Channel imbalance.
Jun 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

krismusic

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought there was something wrong with my 'phones at first but all the pairs I own have the same skew to the left. I think it is hearing loss in my right ear. So I tried to compensate using the balance control on my 5S. The problem is that even making the smallest adjustment toward the right channel seems to rob the music of its life. Is this simply volume drop or is something else going on?

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 21
I thought there was something wrong with my 'phones at first but all the pairs I own have the same skew to the left. I think it is hearing loss in my right ear. So I tried to compensate using the balance control on my 5S. The problem is that even making the smallest adjustment toward the right channel seems to rob the music of its life. Is this simply volume drop or is something else going on?

• Turn your headphones around. Does the channel imbalance switch sides?
    • If not, the imbalance is in your head/ears. 
    • If yes, then it is software or hardware imbalance
  • Play a track in mono. Use this for the rest of the tests. Is there still channel imbalance?
    • If not, then the imbalance was in the recording.
    • If yes, then you need to check the hardware
  • Is the imbalance in a turned-low volume pot? Turn your software volume down 12 dB and turn the volume knob up to a reasonable loudness again (about + 12 dB). Is there still channel imbalance?
    • If not, then the imbalance was in the analog potentiometer at low setting. Turn your software volume down and your volume knob up. If your soundcard/DAC is 24 bit, then it doesn't affect your sound quality at all.
    • If yes, then the problem isn't the volume pot, but there's more hardware to check.
  • Switch the L/R audio channels going into the amplifier. Did the channel imbalance switch L/R?
    • If not, then the imbalance is in the amplifier or headphones.
    • If yes, throw your soundcard/DAC in the trash. Buy a new DAC. There's no excuse for a DAC to have channel imbalance.
  • If you have detachable cables on your headphones that you can switch L/R (such as headphones with detachable xlr), then switch the Left/right inputs to your headphones. Did the channel imbalance switch L/R?
    • If not, the imbalance is in your headphones. Replace or repair your headphones.
    • If yes, the imbalance is in your cable or your amplifier
  • Use a digital multimeter to test the lead resistance of your headphone cable. Does the resistance of each your headphone cable read less than 2 Ohm on your multimeter?
    • If no, the cable is definitely a turd. Get a new cable.
    • If yes, AND your multimeter is reasonably high quality AND the resistance in each cable channel is below 1 Ohm, then the imbalance is in your amplifier. Replace or repair your amplifier.
    • If yes, AND your multimeter cannot be trusted to make accurate sub-Ohm readings, BUT your headphones are high(ish) impedance (> 30 Ohm), then the imbalance is in your amplifier. Replace or repair your amplifier.
    • If yes, AND your multimeter cannot be trusted to make accurate sub-Ohm readings, AND your headphones are very low impedance (< 30 Ohm), then I really can't say whether or not it is your amp or your headphone cable that is screwed up. Use a different pair of headphones that have a larger impedance and see what happens.

Report back on what you find.

Cheers

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 21
I could not ask for a better answer. Thank you for taking the time to put that together ab initio. Much appreciated. I will investigate when I get chance and let you know what I find out.

