Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
Dec 2, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #856 of 975
I've never heard electrostats before and I would like to try a pair. I know nothing about how electrostatic amps work -- is there a transformer that can be used so that the Silver Fox could amp e-stat headphones? Is it a fool's errand to try and do this?
You can also try get Mjolnir's SRD-7 (around €800), it works very very well with my CFA3 and CRBN, which makes me unsure whether I would get an estat amp since it already sounds incredible on my system. I don't know about the synergy with other estat headphones though as I have only tried and owned CRBN. I am, however, contemplating to get a hybrid estat amp (perhaps based on Carbon w/ 300B as the output stage) to drive my CRBN.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #857 of 975
You can also try get Mjolnir's SRD-7 (around €800), it works very very well with my CFA3 and CRBN, which makes me unsure whether I would get an estat amp since it already sounds incredible on my system. I don't know about the synergy with other estat headphones though as I have only tried and owned CRBN. I am, however, contemplating to get a hybrid estat amp (perhaps based on Carbon w/ 300B as the output stage) to drive my CRBN.
Thanks. As a matter of fact, it was the CRBN that I was eyeing.

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #858 of 975
CRBN is amazing, I just had a bad experience driving it with the iFi energizer device. The old Woo Audio Wee did a decent job and the Mjolnir SRD-7 is great.

But again, try to find a way to demo the CRBN if at all possible because they (and seemingly all stats) can be polarizing if you aren't used to them.

Dec 15, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #859 of 975
Short and sweet : The Susvara, on this big Silver Fox paired with a Sonnet Pasithea, is hands down the best I have heard it sound in many respects: tonal balance, detail retrieval, soundstage width and depth, spaciousness, airiness, holography, and the general capture of performance hall or venue acoustics and all kinds of reverb effects. I have a sublime panoptic peak into the "universe" of every song, and its ambiance of production... I have to say that the genres of music I listen to match the sus with the silver fox and my present chain very well : Acoustic, electronic and avant-guardish jazz (many ECM label albums and artists), some classical, and "world music." I like hearing all instruments used in a song ; the tiniest spec of percussive details-- the richness of voices, and even the tiniest wisps of the breath of performers if one can hear them in the source, as well as the glory and fullness of bass response and sumptuous mids. Did I mention a clean separation of instruments all placed within a generously large holographic and layered space and imaging well?

When you get this type of synergy on a chain, it is amazing how much one can gain from apparently simple but well-recorded and well-mixed passages in music. As a rather random haphazardly selected example, I have been listening to this track, "Mon Bijou," from Sha (Nik Bartsch's Ronin), a 27 minute long track. For others, it could very well sound like a looong boring exercise in self-indulgence, namely, one of a guy fooling around with a saxophone. Yet for me, it has sounded every bit like a musical feast with angels in a celestial enclave:

The chain:

Roon ==> Sonore Optical Module Deluxe ==>> Sonore Optical Rendu ==>> Singxer SU6 ==>> Sonnet Audio Pasithea ==>> Cen.Grand 9i-906 Silver Fox ==>> HFM Susvara (3.5mm Cable terminations)

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #860 of 975
Short and sweet : The Susvara, on this big Silver Fox paired with a Sonnet Pasithea, is hands down the best I have heard it sound ain many respects: tonal balance, detail retrieval, soundstage width and depth, spaciousness, airiness, holography, and the general capture of performance hall or venue acoustics and all kinds of reverb effects. I have a sublime panoptic peak into the "universe" of every song, and its ambiance of production... I have to say that the genres of music I listen to match the sus with the silver fox and my present chain very well : Acoustic, electronic and avant-guardish jazz (many ECM label albums and artists), some classical, and "world music." I like hearing all instruments used in a song ; the tiniest spec of percussive details-- the richness of voices, and even the tiniest wisps of the breath of performers if one can hear them in the source, as well as the glory and fullness of bass response and sumptuous mids. Did I mention a clean separation of instruments all placed within a generously large holographic and layered space and imaging well?

