CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #301 of 3,770
Are these stock cables that you receive with the cca's that bad? I'm hearing this faint beeping sound with these cables. Is that supposed to happen?
Any better description for the beeping sound? I would suspect it's coming from the playback system or electromagnetic interference close by.

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #302 of 3,770
Finally, my CCA C16 came yesterday (took more than a month from Ali...)
Just first three hours of listening, so I will be shy to post impressions now.

I have tried it with its original and KZ 2.5 balanced cables - hardly perceive much difference.

My question #1: are there decent (ca $30) balanced cables with L-shaped plugs (which I feel is almost a must for my DAP)?

Q#2 is there a 2-pin version of a cable with interchangeable connectors (2.5/3.5/4.4) similar to recent Dunu and Fiio designs?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions :)

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #303 of 3,770
Are these stock cables that you receive with the cca's that bad? I'm hearing this faint beeping sound with these cables. Is that supposed to happen?

Which ones would you recommend with the cca16's?

While you can certainly upgrade the stock cable, cables don’t just cause beeping noises.

I guess maybe if your cable is a microphone cable, and there’s something horribly wrong with the microphone circuit. But nothing in a normal cable causes beeping.

That sounds like something with your source (phone, DAP, etc).

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #305 of 3,770
Do I have a bad ZS10? Mine sucks. The ZSN is light years better than it and so is the AS10! I would sell it for $5 if I didn't lose the box. Now it's going to be sold for $2. :wink: Good riddance, ZS10!
Possibly, but IMO, the ZSN is better than the AS10 by a non-trivial margin, and the ZS10 is better than the ZSN by an even larger margin, in every respect. However, it is only with the right tips where the ZS10 can fit deep in my ears. I think this blocks some port holes and makes the bass quite authoritative, and the best quality bass of any earphone I have. If your ears aren't shaped to fit it, I understand, but I think the fit is great, and the AS10 is the poor fitting one that is endlessly annoying as I constantly adjust it.

Also, I have two ZS10s. One a pre-release purchase, and another from 2018's 11-11 sale. They both sound the same and great, but they have improved the ear-hooks to be non-memory wire, now preformed curve like the ZSN. I'll buy yours too if shipping from Canada to Texas is reasonable.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #306 of 3,770
While you can certainly upgrade the stock cable, cables don’t just cause beeping noises.

I guess maybe if your cable is a microphone cable, and there’s something horribly wrong with the microphone circuit. But nothing in a normal cable causes beeping.

That sounds like something with your source (phone, DAP, etc).

Yeah, I solved the problem with the beeping. It was my source . The computer audio drivers.

Why are the stock cables terrible?

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #307 of 3,770
Yeah, I solved the problem with the beeping. It was my source . The computer audio drivers.

Why are the stock cables terrible?

I don’t think they’re terrible. I think they’re perfectly adequate. You can always get better, which is true of anything.

I can get a Prime Grade A Angus steak from a steakhouse. And that’s perfectly adequate. But if I want the “best” I can get a Wagu or Kobe beef steak. It’s going to cost more. Does that mean the Prime Grade A Angus steak is terrible? No, not at all.

The stock cable is a bit thin, which tangles easily and can be microphonic.

But the stock cable is a million times better than stock cables that were included on most IEMs 4-5 years ago. The current stock cable is similar to what you’d find on high end gear 4-5 years ago. The difference is the bar has been raised nowadays.

The high end stuff comes with REALLY nice cables nowadays, and what was at the level of the old bar has trickled down.

So the current stock cables are seen by many as ‘junk’, only because the bar has been much higher.

You can certainly use the stock CCA cable. There’s nothing wrong with it. Or if you want for $10-$15 more you can get a nice upgrade cable for it. It’s not necessary going to make it sound any better, but it will be less tangly, less microphonic, will look nicer, etc. But don’t feel like you HAVE to buy an upgrade cable, like some people seem to be advocating.

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #308 of 3,770
Possibly, but IMO, the ZSN is better than the AS10 by a non-trivial margin, and the ZS10 is better than the ZSN by an even larger margin, in every respect. However, it is only with the right tips where the ZS10 can fit deep in my ears. I think this blocks some port holes and makes the bass quite authoritative, and the best quality bass of any earphone I have. If your ears aren't shaped to fit it, I understand, but I think the fit is great, and the AS10 is the poor fitting one that is endlessly annoying as I constantly adjust it.

Also, I have two ZS10s. One a pre-release purchase, and another from 2018's 11-11 sale. They both sound the same and great, but they have improved the ear-hooks to be non-memory wire, now preformed curve like the ZSN. I'll buy yours too if shipping from Canada to Texas is reasonable.
Just to express my opinion then: I would choose AS10 vs. ZS10 24/7 100 out of 100 times!
P.S. I won't sell my ZS10 though - lovely transparent blue and my first KZ:)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #309 of 3,770
I don’t think they’re terrible. I think they’re perfectly adequate. You can always get better, which is true of anything.

I can get a Prime Grade A Angus steak from a steakhouse. And that’s perfectly adequate. But if I want the “best” I can get a Wagu or Kobe beef steak. It’s going to cost more. Does that mean the Prime Grade A Angus steak is terrible? No, not at all.

The stock cable is a bit thin, which tangles easily and can be microphonic.

But the stock cable is a million times better than stock cables that were included on most IEMs 4-5 years ago. The current stock cable is similar to what you’d find on high end gear 4-5 years ago. The difference is the bar has been raised nowadays.

