Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Apr 30, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #2,116 of 2,332
This is closer to what you would see in reality:
PXL_20240429_222030996.PORTRAIT.jpg
I didn't know vacuum tubes could glow blue, so I asked ChatGPT.:
Vacuum tubes glow blue due to a phenomenon called Cherenkov radiation. When high-speed electrons pass through a vacuum, they can exceed the speed of light in that medium, emitting blue light as a result. This effect is commonly observed in certain types of vacuum tubes, such as cathode-ray tubes (CRTs) used in old TVs and computer monitors.

Imo, this is impressive. I wish tubes were the like one of these fashions that comes over and over, and factories start producing them again. I know there are some in production, but good old nos quality I mean.

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #2,117 of 2,332
I didn't know vacuum tubes could glow blue, so I asked ChatGPT.:
Vacuum tubes glow blue due to a phenomenon called Cherenkov radiation. When high-speed electrons pass through a vacuum, they can exceed the speed of light in that medium, emitting blue light as a result. This effect is commonly observed in certain types of vacuum tubes, such as cathode-ray tubes (CRTs) used in old TVs and computer monitors.

Imo, this is impressive. I wish tubes were the like one of these fashions that comes over and over, and factories start producing them again. I know there are some in production, but good old nos quality I mean.
Yes, it is super cool. 😎 :)

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #2,118 of 2,332
Yes, it is super cool. 😎 :)
My stock tube glowed blue until one failed due to a faulty amp, the Gold Lions in my replacement amp also have a very feint blue glow. The replacement amp is sounding awesome with the Gold Lions, 12Au7 & 6v6. Very holographic compared with my original amp which was obviously not quite right.
IMG_2619.jpeg

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #2,119 of 2,332
It's amazing. Didn't know we had little particles accelerators at home 🤯

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #2,121 of 2,332
My stock tube glowed blue until one failed due to a faulty amp, the Gold Lions in my replacement amp also have a very feint blue glow. The replacement amp is sounding awesome with the Gold Lions, 12Au7 & 6v6. Very holographic compared with my original amp which was obviously not quite right. IMG_2619.jpeg
Glad you can finally enjoy this great amp!

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #2,122 of 2,332
Well hey, they do glow! It's still afternoon and it's very hard to see in the light - when I attempted to get the room darker and through the camera it did come through much clearer. Also the left tube is less glow-y, but still, very cool!

DSCF6799.jpg

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #2,123 of 2,332
Well hey, they do glow! It's still afternoon and it's very hard to see in the light - when I attempted to get the room darker and through the camera it did come through much clearer. Also the left tube is less glow-y, but still, very cool!

DSCF6799.jpg
What E80CC is that?

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #2,124 of 2,332
What E80CC is that?
Pair of Valvo white labels I picked up on ebay - these matched with the Bendix are probably my favourite set of the tubes I've got. Very impactful, dynamic and big sounding. My other e80cc are Tungsrams (yellow label) and they also sound great with the Bendix, but a little smoother. Can take them out for a closeup pic later if you want.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #2,125 of 2,332
Pair of Valvo white labels I picked up on ebay - these matched with the Bendix are probably my favourite set of the tubes I've got. Very impactful, dynamic and big sounding. My other e80cc are Tungsrams (yellow label) and they also sound great with the Bendix, but a little smoother. Can take them out for a closeup pic later if you want.
Didn't know the ha-3a could get e80cc. Don't they have higher gain and different plate resistance?

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #2,126 of 2,332
Apr 30, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #2,127 of 2,332
I almost thought you had some special design on your amp, a glitter in the sky effect, but then I realized it was just dust :sweat_smile:

Nice tubes by the way lol
It's a sky effect. Light from the rooftop window reflects like little stars on the dust haha⭐
I absolutely love the blue glow of the properly warmed up Bendix tubes. (Picture saturation slightly enhanced.)
On a different note, my first E80CC tubes (Mullards) are coming in a few days. I am really interested to hear how they differ to some already fabulous 12AU7s.

Lovely, I have many versions of Sylvania 6v6 but never saw this glow. I have blue glow like that with my military GE 6v6gt or RFT 6v6gt.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #2,130 of 2,332
You’re welcome.

I bought my HA-3A from an authorized dealer (AD). I did have an issue with my unit not turning on at one point. The AD was responsive and helped me troubleshoot. I found issue to be with the stock power cable. I think I damaged it when I moved the unit and cable detached while power was still turned on. It’s inexpensive and easy to replace so I bought a new cable.
Thanks for sharing, Dexterama. From a quality standpoint, I am leaning towards Feliks, but I wonder if the higher price point is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back