When you get this type of synergy on a chain, it is amazing how much one can gain from apparently simple but well-recorded and well-mixed passages in music. As a rather random haphazardly selected example, I have been listening to this track, "Mon Bijou," from Sha (Nik Bartsch's Ronin), a 27 minute long track. For others, it could very well sound like a looong boring exercise in self-indulgence, namely, one of a guy fooling around with a saxophone. Yet for me, it has sounded every bit like a musical feast with angels in a celestial enclave:

The chain:

Roon ==> Sonore Optical Module Deluxe ==>> Sonore Optical Rendu ==>> Singxer SU6 ==>> Sonnet Audio Pasithea ==>> Cen.Grand 9i-906 Silver Fox

Every time I turn on my Silver Fox one thing comes to mind, music. The Silver Fox is hands down the best amp I have come through my home. Glad you are enjoying yours.

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #861 of 975
I owned the Caldera a year and a half ago, but sold it quickly as it didn’t really impress me. At the time I owned a low powered tube amp , which I now realize was probably not the best complement to the Calera. Now that I own the silver fox, I’m thinking of trying it out again. Can anyone speak to the synergy between the two, especially in terms of macrodynamics and slam?

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #862 of 975
I've just watched this YT video from Passion for Sound about the SF amp.

I've read through the last 10+ pages about

#who's getting paid or not...
#you should get banned...
#about the issues of comparing TOTL SS amp... that's why I arrived here.
#and of course the usual, found on many many head fi threads, impressions of those who really like the device in discussion... probably honestly describing the "why and what"

I'm unlike most here I guess, only starting in this hobby.
Maybe same "problem": aiming to buy something like my endgame SS amp (keeping it for at least 5+ years) owning Hypsos/OOR since close to 18 months now.

I got the impression that SF could be that step up from Hypsos /OOR...

I rather save up a little longer and only buy if I'm convinced (from impressions of others unfortunately) if it is a solid improvement from Ferrum. Planning for April or wait a whole year and do DAC/AMP upgrade at once. Obviously money is an issue, so no HM1 unfortunatly.

@Slim1970 I remember your posts in the SolP thread. Do you think you'll sell SF as well like T+A HP? What's you music of choice? thanks!

Finally @rsbrsvp you chose an AGD device as you picture. Never heard the Silver Fox, right? Aiming for 394ii for mentioned reasons...
Are you "coming" from AGD? Ever had/heard the HE9-mk2or3?

To those who arrived at SF as their current SS amp of choice can you compare it to HE9?

I don't bother asking in the AGD (echo) chamber of head fi (echo chamber) because I got the impression that AGD combo: DDC+DAC+AMP using ACSS is... "up there" "above price point" and so on...

similary "cultish positifly enthusiastic" to Holo, Mass Kobo or "one's beloved tube amp" crowd.
Not to mention ZMF possy.

Rento's monologue in the ending scene of trainspotting comes to mind:
I'm gonna be just like you... the endgame set up 😛

Passion for Sound announced a pt 2, comparing SF to Enleum and that aussi brand from/to which he, I speculate, is not sponsored/affiliated with.

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #863 of 975
I've just watched this YT video from Passion for Sound about the SF amp.

I've read through the last 10+ pages about

#who's getting paid or not...
#you should get banned...
#about the issues of comparing TOTL SS amp... that's why I arrived here.
#and of course the usual, found on many many head fi threads, impressions of those who really like the device in discussion... probably honestly describing the "why and what"

Maybe same "problem": aiming to buy something like my endgame SS amp (keeping it for at least 5+ years) owning Hypsos/OOR since close to 18 months now.

I rather save up a little longer and only buy if I'm convinced (from impressions of others unfortunately) if it is a solid improvement from Ferrum. Planning for April or wait a whole year and do DAC/AMP upgrade at once. Obviously money is an issue, so no HM1 unfortunatly.

@Slim1970 I remember your posts in the SolP thread. Do you think you'll sell SF as well like T+A HP? What's you music of choice? thanks!

Finally @rsbrsvp you chose an AGD device as you picture. Never heard the Silver Fox, right? Aiming for 394ii for mentioned reasons...
Are you "coming" from AGD? Ever had/heard the HE9-mk2or3?

To those who arrived at SF as their current SS amp of choice can you compare it to HE9?

