Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 18, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #30,031 of 33,689
Just get a chair with a mailbox built in. Then you can eat or watch TV while you wait for the postman. No chance of missing those little earphone packages then!

D6F19351-C437-4374-A229-E9714357EFFE.jpeg
Protip: Make sure to say "Thanks big boy"(regardless of the carriers gender) so things aren't awkward after they cram your mailbox full while you're just sitting there watching Maury, high AF.

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #30,032 of 33,689
My SE1s arrived today. Like you I have fitted large Spiral Dots. Going to give them a good burn in before posting some impressions. Very encouraging OOTB though, very clean mids and well balanced, excellent soundstage.
this is a curious $20 product from cambridge, which is a mid-tier home theater/stereo manufacturer comparable to nad or marantz--it could be they're trying to get a foothold in the earphone market before churning out pricier, higher-margin models

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #30,033 of 33,689
this is a curious $20 product from cambridge, which is a mid-tier home theater/stereo manufacturer comparable to nad or marantz--it could be they're trying to get a foothold in the earphone market before churning out pricier, higher-margin models

It came out 4 years ago for around $85.

I think these are closeout prices. It was first a1000 unit limited release. A year later it was mass released. Most of the online reviews were written in 2017. One viewer says we should burn them in for 250 hours!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #30,034 of 33,689
It was made for a charity event a few years ago, went under the radar and they seeming re-advertised/released it in 2019. It sold originally for 60-70 GBP, but I think they are trying to get rid of all their built up stock. With it being hard to get deliveries from China at the moment, the SE1 is quick delivery via Amazon.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #30,035 of 33,689
It came out 4 years ago for around $85.

I think these are closeout prices. It was first a1000 unit limited release. A year later it was mass released. Most of the online reviews were written in 2017. One viewer says we should burn them in for 250 hours!
They sounded good straight out of the box to me....they do sound even better today though.

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #30,036 of 33,689
They sounded good straight out of the box to me....they do sound even better today though.
Yeah, nobody said they were bad out of the box.

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #30,037 of 33,689
It was made for a charity event a few years ago, went under the radar and they seeming re-advertised/released it in 2019. It sold originally for 60-70 GBP, but I think they are trying to get rid of all their built up stock. With it being hard to get deliveries from China at the moment, the SE1 is quick delivery via Amazon.

That price range has a lot of stuff competition nowadays. 2 years ago, not as much.

Also, 250 hours of burn in is a little ridiculous lol

E80F1600-2068-4A15-A625-DE27375D91BF.gif

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #30,038 of 33,689
Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #30,039 of 33,689
ChiFi progress just over the last 1-2 years is incredible!
I got S...r **** pro recently, it is amazing how much one can get for just under $25!
Also Blon & CCA C10!
Incredible! :) :) :)

For real. I've been wandering around the nets off and on for days since asking. Finally picked up the C10s. Honestly they're good, and technical in some ways (I hear the freq extension quite clearly beyond the TF10s) but they lack a unity and musicality and I just find them generally boring and kinda peaky (which is really bothersome on some tracks). They're probably going back. For $40 I'm blown away as a first try, but I'm going to give the Blon a run next.

I had some super fi 5, back in the day. The shells fell apart, and the silver cable went copper green. I'd say kz zsn sound as good but are better built and about 1/8 the price. They also fit better. Buy a few cheap phones from kz or trn, see how you like them. They are tuned slightly higher in the upper mods 2k to 4khz area though. That's typical chi fi sound.

Can't comment on the tf10 I was too poor to buy them.

TF10 is still my benchmark. The C10 I just tried was good but couldn't touch them as far as the cohesion all around goes.
I know what you mean about the SuperFi - my original cable is long LONG gone (turned green as well) and has been swapped at least twice. I also lightly glued where one shell was separating but they've been fine ever since (6 or 7 years since gluing) - they're still going just great, but they're my "beaters" now. :)
My TF10s are in great shape. They've had a few cable swaps as well.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #30,040 of 33,689
Feb 19, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #30,041 of 33,689
Designed in UK....assembled in China...as written on box.

LOL most western budget to midfi (and even some TOTL ones) are assembled in China. Well no suprise since China has cheaper labour costs etc, but now with the coronavirus thing, I think companies are starting to realize they might not wanna put all their eggs in the China manufacturing basket, and maybe consider diversifying their production locations to multiple sites, in case there's a holdup in logistics/manufacturing if one country goes down a quarantine clampdown.

Anyway, I'm not really a fan of non detachable cable IEM/buds, but how's the quality of the cable on the SE1?? Any microphonics? And does it look sturdy? TIA!

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #30,042 of 33,689
LOL most western budget to midfi (and even some TOTL ones) are assembled in China. Well no suprise since China has cheaper labour costs etc, but now with the coronavirus thing, I think companies are starting to realize they might not wanna put all their eggs in the China manufacturing basket, and maybe consider diversifying their production locations to multiple sites, in case there's a holdup in logistics/manufacturing if one country goes down a quarantine clampdown.

Anyway, I'm not really a fan of non detachable cable IEM/buds, but how's the quality of the cable on the SE1?? Any microphonics? And does it look sturdy? TIA!

I think Sony used to get walkmans or other electronics manufactured in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Korea. Maybe it's not good put 'all their eggs in one basket'. Sadly I think that all will eventually go back to 'normal' until the next big problem.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #30,043 of 33,689
Designed in UK....assembled in China...as written on box.

Well if some of these caps are made in China (maybe non official MAGA ones), then it's no surprise the majority of our favourite audio gear is made there too haha.

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #30,044 of 33,689
The cable on the SE1 seems of good quality. It is very similar to that on the Urban Fun Beryllium hybrid. After removing it from the packaging it was kinked but it was easy to straighten it out. There is a little cable noise but not too bad. I would use a cable clip.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #30,045 of 33,689
I have 40 hours on the SE1 now. Only another 210 hours to go lol. They continue to impress. Classical music is very impressive. Here is a good example:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back