Car Advice...
Nov 3, 2005 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Hello everyone. My first post in a long time (I have 20 minutes RYOB).

I sold the Hayabusa a few days after I had a fall because of wet+cold conditions. Now I am looking to buy a car (no more bikes for me until I go back to Texas).

I am looking for an Audi A4 in the $5000 - $7000 price range. This means the 1996, 97, 98 cars.

My main requirements:

* V6
* 5 Speed Manual Transmission
* Good condition cosmetically inside and outside
* clean record

Give me your opinion and give me advice about where I can find such a car that meets my requirements.

Thanks!

gs

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 52
I have a 97 1.8T, and these things are pretty expensive to maintain, parts are expensive, and they seem to eat through expensive control arms at an alarming rate. It hasn't stranded me, but every year I seem to be bringing it to the repair shop for something or another.

The 96/97 V6 engine is a dog. Go for the 98 with uprated power.

Nov 3, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 52
I found a 1997 V6 5-speed Manual 145K miles for $5000.00

The "expensive to maintain" is something I am slightly concerned about. This car will only serve me for one year. I will be buying a newer car once I go out into the field (dont want to buy one now because of job-security issues).

1998s go for $10K ?? Any pointers? I am set on a German car because of the "drive" and planted feel...Honda just doesnt do it for me...

Nov 3, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 52
If you are keeping it a year, just go for something that has good resale....a less specialized brand might be easier to turn over. A Maxima sounds like ok for that.

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 52
aww the hayabysa went
frown.gif

how did she survive the fall and how are you dong after kissing some ground?

Nov 3, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
aww the hayabysa went
frown.gif

how did she survive the fall and how are you dong after kissing some ground?

Hayabusa is sold with a new right side mirror and scuffed fairings. I only went down because the front end washed away when I touched the white line
frown.gif
Speed was about 25mph...I was gone from the bike before it hit the ground. Single lane backroad about 5 meters wide...Bike hit the road once and then went into the grass...

Nov 4, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 52
What a shame about the 'busa. Glad you're OK.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to search ebay for stuff in the Triangle that you could go look at.

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 52
if you're concerned about maintenance costs, i wouldn't buy any used luxury car then. the only cars that have decent maintenance costs, if you don't have warrantee, are cheap-o japanese cars that are not performance oriented (hondas). i have a '89 vette... spent $5,000+ on maintenance. my friends who have bmw's tell me their maintenance is insane expensive after the warrantee runs out. i'm just assuming this goes for all luxury cars.

so, it's just my opinion, that if you're low on cash for now, just buy a standard car... honda civic or something like that. then when you have the money, you can buy the car you really want.

really sad that bike is gone though. i remember your huge thread on that thing. but i'm glad you're okay.

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 52
Thanks for the tips guys...I really love the "feel" of the German cars
frown.gif
Hondas feel like tin toys in comparison.

The Busa is gone for now...but it will be back later (a new one) once I know where I am headed. I hope I go back to Austin TX or anywhere in TX because the weather there is perfect for riding.

As for the car - I have to decide within this week so the first sensible car I find will be "it"

gah
rolleyes.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
I'd check into Audi reliability for those particular years. In general, they don't have the best rep for mechanical durability.

The A4 is a great driving car. I had a '98 with a V6 for about 5 years until I gave it up to my brother this summer. He hardly drives, otherwise I would have sold it.

While I loved the car it had a lot of small things go wrong with it. Things like window motors breaking ($400), light switch breaking ($250). I also did a new water pump and timing belt at about 50,000 miles. The oil pans are very low on the V6, so it will hit ground very easily. Mine busted from potholes and speedbumps three times at a cost of $400 each time plus towing.

While the car probably won't depreciate rapidly over one year, the A4 is not the most practical car to buy for short term due to maintenance and such.

Also, Warpdriver is right about the V6 engine from 96/97. Be aware that the engine didn't change until the midway through the 98 year. It changed from 2 valves per cylander to 5 and brought a power and torque increase.

Nov 6, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
The A4 is a great driving car. I had a '98 with a V6 for about 5 years until I gave it up to my brother this summer. He hardly drives, otherwise I would have sold it

Does he want the car? I am desperate here and if you want to sell - please let me know!
frown.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I am set on a German car because of the "drive" and planted feel...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
if you're concerned about maintenance costs, i wouldn't buy any used luxury car then. the only cars that have decent maintenance costs, if you don't have warrantee, are cheap-o japanese cars that are not performance oriented (hondas).

That's very good advice. Maintenance/repair costs on German cars can be huge. You'll really get that "planted" feel when your car's sitting immobilized in the parking lot because you can't afford to fix it.

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
That's very good advice. Maintenance/repair costs on German cars can be huge. You'll really get that "planted" feel when your car's sitting immobilized in the parking lot because you can't afford to fix it.

LOL

eggosmile.gif

Just got a call from the owner of a 1997 Audi A4 V6 Quattro 5spd Manual with 145K miles...he wants $5000.00

gah
frown.gif
want it so bad but you guys are giving me reason to pause. I thought that for the money - this is a lot of car. The engine is powerful (cannot imagine how the upgraded one runs
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I think I will look for a 98/99 Audi A4 for about $8000.00 - have the bugs on the 96/97 been fixed on these models? (front control arms etc.)

Nov 6, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
if you're concerned about maintenance costs, i wouldn't buy any used luxury car then. the only cars that have decent maintenance costs, if you don't have warrantee, are cheap-o japanese cars that are not performance oriented (hondas). my friends who have bmw's tell me their maintenance is insane expensive after the warrantee runs out.

so, it's just my opinion, that if you're low on cash for now, just buy a standard car... honda civic or something like that. then when you have the money, you can buy the car you really want.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. The smaller Audis were always known to have more problems than its larger sibling, A6. Besides I don't know why you want V6 so badly when Audis are NOT known for their engine like BMWs. Perhaps it's better with four banger turbo.

If I were you I'd look into newer VW PASSAT which basically is the same car for less money since you want a German car. Even the VR6 engine was far more lively and infinitely better feel than Audi lackluster V6. I drove many vw/audi/porsches in the past and I have to rate Audi V6 is below average when compared to BMWs inline 6 and Porsche Boxer 6. Maybe the newest V6 is quite an improvement, but I know what I prefer, Alfa V6, Bmw I6, Porsche B6 anytime anywhere.

Anyway I would suggest VW Passat. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back