Chinese, bargain or cult favorite full sized under $125?
Oct 11, 2017 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Entropism

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to supplement my Sennheiser HD25-1 and HyperX Cloud (Takstar Pro 80) headsets, and I'm always one to try out a cult favorite if it fits my profile. Looking for Sound/Comfort>Portability.

These will mostly be for home use, either music or movies. If I'm able to drive them with my phone, I'd definitely wear them outside, but it's not an absolute requirement.

Not looking for super bass monsters, just something mellow and easy to listen to that's balanced and accurate. Rock, punk, hip hop, metal, jazz... Pretty much anything you can think of outside of country.

No amp or DAC right now, just a receiver and my computer, which will have a dedicated (and probably worthless) headphone amp on the motherboard. Eventually I can see myself picking up a Fulla or something.

If I go with the lower end HPs, I'd have no issue picking up an amp to go with them.

So far I've been looking at:

Bosshifi B8 ($60)
Philips SHP9500S ($50)
Takstar Pro 82 (85)
Soundmagic HP151 ($120)
Beyer DT 880 250 ohm (They're $120 but I'm assuming I need an amp here)
Superlux 668B or 681 Evo ($35)
Audio Technica ATH-M40x ($100)
NVX XPT100 ($80)

Closed is preferred, but I'm not totally against something open. Music won't matter in my office, but I don't want to disturb anyone late at night while I watch TV/movies. The wife is a light sleeper, though it's in another room. Sorry, I have no idea how much sound open cans really leak.

Anyways, thanks for any suggestions you guys have. It's appreciated!

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 3
I like the HD598 for relaxed listening. They're open backed but not many open cans leak enough to bother people through a closed door unless you're listening at a volume that would otherwise damage your hearing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back