The high end stuff comes with REALLY nice cables nowadays, and what was at the level of the old bar has trickled down.

So the current stock cables are seen by many as ‘junk’, only because the bar has been much higher.

You can certainly use the stock CCA cable. There’s nothing wrong with it. Or if you want for $10-$15 more you can get a nice upgrade cable for it. It’s not necessary going to make it sound any better, but it will be less tangly, less microphonic, will look nicer, etc. But don’t feel like you HAVE to buy an upgrade cable, like some people seem to be advocating.

That's a absolutely correct statement.
In addition, I believe that if the C16 comes with high end cables and the company does not bother in have an aggressive price, they would cost $200.

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #310 of 3,770
I had an experience today which made me realise how complex system matching can be. My Fiio A5 needed charging so I used my spare Amp, a Topping NX1a. I was amazed by the sound coming out of my C16s. The soundstage was wider and deeper, the detail retrieval increased and the treble was more extended. I don't know which electronic parameters could bring this about but the changes were real.
It's always worthwhile experimenting with different set-ups, it seems. I'll try the **** with the Topping next.

Mar 20, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #311 of 3,770
I had an experience today which made me realise how complex system matching can be. My Fiio A5 needed charging so I used my spare Amp, a Topping NX1a. I was amazed by the sound coming out of my C16s. The soundstage was wider and deeper, the detail retrieval increased and the treble was more extended. I don't know which electronic parameters could bring this about but the changes were real.
It's always worthwhile experimenting with different set-ups, it seems. I'll try the **** with the Topping next.

I've been meaning to comment on this very topic.

There are so many variables involved when evaluating an IEMs presentation to any given person's ears. Those variables include but are not limited to ear canal width, ear canal depth, material of eartips used, size of eartips used, cable resistance, source (warm-leaning sound signature vs bright-leaning sound signature) and most of all the listener's preferences. Without getting into the science of it all, synergy between a particular IEM and a particular DAP, PMP or other source should not be discounted. It is always best to divulge which source the IEM was coupled to during the evaluation. My bright-leaning ZS6 sounds incredible when it is coupled to my velvety smooth Fiio X3(i). The presentation is highly engaging. Likewise, when my K2 is coupled with my Cowon Plenue it takes willpower to disengage when I have work to do but it is much less so when coupling them to my smartphone. The K2 still sounds great with my smartphone but they scale incredibly well and are on full tilt with the Cowon (especially when engaging "BBE").

In short, I'd recommend that we not ignore or underestimate synergy.....particularly when making definitive statements about any given in-ear's performance.

Thanks for the reminder, Nimweth.

I suppose that it's all subjective but this is the first time I've read feedback that "the ZSN is better than the AS10 by a non-trivial margin". Much appreciated if you could expound on "better than" in light of my aforementioned comments.

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #312 of 3,770
I
I suppose that it's all subjective but this is the first time I've read feedback that "the ZSN is better than the AS10 by a non-trivial margin". Much appreciated if you could expound on "better than" in light of my aforementioned comments.

Cheers
I agree with the Rtings.com review that the AS10 sounds thin, but unlike them, I find the AS10 bass very disappointing. Despite non-trivial quantity, it lacks any natural impact. The thin mids, lack of bass impact, and lower treble elevation combine to make heavy metal sound horrible. EQ doesn't fix the lack of natural bass impact, and the poor fit is a personal issue, but I really tried. The AS10 at $44 I spent I consider my biggest audio-error purchase. Sure, it does have better soundstage than the ZSN, but if I want good IEM soundstage, I'll use the ZS10.

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #313 of 3,770
I've been meaning to comment on this very topic.

There are so many variables involved when evaluating an IEMs presentation to any given person's ears. Those variables include but are not limited to ear canal width, ear canal depth, material of eartips used, size of eartips used, cable resistance, source (warm-leaning sound signature vs bright-leaning sound signature) and most of all the listener's preferences. Without getting into the science of it all, synergy between a particular IEM and a particular DAP, PMP or other source should not be discounted. It is always best to divulge which source the IEM was coupled to during the evaluation. My bright-leaning ZS6 sounds incredible when it is coupled to my velvety smooth Fiio X3(i). The presentation is highly engaging. Likewise, when my K2 is coupled with my Cowon Plenue it takes willpower to disengage when I have work to do but it is much less so when coupling them to my smartphone. The K2 still sounds great with my smartphone but they scale incredibly well and are on full tilt with the Cowon (especially when engaging "BBE").

In short, I'd recommend that we not ignore or underestimate synergy.....particularly when making definitive statements about any given in-ear's performance.

Thanks for the reminder, Nimweth.

Cheers
Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that. I am using a Hi-Fi Walker H2 via line out, an 8 core hybrid cable and the medium tips supplied with the TRN V80. I will try the medium Spiral Dots I have on order when they arrive. You are right about synergy, I have experienced this many times with my Hi-Fi system as well.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #314 of 3,770
This is the piece of music I was listening to, I think it's a lovely piece:

Mar 20, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #315 of 3,770
My KZ and CCA ranking so far: C10 = ZS7 > ZSN > AS10. I A/Bed C10 and ZS7 and both are pretty similar in their sound signature. C10 has better treble extension (cymbals is more pronounced), ZS7 has more forward mid and a little bit more bass impact. Why ZSN is higher than AS10 is just because I like the sound presentation on ZSN better than AS10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back