I don't bother asking in the AGD (echo) chamber of head fi (echo chamber) because I got the impression that AGD combo: DDC+DAC+AMP using ACSS is... "up there" "above price point" and so on...

similary "cultish positifly enthusiastic" to Holo, Mass Kobo or "one's beloved tube amp" crowd.
Not to mention ZMF possy.

Rento's monologue in the ending scene of trainspotting comes to mind:
I'm gonna be just like you... the endgame set up 😛

Passion for Sound announced a pt 2, comparing SF to Enleum and that aussi brand from/to which he, I speculate, is not sponsored/affiliated with.
I sold the Sol P not because I didn't like the headphone. I sold it because it would net me the biggest return of the headphones I had at the time when I needed some funds. The Silver Fox is a keepsake. I can't see myself selling it. I love the way it sounds and performs.

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #864 of 975
I owned the Caldera a year and a half ago, but sold it quickly as it didn’t really impress me. At the time I owned a low powered tube amp , which I now realize was probably not the best complement to the Calera. Now that I own the silver fox, I’m thinking of trying it out again. Can anyone speak to the synergy between the two, especially in terms of macrodynamics and slam?

Macrodynamic and slam, along with soundstage, are the "Pros" of Silver Fox. Something like GSX Mk2 may provide stronger attack (with more aggressive character), but also with brighter, leaner and narrower presentation. Compared to Enleum 23R and Ferrum Stacks, Silver Fox deliver "stronger" macrodynamic.

Agree that SF is a step up from Ferrum stacks. Both amp perform at neutral with a hint of warmness character, full body and smooth tonal, but Fox deliver much bigger soundstage and cleaner black background.

I

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #865 of 975
I do not always understand the differences that Passion for sounds is attempting to explain between the amps he is comparing, but he seems to think the Silver Fox is the one that best suits the headphones I actually own (namely, the Susvara and the 1266 TC) so I'll simply ignore what he has to say about the Enleum and the Burson, neither ofI which I have ever heard before, nor am tempted to buy at the moment (I do not have the means in disposable income to purchase any other new amp at the moment, so I am protected from any extravagant expenses arising from Audio nervosa by those very strings on my wallet).

At any rate, I am posting the two reviews here for what they're worth, because I think some forum regulars might be interested in them, but not because I share all the views of PFS . So with those caveats out of the way, here you go, and I hope they're useful or informative to someone here:

Dec 17, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #866 of 975
whatever the case, don't know, think so or care, always liked Burson devices and didn't even compare it to their voyager, so many options...

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #867 of 975

Very good macrodynamics and slam on Caldera. I still prefer tubes/smoother sounding amps over SF for caldera but if we're talking about slam then CGSF really delivers

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #868 of 975
whatever the case, don't know, think so or care, always liked Burson devices and didn't even compare it to their voyager, so many options...
I owned the Burson Soloist 3X GT with upgraded op-amps and I still prefer the Silver Fox. Without the upgraded op-amps, the Soloist 3X GT is several steps behind the Silver Fox. With the upgraded op-amps installed in the 3X GT, it's a very competitive amplifier.

I curious to hear what has changed with the Burson Audio Voyager from the Soloist 3X GT. I do like the Burson house sound overall, but there is something quite magical with the Silver Fox when compared to every other amp I've heard or owned.

Dec 18, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #870 of 975
I owned the Burson Soloist 3X GT with upgraded op-amps and I still prefer the Silver Fox. Without the upgraded op-amps, the Soloist 3X GT is several steps behind the Silver Fox. With the upgraded op-amps installed in the 3X GT, it's a very competitive amplifier.

I curious to hear what has changed with the Burson Audio Voyager from the Soloist 3X GT. I do like the Burson house sound overall, but there is something quite magical with the Silver Fox when compared to every other amp I've heard or owned.
Contrary to you I probably wont "buy and sell" my way through as many amps since I got the impression you've cycled through quite a few, haven't you?
I'm looking to get a "substantially better" device compared to Hypsos/OOR...
Solid state that is and unfortunately cheaper then HM1 which narrows down my search but still juggling 5 to 6 amps and SF being one.
Problem is I'm under the impression, I comprehend Head Fi more and more as thread/brand/device echo chamber.

Do you experience one of your HPs having best synergy with SF? Or is it like the tide which lifts all boats? Same with musical preference. thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back