Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Dec 2, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #4,861 of 6,488
Thankyou Andy you must have convinced someone because I just got an offer of guaranteed servicing I wouldn't have to pay for, after a month of asking for that.

They're still considering my warranty void which I think is a bit contradictory but at this point I'll take anything.

A month ago, 8 days after I wrote and got the dealer to bug them, the rep at RSM finally said:

"We are sorry for your issue. We have seen issues previously where the HA300 is damaged by installing defective tubes. I apologize but as you had purchased and installed these aftermarket tubes the warranty is no longer applicable.

For this situation we suggest you contact our U.S. Repair Partner, VAS Audio. They have extensive knowledge on the HA300 and are the repair service we recommend for all non-warranty issues."
https://vasnyinc.com/

after my reply:

"Please know that installing different tubes is suggested, though the use of non-Cayin products that causes damage to the HA300 is not considered a manufacturer’s defect."

"Our initial assessment is this is a issue caused by the installation of non-factory tubes. You will need to ship the HA300 to VAS Industries and cover the cost of the shipping fees. Our Engineer will assess the HA300 and determine the cause of the issue and the solution to repair the unit. Should the issue be caused by a manufacturing defect, we will pay for the repair and the shipping cost to send back to you. Should the cost of the defect be non-related to a manufacturing defect you will be required to pay for the repair and the shipping cost to return to you." (how would they determine that?)

The rep at Cayin kept repeating:

"1. All our warranty is only covered by its original owner at its original selling territory. As for your case the unit should be sold in USA and you can only get warranty from our USA agents.
2. All our warranty service is given by our local agent. If there were any warranty issues please feel free to get contact with our local agent. On your case it is RSM as we advised to you. (in fact they were referring me to VAS but also said "VAS INC is not our authorized agent. We have stopped cooperation with them for years." confusing)
3. Any defective out of self modification will not be covered by our warranty. " (this sounds like it actually refers to opening up the amp, not rolling tubes but they're using this to tell me rolling new WE300B's voids the warranty)

"Our local agent in Canada for your reference is as below:
In order to guarantee the validity of warranty in future please buy our products there locally. " (I guess they're assuming the only reason I was still asking for warranty is as if I didn't want to pay shipping to the states - but in fact it's the principle of the warranty being void for rolling tubes and the guarantee of servicing being covered by Cayin when I haven't done anything wrong and the WE tubes have been tested as perfect)
"First and most important mistake you've made is that you have not bought the unit from local authorized agent. If you bought there locally your issue can be easily taken care of by our local agent." (suggesting in fact that perhaps the reason I'm being refused warranty is that Cayin doesn't want to have to pay for the shipping across the border)

Just to be clear because it's being named I would never dare hot swap.

I think people should know about this discrepancy between what the manual is suggesting and how Cayin and some distributors respond when their units fail after rolling tubes. Perhaps buying across borders and language barriers are an issue but at the core there is a real issue here of subjective policy that leads to the worst experience of customer service I've ever had, particularly for a premium product.

If you click the big Support button on Cayin's website it simply reads:

"Cayin products are represented and offered by its Authorized International Distributors and Dealers. Any products sold via authorized Distributors or Dealers are covered by Cayin's warranty. The warranty is for the sole benefit of the original purchaser of the covered product. If there were any service issues please get contact with your local authorized Distributor or Dealer. If case you want to get contact with Cayin Directly please send your inquiries to service@cayin.cn. "

In a case where neither dealer nor distributor actually honor warranty or help a consumer whose product fails, to be frank I think this is representative of Cayin washing their hands of responsibility beyond the manufacturing process. That's not a warranty to begin with in my understanding.

Now if I can get this baby working again with the help of VAS and I'm not charged for it beyond shipping to the states, mostly all is well again, but I still won't be allowed warranty for the remaining 8 months of that term and this back and forth has been absolutely exhausting. If the so-called perfect WE 300B tubes did cause it to fail should I really trust the amp with them even after it's fixed? Why would I subject myself to this whole process again?

Thanks again for your help everyone.
Thanks for sharing. I've had ups and downs like that as well over the years with different companies (most of them not audio related). Fwiw those amps are not known to fail, so hopefully yours will also be bullet proof after that. If you read this thread you'll notice that at least 70% is about rolling 😅

Hope your case will have a happy end, let us know how it went. You need to hear those WE. Maybe try to put them in some other amp in the meantime just to be sure they are fine 🤔

Tubes can be a roller coster ride at times, but at the end of the day the sound you'll get will blow your mind every single day and there is absolutely no way to get even close with SS, its just how it is. That's why we're all here 😂

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #4,862 of 6,488
Edit: ignore this post. Finally found a decent photo that shows it as 3-pin (and also had it confirmed by my dealer!). Some of the renders like this one show it as a 4-pin. Which isn't correct (and had me panicking for a minute!)

Awaiting patiently for my HA-300 MK2 to be shipped next week.

I just ordered XLR cables for it. Took another look at its XLR inputs and it looks like it takes two 4-pole XLR inputs. Can anyone verify this? I'd have expected it to use 3-pole for the L&R inputs.

