Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
May 10, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #6,361 of 6,477
So an impedance mismatch?
This seems like an obvious answer to my question. BUT! For what reason have I only heard this effect for the last few months, although I have owned the amplifier for more than a year?
If it were only an impedance mismatch, then I would have heard this sound feature immediately (from the moment I purchased the amplifier or from the moment the burn-in period ended).
It looks like a combination of several factors at once.
As soon as the opportunity arises, I will try to send the amplifier for diagnostics. Perhaps this will shed light on the reasons for this effect.

May 10, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #6,362 of 6,477
This seems like an obvious answer to my question. BUT! For what reason have I only heard this effect for the last few months, although I have owned the amplifier for more than a year?
If it were only an impedance mismatch, then I would have heard this sound feature immediately (from the moment I purchased the amplifier or from the moment the burn-in period ended).
It looks like a combination of several factors at once.
As soon as the opportunity arises, I will try to send the amplifier for diagnostics. Perhaps this will shed light on the reasons for this effect.
Youve had the Abyss headphones for 1 year on this amp? With my susvaras has has never become any "worse" over time. I tube swap all the time and it blows my mind. Maybe if you have only recently observed it then its worth a checkup. Please post back in the group if you do.

May 10, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #6,363 of 6,477
Youve had the Abyss headphones for 1 year on this amp? With my susvaras has has never become any "worse" over time. I tube swap all the time and it blows my mind. Maybe if you have only recently observed it then its worth a checkup. Please post back in the group if you do.
I purchased 1266 and DСA 2 years ago, i.e. before the amplifier. I have only heard this feature of the amplifier’s sound with these headphones for the last few months.
I also listen to these headphones with other amplifiers, they are indicated in my signature. The sound of the headphones on other amplifiers has not changed over the past year (i.e. the problem is not in the headphones).

May 10, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #6,364 of 6,477
Im aiming for maximum warmth and tubyness. I just popped this in because my buddy loaned me 3 sets of 6sn7. This is my first roll in the cayin except for my WE clone 300b from cossor (which didn't have nearly this big of an effect vs gold lion as the sylvania did vs tung sol new prod).
Hmm…my personal MAXIMUM TUBINESS!! roll might be WE300b and Brimars? I have old 6J5 in particular. But I haven’t actually tried that combo yet, so I’ll have to soon.

A lot of internet people say RCA smoked glass 6SN7 are the tubeyist, but I just never caught on with them in the Cayin. My opinion, of course, you might like them. Later versions like I’m assuming the GTB you showed are are apparently less toobey. But try ‘em why not!

May 10, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #6,365 of 6,477
Guys, try running 1266 and Susvara from the speaker terminals (you need to solder an adapter), my TC sounds miles better from the speaker taps. Like it has a lot more room to breathe.
That's a interesting idea, do you think it's something that could benefit the ZMF Caldera? (lower power requirement than those two) Would a 4 pin XLR input work on this adapter? (my main cable is 4 pin).

May 10, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #6,366 of 6,477
Guys, try running 1266 and Susvara from the speaker terminals (you need to solder an adapter), my TC sounds miles better from the speaker taps. Like it has a lot more room to breathe.
What kind of adapter would I need to use to run my Susvara (XLR cable) from the speaker terminals? Could you please provide details?

Why would it sound better? I presently never use my Susvara with the Cayin HA300BMK2 because it sounds thin and bright and not full-bodied. I only use my Meze Empy Elite headphone.

Jeff.

May 11, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #6,367 of 6,477
What kind of adapter would I need to use to run my Susvara (XLR cable) from the speaker terminals? Could you please provide details?

Why would it sound better? I presently never use my Susvara with the Cayin HA300BMK2 because it sounds thin and bright and not full-bodied. I only use my Meze Empy Elite headphone.

Jeff.
I made the first prototype myself to check if it works, and then asked a mate based in Germany to make a nice one for me :) attaching pics of the connectors and cable he used. This cable is amazing and shoots way above it's price point. Banana plugs are the lowest mass to reduce impedance. In general awesome adapter at a very reasonabe price. You can solder one yourself (I recommend solder with silver) or PM me if you want a nicely done one I can share contact to the maker of my one.

20240511_072144_HDR.jpg
20240511_072735.jpg
20240511_072151_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #6,369 of 6,477
May 11, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #6,370 of 6,477

Jeff.
Have i understood correctly, in order to use off the back of speaker outs, you need a seperate and additional Pre amp? Otherwise its full ouput i believe? I thought i read something about no preamp in speaker out circuit. So no running headphones off the back without additional boxes.

May 11, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #6,371 of 6,477
Have i understood correctly, in order to use off the back of speaker outs, you need a seperate and additional Pre amp? Otherwise its full ouput i believe? I thought i read something about no preamp in speaker out circuit. So no running headphones off the back without additional boxes.
No, just the cable. It's only 8w in HA300 anyway.

May 11, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #6,372 of 6,477
I made the first prototype myself to check if it works, and then asked a mate based in Germany to make a nice one for me :) attaching pics of the connectors and cable he used. This cable is amazing and shoots way above it's price point. Banana plugs are the lowest mass to reduce impedance. In general awesome adapter at a very reasonabe price. You can solder one yourself (I recommend solder with silver) or PM me if you want a nicely done one I can share contact to the maker of my one.

20240511_072144_HDR.jpg
20240511_072735.jpg
20240511_072151_HDR.jpg
What is the outgoing resistance at the amplifier terminals? What damping factor is obtained when connected to 1266 terminals? Could the sound characteristics of the 1266 connected to the terminals be related to the damping factor alone?

May 11, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #6,373 of 6,477
What is the outgoing resistance at the amplifier terminals? What damping factor is obtained when connected to 1266 terminals? Could the sound characteristics of the 1266 connected to the terminals be related to the damping factor alone?
No idea but it sounds a lot fuller and treble is less sharp. Afaik it's a different output stage.

May 11, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #6,375 of 6,477

Users who are viewing this thread

Back