DAC II into two beautiful GS-X Mini's, one in a stunning silver finish and the other a gorgeous champagne gold!

Thanks once again to everyone who stopped by; we look forward to seeing you all again at the next CanJam!

Last edited:
HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 27, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #575 of 961
@Benesyed Same here, I'd like to make more community connections. I may use an avatar tag with my name on it next time since I often forget to introduce myself when chatting with folks. It was pretty crowded on Saturday, only day I could attend, and hard to chat in the main room. I'm down with any local meet ups in the central NJ/Philly area.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #577 of 961

We hope everyone enjoyed this year's CanJam, this was one of our busiest shows, and it was fantastic to have a chance to see everyone. This year's lineup was absolutely thrilling, wasn't it?

We had three systems in the big room; at the far left, we had the NAIM Uniti Atom as a source fed into our HeadAmp GS-X Mini in blue & a vibrant red HeadAmp GS-X MK2 with a selection of great headphones such as the DCA Expanse, DCA Stealth, Abyss Diana TC and Sennheiser HD800S. In the middle was our HeadAmp Blue Hawaii Special Edition sourced from the Chord Hugo TT2 DAC.

On the far right was arguably the best system we've ever presented, our outstanding new Grand Cayman Electrostatic Amplifier and our HeadAmp Blue Hawaii Special Edition sourced by the Mytek Empire Streamer paired with CanJam New York 2023's most extensive selection of Electrostatic Headphones! It took a little extra planning and finesse, but we were happy to have had the; STAX SR-X9000, STAX SR-L700 MK2, STAX SR-007 MK2, Hifiman Shangri-La, Audeze CRBN, Dan Clark Audio VOCE, and the all-new Dan Clark Audio Corina Reference Electrostatic!

Out in the ballroom, we had two systems with a few different headphones between each day, including but not limited to the; Sennheiser HD 660S2, Meze 109 Pro, DCA Aeon 2 Closed, DCA Aeon 2 Noire and ES Lab ES-R10. On the far left is the iFi ZEN Dac Signature V2 feeding into our HeadAmp GS-X Mini and HeadAmp Gilmore Lite MK2 with Golden Reference Dedicated PSU. On the far right, we had the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II feeding the Mytek Liberty DAC II into two beautiful GS-X Mini's, one in a stunning silver finish and the other a gorgeous champagne gold!

Thanks once again to everyone who stopped by; we look forward to seeing you all again at the next CanJam!
What great setups. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #578 of 961
not my first CanJam but my first in 5-6 years. First to the team that works so hard behind the scenes, a huge thank you for all the work that goes into an event like this. You guys are pros and hats off to a tremendous show!!!!

I attended the show primarily to connect with friends from years ago and hunt my elusive white what IEM. While I am very happy with what I have I thought it might benefit me to hear some of the heavy hitters. I will have more detailed impressions alter but over all there were many great IEMs but very few blew me away. Less blew me away when considering the price gap between some very good $700-2000 iems in my collection. Some of these $3500+ items had me shaking my head as they were good or did something good but not to the point where I would triple down on a mega buck unit.

That said what a great time to be in the hobby where there are cheap/inexpensive headphones and IEMs that rival top tier items from just a few years ago. The Audeze Maxwell is a great example of a can that punches several times it weight. I get the gaming angle from an appeal to the largest consumer group but the platform opens up some significant innovations that can be applied to high end audio down the road.

It would have been hard to imagine in 2006 that these large scale shows would become such a global draw. Hats off and thanks to the team and the volunteers that bring this to life

Feb 27, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #579 of 961
Aww man, just noticed this......One of my targets was to find a Meze 109 Pro and try it. Here I am in the Woo/STAX room and looks like one is hiding right behind the laptop. So close!

20230225_113713.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #581 of 961
I couldn't help but notice that this guy was wearing the HD820 backwards. I'm not trying to poke fun at him, as I get that it happens in the rush and hustle of the moment at these meets where there's a line of people waiting to listen, but I wonder how many meet impressions were made while literally wearing the headphones the wrong way around.

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #583 of 961
Oh yes the Decware Taboo! It had stock el83 driver tubes, but I did replace the rectifier with a weird AZ13 (? I'll have to check this one as it was adapted to 5u4g) and an amperex Holland ecc88.

That's my man Kevin's (I don't know his head fi tag) modded bottle head. He wanted to get large oil caps on it and he somehow found a way! Hes modded some other parts of it too, really an amazing sounding bottle head!
OMG, So that was the first seat that was open when I sat down with Caldera in my hand. I looked down, saw that bottlehead variant and said to my wife, “We gotta move to another seat!“ She’s like “Why?” what’s wrong with where we are? I said… “It’s an OTL amp and Caldera may not sound the best with it.” The look on her face at that point said it all. 😅 I’ve been married to this guy for nearly 40 years and look who he’s become. We ended up at HA-3A seat, I played Harry Style’s for her through the Caldera and I could see her getting lost in the music. That… was a wonderful moment. :) 🎶🎶

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #584 of 961
I couldn't help but notice that this guy was wearing the HD820 backwards. I'm not trying to poke fun at him, as I get that it happens in the rush and hustle of the moment at these meets where there's a line of people waiting to listen, but I wonder how many meet impressions were made while literally wearing the headphones the wrong way around.
I put the HD800s on backwards at first and a nice gentleman was kind enough to gently point it our for me lol. Wasn't even my first time listening to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back