Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jan 31, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #2,716 of 3,742
I guess my point is there are always things we would like to change about a dap or headphones. If you are happy, for the most part with a product, then you should still be happy with your product. The fact a a newer model is released or a lesser model in this case with different features shouldn't change whether you like what you already have. The i5 is a great, easy to listen to dap. There are newer models of Android and yes I agree they should have used that on the i5. I also was aware prior to purchase that this was the case as I must assume you were if you did your research prior to your purchase.

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #2,717 of 3,742
I am not freaking out, I just find it disappointing. It is not like Bluetooth 4.0 AptX is a technical breakthrough which was not available at the time when the i5 was introduced.
(Actually even 4.0 is pretty much outdated already)

And telling in this thread hundreds of reasons why it was not possible to implement it into the i5 but then simply putting it into their new entry level device does not exactly add
to their credibility. Same goes for the handling of the "case of the case".

Yes, I am happy with the i5 as it is and have no issues with it. I also do not care much about later Android-versions as they have problems with the smapling rate.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #2,719 of 3,742
@nmatheis

Hm, frustration is not the right term. I would just call it disappointment as it seems to me Cayin is not very honest to customers.
For sure their credibility is suffering from this move.

As mentioned, I am not unhappy with the i5 as you might have noticed when following this thread. I will see what future FW will bring. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #2,720 of 3,742
@nmatheis

Hm, frustration is not the right term. I would just call it disappointment as it seems to me Cayin is not very honest to customers.
For sure their credibility is suffering from this move.

As mentioned, I am not unhappy with the i5 as you might have noticed when following this thread. I will see what future FW will bring. 

I hear you, bro. It's not a good feeling when a lower price gadget is released with a feature you wanted in your fancier, higher priced gadget. But that just happens sometimes, and you gotta move on...

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #2,721 of 3,742
The two new units coming out that I am most interested in checking out at the moment would be the X5 III and the new Cayin.  I certainly admired the i5 and NMatheis says very good things about the N5.

For me this probably replaces my venerable FIIO X3II and may be give my Shanling M2 a  run for its money.  My new rule:  now more than three DAP players at any given time.  (Why that  number?  It is how many I have right now).  Well, I am not counting my old ipods that still work.....

This hobby has a way of creeping up on you.  I probably have six or seven fairly good IEM units right now, and a few earbuds and over the ear units too.  About four or five  more than I really need.

Hey Andy, if you tour this unit I am very interested.

With regard to the i5, by the way, I also experienced the sudden battery drainage with the i5.   I couldn't explain what caused that behavior.  Probably did not turn it off properly one night.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #2,722 of 3,742
I hear you, bro. It's not a good feeling when a lower price gadget is released with a feature you wanted in your fancier, higher priced gadget. But that just happens sometimes, and you gotta move on...

I could live easier with it if they had introduced it in a i6 at a higher price point....Which I am sure we will see soon also...

At least the N3 does not get two card slots!

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #2,723 of 3,742
  The two new units coming out that I am most interested in checking out at the moment would be the X5 III and the new Cayin.  I certainly admired the i5 and NMatheis says very good things about the N5.

For me this probably replaces my venerable FIIO X3II and may be give my Shanling M2 a  run for its money.  My new rule:  now more than three DAP players at any given time.  (Why that  number?  It is how many I have right now).  Well, I am not counting my old ipods that still work.....

This hobby has a way of creeping up on you.  I probably have six or seven fairly good IEM units right now, and a few earbuds and over the ear units too.  About four or five  more than I really need.

Hey Andy, if you tour this unit I am very interested.

With regard to the i5, by the way, I also experienced the sudden battery drainage with the i5.   I couldn't explain what caused that behavior.  Probably did not turn it off properly one night.

Do you mean an i5 or N3 tour @originalsnuffy? And if you want to try N5, just let me know, bro 
wink.gif

I could live easier with it if they had introduced it in a i6 at a higher price point....Which I am sure we will see soon also...

At least the N3 does not get two card slots!