I planned on using my Topping A90 as a pre-amp. It has two 3-pole XLR outputs. Does anyone know if that'd cause an issue?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #4,863 of 6,488
I just ordered XLR cables for it. Took another look at its XLR inputs and it looks like it takes two 4-pole XLR inputs. Can anyone verify this? I'd have expected it to use 3-pole for the L&R inputs.
i have no idea why google shows the back panel of the ha300mk2 to have 4 pin xlr at the back; but yes it has the standard 3 pin xlr for inputs

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #4,864 of 6,488
i have no idea why google shows the back panel of the ha300mk2 to have 4 pin xlr at the back; but yes it has the standard 3 pin xlr for inputs
The pictures you find on the internet are mostly renders. So I'm guessing they just made a mistake that was missed all this time.

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #4,865 of 6,488
Dec 2, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #4,866 of 6,488
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #4,867 of 6,488
Has anyone compared this gorgeous amp to the Feliks Euforia EVO?

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #4,869 of 6,488
Has anyone compared this gorgeous amp to the Feliks Euforia EVO?
i have tried the euforia evo and currently own the cayin mk2

what headphones are you using and what kinda sound signature are you looking for?

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #4,870 of 6,488
Utopia with HA300MK2 ER300B and Sophia / Full Music 6SN7 appreciation time ...

Wow, Utopia is a very unique headphone with tube amps. For me with my HA300 setup it bangs SO HARD and has so much magic I can't put it down in the last few days, it's SO GOOD. It has thumping bass, totl detail, very wide stage, great layering, dynamics can take your head off clean, it's amazing. I'm listening to all sorts of electronica and EDM and it slams so hard, but also has this seductive "magical" but realistic presentation. It's not a reference sound, and it's definitely for bass heads who don't mind some midbass slam, but I'm enjoying it so much. I was even listening to Mad Dogs set from Thunderdome (warning, this is very hard EDM, not something I listen to a lot but from time to time I like to let it loose) yesterday jumping like a maniac next to the amp ... in my head I was in that club there and then!

If I played it that loud on my speakers my neighbours would either storm the flat with pitchforks or call the police :)

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #4,871 of 6,488
Utopia with HA300MK2 ER300B and Sophia / Full Music 6SN7 appreciation time ...

Wow, Utopia is a very unique headphone with tube amps. For me with my HA300 setup it bangs SO HARD and has so much magic I can't put it down in the last few days, it's SO GOOD. It has thumping bass, totl detail, very wide stage, great layering, dynamics can take your head off clean, it's amazing. I'm listening to all sorts of electronica and EDM and it slams so hard, but also has this seductive "magical" but realistic presentation. It's not a reference sound, and it's definitely for bass heads who don't mind some midbass slam, but I'm enjoying it so much. I was even listening to Mad Dogs set from Thunderdome (warning, this is very hard EDM, not something I listen to a lot but from time to time I like to let it loose) yesterday jumping like a maniac next to the amp ... in my head I was in that club there and then!

If I played it that loud on my speakers my neighbours would either storm the flat with pitchforks or call the police :)

Thanks for sharing. I also love the Utopia on the Cayin HA-300B MK2! It's a powerful and clean sound that has texture and weight to it. A real top of the line experience.

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #4,872 of 6,488
My HA-300 MK2 finally arrived after a couple of weeks of serious anticipation.

I have to say, I'm really upset by the whole ordeal. Why did no one tell me it was infinitely better than the Topping A90? It probably should have went without saying. I just didn't believe the difference would be this ridiculous. I love it.

Finally my HD800S don't sound like absolute rubbish. First headphone I tried because it doesn't run well at all on the Topping A90. Soundstage exploded, it had good bass (which I still can't wrap my head around), and just all round made me happy. Surreal. That combo made a live track sound like it was played right in front of me

Switched to my other new toy, the Final D8000 Limited Edition. I'm still getting used to the headphone so it's not as shocking of a change, but it's really nice.

Can't wait to try my utopias and all my iems. Going to be a fun time.

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #4,873 of 6,488

I have to say, I'm really upset by the whole ordeal. Why did no one tell me it was infinitely better than the Topping A90? It probably should have went without saying. I just didn't believe the difference would be this ridiculous. I love it.

Finally my HD800S don't sound like absolute rubbish. First headphone I tried because it doesn't run well at all on the Topping A90. Soundstage exploded, it had good bass (which I still can't wrap my head around), and just all round made me happy. Surreal. That combo made a live track sound like it was played right in front of me

Switched to my other new toy, the Final D8000 Limited Edition. I'm still getting used to the headphone so it's not as shocking of a change, but it's really nice.

Congratulations!! And I think your love and appreciation will grow in time.

I received mine in the middle of Sept and for me it really took another 3 weeks for all the tubes and capacitors and input & output transformers to burn in. It definitely sounded fantastic out of the box but sounded even better. More refined and more complete after a few weeks time. Enjoy. And please share your experience regarding the Utopia paring.

:k701smile:

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #4,874 of 6,488

Enjoy :) month to burn in, then roll tubes. This amp will blow your mind many more times :)

Also no offence but going from A90 to this is like going from Fiat Panda to a Bugatti (also no offence to Fiat Panda owners, it's a solid little car 😊).

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #4,875 of 6,488

Enjoy, it's a great amp.

After you let the tubes burn in for about 150 to 200 hours, and you start tube rolling it only gets better.

Read through the posts to help you decide what to roll within your price range and sound preference and you will have lots of fun tube rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back