Apr 18, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 21
  • Turn your headphones around. Does the channel imbalance switch sides?
    • If not, the imbalance is in your head/ears.
    • If yes, then it is software or hardware imbalance
  • Play a track in mono. Use this for the rest of the tests. Is there still channel imbalance?
    • If not, then the imbalance was in the recording.
    • If yes, then you need to check the hardware
  • Is the imbalance in a turned-low volume pot? Turn your software volume down 12 dB and turn the volume knob up to a reasonable loudness again (about + 12 dB). Is there still channel imbalance?
    • If not, then the imbalance was in the analog potentiometer at low setting. Turn your software volume down and your volume knob up. If your soundcard/DAC is 24 bit, then it doesn't affect your sound quality at all.
    • If yes, then the problem isn't the volume pot, but there's more hardware to check.
  • Switch the L/R audio channels going into the amplifier. Did the channel imbalance switch L/R?
    • If not, then the imbalance is in the amplifier or headphones.
    • If yes, throw your soundcard/DAC in the trash. Buy a new DAC. There's no excuse for a DAC to have channel imbalance.
  • If you have detachable cables on your headphones that you can switch L/R (such as headphones with detachable xlr), then switch the Left/right inputs to your headphones. Did the channel imbalance switch L/R?
    • If not, the imbalance is in your headphones. Replace or repair your headphones.
    • If yes, the imbalance is in your cable or your amplifier
  • Use a digital multimeter to test the lead resistance of your headphone cable. Does the resistance of each your headphone cable read less than 2 Ohm on your multimeter?
    • If no, the cable is definitely a turd. Get a new cable.
    • If yes, AND your multimeter is reasonably high quality AND the resistance in each cable channel is below 1 Ohm, then the imbalance is in your amplifier. Replace or repair your amplifier.
    • If yes, AND your multimeter cannot be trusted to make accurate sub-Ohm readings, BUT your headphones are high(ish) impedance (> 30 Ohm), then the imbalance is in your amplifier. Replace or repair your amplifier.
    • If yes, AND your multimeter cannot be trusted to make accurate sub-Ohm readings, AND your headphones are very low impedance (< 30 Ohm), then I really can't say whether or not it is your amp or your headphone cable that is screwed up. Use a different pair of headphones that have a larger impedance and see what happens.
Report back on what you find.

Cheers
I know the thread is very old, I still wanted to thank you for the post. Very detailed and helpful!

May 11, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 21
It can also help to use test tones instead of music in the procedure ab initio described so extensively. (You can find m on youtube if you don't have acess to a generator, but be mindful of your volume.
I have found that particularly in planar magnetic drivers "matched drivers" doesn't mean all that much: I get the distinct impression this is tested with a 1khz testtone where all my "channel matched" planar drivers are perfectly alligned, but higher frequencys can still display audible deviations. (Perhaps due to membrane tension or small deviations in the magnef structure?)
I had the drivers in one of my Oppo PM-1's replaced due to an accident and had channel imbalance after the repair, the store maintained this was impossible because they used matched drivers. Years later I tested them with test tones and found that they indeed matched perfectly at 1khz, but had significant deviations at 3khz and up. I replaced the suspect drivers with a set of PM-2 drivers, which where not matched (I assume drivers that could not be matched closely enough for the PM1 , were used for the PM-2) These had a slight 1.5-ish deviation at 1khz, but fared much better at higher frequencies, making the sound much more balanced overall.
I am currently having the exact same issue with a brand new ZMF Caldera: Perfectly matched at 1khz, but audible differencence at higher frequencies. Even if does not manifest itself as channel imbalance outright (It does on my Caldera), it wreaks havoc on the soundstage, causing voices and instruments to shift positions or "stretch" to one side as they go up in frequency. Just be sure to always flip the headphones around and rotate pads if needed to test both orientations if you are doing this by ear to exclude hearing imbalance, which many people will have in the higher frequency range.
If you find they don't match in either position you should ideally use a balance control to get the sound to at least come from the same position in both orientations, even if that isn't the center, this will give you some idea of the magnitude of the problem.

I have several Sennheiser headphones with dynamic drivers that behave much more consitently in this regard: a small deviation at 1khz usually translates to a similar discrepancy at other frequencies: Less than 0.5 dB overall for my HD650 (Matched drivers) and slightly more on both my HD600s (Unmatched drivers)
My sample size is ofcourse tiny, but it does make me wonder if the driver matching process is less reliable for planar magnetic type drivers.

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 21
If you find they don't match in either position you should ideally use a balance control to get the sound to at least come from the same position in both orientations …
I wouldn’t say that using a balance control is the ideal solution, especially in the case of drivers that maybe closely matched at some frequencies but not others (which is quite common). A better solution would be to use EQ with somewhat different settings for each channel to compensate but this too is problematic because we run into additional issues, such as consistently and accurately measuring the freq response of HPs to know where to apply EQ (and how much) or hearing imbalances between each ear (which is typical/normal).

I agree that some drivers seem to be matched/balanced using only a 1kHz test tone but it depends on various factors, such as price point of the HPs and target demographic, and therefore “matched” can be little more than a marketing gimmick in some/many cases. Unfortunately, there’s little most consumers can do about it, beyond effectively just guessing a rough compensation that “feels better” but I also agree that something like pink noise would be preferable to just a 1kHz tone or if time/effort isn’t an issue, a series of tones at various freqs throughout the spectrum.

