Cayin iDAP-8 streamer and iDAC-8 DAC
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #109 of 114
Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, so I'll ask now... I noticed the iDAP-8 comes with Google Play installed. Does this mean I can install Tidal or Apple Music on the streamer?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #110 of 114
Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, so I'll ask now... I noticed the iDAP-8 comes with Google Play installed. Does this mean I can install Tidal or Apple Music on the streamer?
PopZeus

Yes, I was able to use Google Play store to load Neutron Player, Amazon Music and SirusXM Radio streaming to my IDAP-8 without any issues

Been a little bit of a road as when I first got the device it did not sound as good as my N7 plugged into my DAC, but after working with Cayin (Thank You John) and MusicTeck (Thanks Andrew) I was able to sort some things out and its now sounding as good as any other device I've been feeding my DAC into my headphone amp without issues

Working on a write up and will post soon

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #111 of 114
PopZeus

Yes, I was able to use Google Play store to load Neutron Player, Amazon Music and SirusXM Radio streaming to my IDAP-8 without any issues

Been a little bit of a road as when I first got the device it did not sound as good as my N7 plugged into my DAC, but after working with Cayin (Thank You John) and MusicTeck (Thanks Andrew) I was able to sort some things out and its now sounding as good as any other device I've been feeding my DAC into my headphone amp without issues

Working on a write up and will post soon
Interesting...I would like to know more about how the sound evolved for the better.

Yeah, this is looking to be an interesting competitor to Eversolo A6, maybe. At least to me, since I don't necessarily want an onboard DAC for my streamer. Now we need a version in black!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #112 of 114
really enjoyed this stack in the zmf booth at axpona 2024 - slanted screen is :fire: - hyper mode and tubes on the dac give this some alternate flavors

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #113 of 114
1713924335455.jpeg

Announcement of Cayin iDAP-8 Firmware v1.6

https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/632.html

New Functions and System Optimization
  • Replace the Audio Setting menu on the Main desktop with a new ”Music Setting” menu on the Main Desktop, which provides more playback and music-related control features
  • Add a new feature in the local Music Player to convert DSD512 to PCM
  • Add a new feature in local Music Player to allow users to specify the output sampling rate (44.1kHz,88.2kHz,176.4kHz,352.8kHz) when converting DSD to PCM
  • Repair the problem that TADIL cannot exit from the playback interface after starting playback.
  • Other optimization and modification.

A Kind Reminder to iDAP-8 Firmware Upgrade

Each version of firmware might contain minor differences, consumer please decide on your own accord whether you need to update the firmware of your iDAP-8 Network Player.

Under normal circumstances, firmware upgrades will not cause any damage to user information, but Cayin cannot exclude the possibility of upgrade failure due to malfunction or any other reason. For these reasons, we strongly suggest you remove all storage devices connected to the network player before you perform the firmware upgrade.

The iDAP-8 firmware cannot be used in other products, and the firmware from other products cannot be used in iDAP-8

Firmware Upgrade Procedure

The v1.6 involves system-level updates that can only be completed through manual firmware procedures. OTA firmware update is not available to this firmware. In addition, please uninstall all third-party APPs and perform a Factory Reset (System Settings > System > Reset options > Erase all data(factory reset)) before upgrading this firmware
  • Download the latest upgrade firmware from the Support Center of the Cayin website, please make sure you select “Personal Audio” on this page. (https://en.cayin.cn/technical/9/18.html)
  • copy the downloaded firmware zip package to the root directory of the SD card, please do not unzip the package file.
  • Insert the SD card into the SD card slot of iDAP-8, please make sure you have at least 2GB storage space in your SD card.
  • Select "System Settings" on the main menu, at the System menu page select “System” and then select "System Updates” to enter the firmware update interface;
  • Click on "┇" in the upper right corner of the firmware update interface;
  • In the pop-up window, select "local upgrade".
  • Navigate to the root of the SD card, select the firmware file that needs to be installed;
  • Select "Install Now".
  • Select “OK” in the pop-up dialog box, the system will install the new firmware! Now.

Attention
  • Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  • Please delete/remove the firmware file from the SD card after the firmware upgrade
  • Please update your Music Library after the firmware upgrade

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 24, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #114 of 114
1713924335455.jpeg

Announcement of Cayin iDAP-8 Firmware v1.6

https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/632.html

New Functions and System Optimization
  • Replace the Audio Setting menu on the Main desktop with a new ”Music Setting” menu on the Main Desktop, which provides more playback and music-related control features
  • Add a new feature in the local Music Player to convert DSD512 to PCM
  • Add a new feature in local Music Player to allow users to specify the output sampling rate (44.1kHz,88.2kHz,176.4kHz,352.8kHz) when converting DSD to PCM
  • Repair the problem that TADIL cannot exit from the playback interface after starting playback.
  • Other optimization and modification.

A Kind Reminder to iDAP-8 Firmware Upgrade

Each version of firmware might contain minor differences, consumer please decide on your own accord whether you need to update the firmware of your iDAP-8 Network Player.

Under normal circumstances, firmware upgrades will not cause any damage to user information, but Cayin cannot exclude the possibility of upgrade failure due to malfunction or any other reason. For these reasons, we strongly suggest you remove all storage devices connected to the network player before you perform the firmware upgrade.

The iDAP-8 firmware cannot be used in other products, and the firmware from other products cannot be used in iDAP-8

Firmware Upgrade Procedure

The v1.6 involves system-level updates that can only be completed through manual firmware procedures. OTA firmware update is not available to this firmware. In addition, please uninstall all third-party APPs and perform a Factory Reset (System Settings > System > Reset options > Erase all data(factory reset)) before upgrading this firmware
  • Download the latest upgrade firmware from the Support Center of the Cayin website, please make sure you select “Personal Audio” on this page. (https://en.cayin.cn/technical/9/18.html)
  • copy the downloaded firmware zip package to the root directory of the SD card, please do not unzip the package file.
  • Insert the SD card into the SD card slot of iDAP-8, please make sure you have at least 2GB storage space in your SD card.
  • Select "System Settings" on the main menu, at the System menu page select “System” and then select "System Updates” to enter the firmware update interface;
  • Click on "┇" in the upper right corner of the firmware update interface;
  • In the pop-up window, select "local upgrade".
  • Navigate to the root of the SD card, select the firmware file that needs to be installed;
  • Select "Install Now".
  • Select “OK” in the pop-up dialog box, the system will install the new firmware! Now.

Attention
  • Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  • Please delete/remove the firmware file from the SD card after the firmware upgrade
  • Please update your Music Library after the firmware upgrade
Andy Kong
Thank You for posting
Can confirm following the above the install of the FW update for the IDAP-8 was pretty painless
The most painful part was putting personalized settings for both factory and Play Store apps back in
I just got it to where I had my preferences for apps like Neutron just right. Glad I wrote them down, and all is good now

Only was able to take a quick listen but so can't confirm any SQ fixes.

Hoping any future FW updates will NOT require a full factory reset first.

Still working on a write up, and may go through some listening again as without some of the tweaks I did, I almost returned the unit, but working with John at Cayin and Andrew at Musicteck, we got it sorted out. Part of the problem was loading music, as my early unit shipped without a manual, it was a little painful and as-is out of the box, the SQ was not as good as a N7 player plugged directly into my desktop stack.
With the changes I found it is on par with the N7 plugged into my stack, but now with the convenience of a non battery, non DAC desktop player going into my external DAC, which is what I was looking for.

Thanks again for posting the FW update!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back