I'm guessing there'll be an updated  N5 before we see i6. Just a guess. Don't hold me to it...

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #2,724 of 3,742
I am more than happy with my i5 from a sound quality perspective. Better than any of the other DAP's that I have owned/tried.  

Am I frustrated that the new N3 will have better Bluetooth? Not really as, for me, it is not a feature that I use. I also am realistic in that Cayin cannot for the foreseeable future keep implementing an old version of Bluetooth in new models so as not to upset i5 users. 

This is not to say I don't appreciate that users who take advantage of Bluetooth are now disappointed that the i5 lags behind in the this area. But surely this is something they were aware of when they made their original purchase?

Having looked at the specs on the N3 it is clearly not an i5 lite to so speak and I cannot see a reason for going for the cheaper model. 

I am now hoping that some of my frustrations with the player will now be sorted with a significant firmware update such as gapless (please!!) and album sorting. I would also like to be able to save different equaliser settings and label them as I subtly change them for the 3 different pairs of headphones that I use.  

Overall, as I said initially, this is a superb sounding player first with what feels like a kitchen sink approach to features that the hardware at times struggles to keep up with. I have to confess that I was initially blinded by everything that it could do and in succession have left many of the features behind in order to simply focus on the operating the i5 as a simple music player. I thought I would use Tidal more but as I use the i5 in my office away from my router this is not practical as it cannot pick up a wi-fi signal. The same with listening to music from my Network Hard Drive this is painfully slow for me.

I was also blinded by many of the reviews and awards online that somehow did not pick on any of the issues that many of the forum members here seemed to spot quite easily. But that is a different story. 

Hopefully, the above does not sound too bleak. It is not meant to. 

I will reiterate once again for those on the fence thinking of buying this DAP - it is a superlative sounding player able to drive a wide variety of IEM's with, in the most part, a straightforward UI packaged in an attractive case. This makes it a keeper for me.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #2,728 of 3,742
I am more than happy with my i5 from a sound quality perspective. Better than any of the other DAP's that I have owned/tried.  

Thank you very much for your support and honest sharing,

I am in the middle of packing up as I'll be flying to New York tomorrow morning, I have been lacking behind in the i5 discussion, I hope I can make it up while I am in NYC. With the factory temporary offline since 21st Jan and I have been working on the CanJam NYC preparation all by myself in past two weeks, my online support are indeed way beyond my regular practice, for that I apologized.

To be honest, I am lost track on the latest beta firmware for i5, I know there is one beta version came out before Chinese New Year but we couldn't finished the internal audit of the firmware before we break for Chinese New Year, so we have to leave it till second week of February when we resume duty. I know for sure that we are still working on the gapless and sorting problem, but without the confirmation from internal audit, I really can't report any solid progress. I'll back to Hong Kong on 9th and resume duty on 11th, I promised to follow up with the i5 firmware as soon as I resume duty after the NYC trip.

There is one thing I can certainly promised: Cayin will not give up on i5 firmware development because of new emerging products. In fact we have postponed our product development in order to give more room for i5 firmware already. Our original schedule was to develop TWO new DAP per years, this is a very slow-paced schedule given the size and involvement of Cayin. The fact is i5 is the only new DAP from Cayin in 2016, the N3 was originally scheduled for late 2016, have been deferred till March 2017, and the two DAP that was originally scheduled for 2017 will be deferred till Q3 and Q4 of 2017. i5 has been and will be our focus, so please stay put for a while, I'll come back to the i5 community here after the CanJam show promptly.

Back to my Shenzhen office yesterday for the first time after the Chinese New Year + CanJam NYC break.. We are working on the Firmware V2.2 release right now. Hopefully the Domestic version will be available with 24 hours, and the International version will be release by 22nd Feb 2017.

This firmware will focus on the USB Audio output feature, not much has been done on other bug fixed. We have spend considerable amount of time on the refinement for Tidal app, and I'll provide a detail report on the situation of Tidal as soon as possible, so please stay tune if you are concerned on the Tidal issue of Cayin i5 DAP.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back