Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Nov 28, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #1,801 of 1,946
I'm considering upgrading to the HA-6A from my current HA-3A.

Besides the power increase, is there any sonic improvements when going to the HA-6A?

I was lucky enough to try ha-6a side-by-side with ha-3a during my purchase of the amp. I was very keen on getting the ha-3a due to its size for my desktop setup, but that changed once I tried the ha-6a.

Imho, ha-6a is definitely the better sounding amp with more options for tube rolling (can be seen as a cons as you're more likely to spend more down the rabbit hole lol).

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,803 of 1,946
Any upgrades y’all can recommend for the stock 17AX4GT (as, sadly, my HA-6A amp did not come configured with the 22DE4)? Thanks in advance.

I've tried a few different ones, but ultimately preferred the RCA. I need to go back and listen more, however. Plus, it depends on what tubes are matching with it. I'm not sure that there is one tube is perfect for all scenarios.

Dec 2, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #1,804 of 1,946
Excited to try my first tube upgrade on the Cayin. Went all out with the Telefunken G73-Rs; figured my recent high-end tube amp purchase deserved a TOTL tube. Will update after they come in and I give them a good listen.

IMG_1383.jpeg

Yay. No him or hiss upon plug in. Going to do a pink noise burn in for a few hours prior to posting my initial subjective review.

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,805 of 1,946
IMG_1383.jpeg

Yay. No him or hiss upon plug in. Going to do a pink noise burn in for a few hours prior to posting my initial subjective review.
I know a tube seller who had a full case of those. Sold them cheap to another seller who sold them at market price, making an extremely good profit. :^( . . . :^)

Dec 5, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #1,807 of 1,946
Dec 8, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #1,808 of 1,946
Added some power tubes :) SE KT88-STs. Finally getting close to the sound signature I like; interesting as I now prefer TR over UL using the KT88 vs stock EL34 (as I find the treble to be too piercing using UL). With stock EL34 I almost always used UL mode.

Anywho, I’m going to let this setup settle in and down for a few months before I research upgrading my DAC. Right now, I feel like I could use a bit smoother of a sound with the same technicality and detail retrieval. Perhaps a higher-end R2R (e.g., Yggy, Pontus 2, Spring) may do the trick?

IMG_1433.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #1,809 of 1,946
Added some power tubes :) SE KT88-STs. Finally getting close to the sound signature I like; interesting as I now prefer TR over UL using the KT88 vs stock EL34 (as I find the treble to be too piercing using UL). With stock EL34 I almost always used UL mode.

Anywho, I’m going to let this setup settle in and down for a few months before I research upgrading my DAC. Right now, I feel like I could use a bit smoother of a sound with the same technicality and detail retrieval. Perhaps a higher-end R2R (e.g., Yggy, Pontus 2, Spring) may do the trick?

IMG_1433.jpeg
Yo, great setup my friend, I wonder how they compare to GL KT88....

I found my definitive and endgame dac with Pontus II using 1.0 firmware (you have 2 more firmwares with dif sound signature so I consider it total endgame)

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,810 of 1,946
I can definately recommend the Yggdrasil, it is smooth yet not damped over like some excessive smoothed over gear, it still retains the vibrancy and detail of real music and with its very natural sound no one finds it fatiguing (I am speaking about the Yggy A2/OG, you can read online how the LIM & now MIB differ from it) will be a giant upgrade from the Mojo 2 (which I actually have as my OTG usage).

You never did tell us what the G73-Rs sounds like, im especially interested in how it sounds versus other top popular 12AU7s.

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #1,811 of 1,946
You never did tell us what the G73-Rs sounds like, im especially interested in how it sounds versus other top popular 12AU7s.

To my ears the biggest change was in clarity. I didn’t use the HA-6A with the stock 12AU7s for very long; so honestly, not much of a reference to base a comparison. Rather, “well that’s a lot more clear and punchy” came to mind. With the stock rectifiers and power tubes, I personally considered the G73-Rs to be “too sharp” for my tastes. This was balanced by switching to a KT88. Listening was done on a ZMF Caldera.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #1,812 of 1,946

IMG_1433.jpeg
There was recently a Merason DAC-1 offer in the classifieds. It is just liquid like analog. I see it now closed, unfortunately.

Dec 10, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #1,813 of 1,946
Hello everybody, I am a new member of the forum and I come to introduce my chain: Source occupy a macbook pro, from dac a rme adi-2 dac fs, amplifier a cayin HA-6A and headsets the exquisite Susvara. The cayin I have with the gold lion KT88s of power stage and some tungsram in the pre-stage. I bought some Mazda Nos to replace the tungsram but they haven't reached me yet. As soon as I get there, I'll report the change in the sound.
Greetings

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #1,814 of 1,946
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 1, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #1,815 of 1,946
Just ordered the HA-6A and a bit overwhelmed reading through the pages on tube replacements. Going to be primarily running my Meze Elite and perhaps sometimes my Elysian Annihilator/Symphonium Crimson. I've seen various recommendations like the KT88s, Gold Lion 88s, KT88-ST and really not sure what direction to go. Googling some of these tubes as well, I'm not sure what sites are reliable and I'm a little worried I'd be ordering the wrong thing. Can anyone recommend and shoot some links for 2 x 22DE4, 2 x AU7EH and 2x EL34EH?

I was thinking for the EL34 - https://sophiaelectric.com/collections/vacuum-tubes/products/pages-se-kt88
and potentially replacing the 22DE4 and 12AU7 with something from the same site but I'm pretty clueless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back