G

May 12, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 21
I Meant using the balance control combined with test tones to identify the seriousness of the problem ,to see how much you have to correct for a certain frequency to either be centered, or at least in the same place with the headphones on regularly AND backwards. (if you have a hearing imbalance at that frequency), not as a solution ofcourse.
In fact, on a new pair of headphones the only solution to audible channel imbalance is returning it and getting your money back or a different pair of cans.

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 21
I Meant to use balance control combined with test tones to identify the seriousness of the problem (to see how much you have to correct for a certain frequency to either be centered, or at least in the same place with the headphones on regularly AND backwards), not as a solution ofcourse.
I’m not sure if that would work in some/many cases though. If we take a case such as the drivers matching reasonably well at say 1kHz but not so well at say 3kHz, then using the balance control to get the 3kHz closer will push the 1kHz out of whack. As you say, that’s not a solution but it doesn’t necessarily even help “identify the seriousness of the problem”, unless the user knows what they’re doing, actually knows about and can compensate for other variables (such as HP placement) and spends a lot of time testing a lot of different individual freqs.

G

May 12, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 21
I think I am just not explaining myself very well: With music it can be very tough to identify channel imbalance because of the factors you also mention: Placement , hearing symmetry etc. I find that if a headphones have a persistent skewed sound image that using test tones is often better than music.
The balance control is only to get a rough idea how bad it is: How much do you have to compensate to get things centered (or at least equal if you have a hearing imbalance at that frequency) on a per-frequency basis. (You dont leave the balance control in the position for the 1khz test when you do the 4khz test)

If you are having to compensate more than, say 1-1.5dB over multiple frequencies I'd say that could be problematic. I find that with mono music even a 0.5dB channel difference can result in a slight audible shift from center, especially in the high frequencies, probably because the human ear/brain uses amplitude to determine direction at those frequencies. (Below 1khz we use phase differences, above 4khz we use loudness)

May 12, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #10 of 21
I've never run into this problem myself. There may have been slight differences, but not enough to matter with music listening.

May 12, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 21
I used to have the channel imbalance problems with phono cartridges. It seemed like it was always a little off and it bugged me a lot. I would use the line through level meters on cassette decks and then minidisc decks to figure out how to balance it or at least to have some confidence in it. Once you lose confidence it can be nice to figure out how to verify and adjust it, one way or another, FWIW, IMHO, & etc. :wink:

With digital sources I am not concerned at all.

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 21
I used to have the channel imbalance problems with phono cartridges. It seemed like it was always a little off and it bugged me a lot. I would use the line through level meters on cassette decks and then minidisc decks to figure out how to balance it or at least to have some confidence in it. Once you lose confidence it can be nice to figure out how to verify and adjust it, one way or another, FWIW, IMHO, & etc. :wink:

With digital sources I am not concerned at all.

Yeah, phono cartridges are often specced within 1.5dB , and the companies that make them often save the better specimens for their high end cartridges, meaning that that 1.5dB (or1dB if you spend a little more) is usually what you get, it's incredibly jarring when used side by side with a digital source that does have correct balance, especially in headphones with their extreme left/right presentation.

I find vinyl and headphones to be a very bad combination as they seem to bring out the worst in each other: The noise and(end of side )distortion that can go mostly unnoticed in even high end speaker set ups is just much more audible. (Also depends a lot on your taste in music, louder pop/rock can be fine, but classical music with lots of quiet passages and a nice crescendo right at the end of the record is just awful, makes 128kbps mp3 sound like a gift from god)

May 12, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 21
It also could have been misalignment of the needle in the groove.

May 13, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 21
It also could have been misalignment of the needle in the groove.
That's a bit of a myth actually, you can definately get terrible channel separation and distortion by misalligning the cartridge, but I actually tried to get channel imbalance on purpose once (After reading that it does not contribute much to channel balance and not believing it) and even with severely misalligned cartridges (with various stylus shapes) it barely did anything.
What does happen is records wear out and lose some of their high frequency information, this can happen unevenly due to various factors. (Extreme anti skate setting, cheap turntables with poor or broken arm bearings, worn stylii and probably some more)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back