CanJam SoCal 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #31 of 521
  Quick question - is there a WA5 amp at the show? Thinking of going on Sunday.

I know Dan from Mr Speakers often brings one along, and it sounds like Woo are only showcasing the WA33?

Mr. Speakers had one for certain. I can't remember if Woo had one. They had the WA7, WES, WA33. There were other tables in the room, I didn't spend time there, as I was all about the WA33.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #32 of 521
Short impressions
Really impressed with Noble's TOTL IEM and all the others I tried. But, I can't see myself really valuing an expensive pair of IEMs over just having a nice pair of cans at home at this stage in my life.

HD 800S sounded as clear, flat, and tall as I expected it to. Really smooth, neutral sound.

LCD-4 lacks the kind of sharp clarity I prefer. Think the Audeze sound isn't my ideal, though I really like the body they give to music.

At the Focal Utopia price point, the Abyss matches my taste better.

The Abyss is an exceptional headphone. The sound is wide, which I really like. There is no "shimmer" like how I experience with my Ether Flows. The space between sounds is pitch dark, hence the name. XIAudio Formula S paired exceptionally well with the Abyss. May possibly be my ideal end-game setup. Still have yet to listen to SR-009 though, which some have liked better.

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #34 of 521
Indeed, no one listened Kann??
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #35 of 521
Give people a chance to post impressions.  I'm sure most are tired after the show, got food and went to sleep.  You'll get a lot more impressions tomorrow, and a ton on Monday.  

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #36 of 521
yes please Astell&Kern KENN V/S AK3xx ?

And... may be few ( many if needed ) beer with an A&K Ingenier or sales rep may help to get some "confidential" infos about the next "AK480" TOL ? ? :wink:

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #37 of 521
Could somebody here please approach V-MODA and ask about AAC codec support for the Crossfade 2 Wireless? Preferably with an actual test — if they have one. Their support and Val himself are ignoring forum threads and even support requests.

Context: http://www.head-fi.org/t/842582/v-moda-crossfade-2-wireless-we-discuss-it-with-val-kolton-head-fi-tv

Appreciated!

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #38 of 521
  CanJam SoCal 2017 Impressions

Great meet. These are going to be a bit chaotic, but oh well. I brought my HE-6 and my K1000, which a few people were able to try out. Glad the above guy liked them; they're a privilege to own—as long as you like classical music as one of your primary genres, or are willing to dedicate a can just to classical music (see my ongoing review on the HD800 thread).  I only listen to classical music, so unless otherwise specified, ignore my impressions if you don’t care about that genre.

1. …which brings me to Audeze. They did not have Tidal, and their iPad setup only had one or two classical tracks. Suffice it to say that I became very familiar with the first movement of Prokofiev’s First Symphony. The LCD line sounded throughly “fine,” though the LCD-4 definitely failed to live up to its price. LCD-3 sounded a bit better than LCD-2. For ~$400 used, LCD-2 is a great deal! The new “LCD-Pro” is going to be released soon at $1200 and sounds like a smoother LCD-X. It’s also much lighter and includes the carbon fiber headband. VERY COMFORTABLE!!! We’ve schiit on Audeze’s comfort for years, and THEY FINALLY HAVE HEARD US. 

Thank you everyone for organizing a great meet! Will update as more comes to me. Still processing, as always. Sorry, no photos.

Thanks for the impressions!
Particularly interested in more information from other attendees regarding the new LCD headphone.

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #39 of 521
Any impression on JH 'Lola'?

I love IEMs, and Layla has been my "lottery pick" cIEM since I first heard it. After listening yesterday, i think I'd rather have Lola. The dynamic midrange is outstanding and gives vocals an aliveness that is much more reminiscent of full sized cans than in ears. I tried Lola twice, and the second time, had the bass attenuator adjusted slightly east of 1:30, and that was sublime. Great sound across the board, although I personally don't love IEMs with adjustable pots as part of the system.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #40 of 521
I love IEMs, and Layla has been my "lottery pick" cIEM since I first heard it. After listening yesterday, i think I'd rather have Lola. The dynamic midrange is outstanding and gives vocals an aliveness that is much more reminiscent of full sized cans than in ears. I tried Lola twice, and the second time, had the bass attenuator adjusted slightly east of 1:30, and that was sublime. Great sound across the board, although I personally don't love IEMs with adjustable pots as part of the system.

Wow, thanks for your impression. Will 'Lola' also be sold in Universal by the way?

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #42 of 521
Originally Posted by ranfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Will 'Lola' also be sold in Universal by the way?

Will be sold in both Universal and Custom

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #44 of 521
Did anyone check out the new Cavalli chassis? It looks cool and a bit strange at the same time. But it has fans! They're supposed to be silent, but I much prefer the open design of Woo Audio amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back