Cayin iDAP-8 streamer and iDAC-8 DAC
Mar 31, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #76 of 114
Another question, this is regarding the DSD capabilities of this DAC, does this DAC ship natively decode DSD files?

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #78 of 114
Andy,
Could you provide some insights on how the idap8 differs from the Dap17 aside from storage capacity and the 17 having a dac? In other words were any changes made to the dap itself?

I knew they shared the same software platform, over 90% of the firmware coding is common between the two players.

I don't know anything about the hardware platform and circuit design of DAP17, my product-related consultation role is limited to the Personal Audio product line but DAP17 is not part of my responsibilities, so I can't provide any insight along these lines.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #79 of 114
Does the iDAC-8 comes with a remote?

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #80 of 114
Got an order in for the IDAC-8 at musicteck. Hasn’t shipped yet so they probably don’t have their stock yet but I’m sure they will soon.

It will be paired with a Headamp gs-x mini and be an upgrade over my capable but somewhat boring smsl su-9. Will share my impressions when it arrives.

In the mean time, does anyone have any xlr cable recommendations? I’ve long used mogami cables an no complaints but curious how trying some different interconnects might affect things.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #81 of 114
Got an order in for the IDAC-8 at musicteck. Hasn’t shipped yet so they probably don’t have their stock yet but I’m sure they will soon.

It will be paired with a Headamp gs-x mini and be an upgrade over my capable but somewhat boring smsl su-9. Will share my impressions when it arrives.

In the mean time, does anyone have any xlr cable recommendations? I’ve long used mogami cables an no complaints but curious how trying some different interconnects might affect things.

Gotham 11301 GAC-4/1 is my most commonly referred cable, if you have good experience with Mogami, 2534 is a good choice.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #82 of 114
Does the iDAC-8 comes with a remote?

NO remote controller for iDAC-8 or iHA-8, only iDAP-8 can be remote controlled via mobile app

1712205379165.png

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #83 of 114
Just got my IHA-8 and IDAC-8 in from MusicTeck, they had Cayin dropship them straight to me which was awesome. Initial impressions? They sound good together :p

I'll be doing an A/B comparison between the IDAC-8 and my various other AK4499EX DACs over the coming weekend, as well as comparing IHA-8 to IHA-6 and my chonky LTA Z10E tube amp. Lastly, I'll be comparing the IDAC-8/IHA-8 combo to the N30LE.

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #84 of 114
Just got my IHA-8 and IDAC-8 in from MusicTeck, they had Cayin dropship them straight to me which was awesome. Initial impressions? They sound good together :p

I'll be doing an A/B comparison between the IDAC-8 and my various other AK4499EX DACs over the coming weekend, as well as comparing IHA-8 to IHA-6 and my chonky LTA Z10E tube amp. Lastly, I'll be comparing the IDAC-8/IHA-8 combo to the N30LE.
Excellent news!!!!.

What headphones would you be using btw?

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #85 of 114
Excellent news!!!!.

What headphones would you be using btw?
Meze Liric II and Final Audio D8000 Pro Limited Edition. I'll also be running UM MM, Noble Kublai Khan, 64 Audio N8, and FiR Audio RN6 to see how well the stack works for IEMs. Lastly, I'll be testing 2 different sets of speakers off of the amp -- JBL 4412s, and a custom set of high-sensitivity open baffles.

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #86 of 114

What dacs do you currently use? Am interested to see how the IDAC compares. Am currently using a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 and was wondering if the IDAC would be an upgrade

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #87 of 114
Meze Liric II and Final Audio D8000 Pro Limited Edition. I'll also be running UM MM, Noble Kublai Khan, 64 Audio N8, and FiR Audio RN6 to see how well the stack works for IEMs. Lastly, I'll be testing 2 different sets of speakers off of the amp -- JBL 4412s, and a custom set of high-sensitivity open baffles.
Thanks, would be interesting if you could also test it out with DD headphones, also I'm interesting in getting your impressions how the transistor and tube modes sound like with the IDAP and also how does the pre-amp functionality of both the iDAP and the IHA-8 affect the sound.

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #88 of 114
What dacs do you currently use? Am interested to see how the IDAC compares. Am currently using a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 and was wondering if the IDAC would be an upgrade
I currently use the Gustard A26, I have several other AK4499EX DACs as well from Topping and SMSL. I yeeted the rest of my DAC collection after the Gustard A26 proved to be quiet phenomenal, especially with built-in streaming. I've not had one of the Schiit DACs through here before, but I have had Holo May and Holo Spring 3, and several high-end vintage DACs like the Nakamichi 1000p and SFD1mk2.

I suspect the latest generation of AK4499EX-based DACs, like the IDAC-8, will end up being /truly/ phenomenal -- the first generation were very good but followed AKM's "house sound", the latest gen don't follow AKM's recommended tuning strategy. And to me that's a good thing, as the "velvet sound" tuning can be a little soft.

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #89 of 114
Thanks, would be interesting if you could also test it out with DD headphones, also I'm interesting in getting your impressions how the transistor and tube modes sound like with the IDAP and also how does the pre-amp functionality of both the iDAP and the IHA-8 affect the sound.
I haven't owned any DD headphones in years, unfortunately. I might see if I can borrow some off a friend, but the majority of my hifi friends moved off DD to planar and estat a long time ago now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back