Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #18,421 of 19,010
Jan 15, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #18,422 of 19,010
some more fun stuff: the Poly can play web radio stations, and so I have been adding some to the device.

on Linux, there's an application called 'mpc', which can control MPD.

now to add a radio station, to its' own playlist, I use the following commands:

first we clear the playlist currently loaded (this will stop playback)
mpc --host=poly.local clear

then we add the audio stream for playback

let's make sure it plays
mpc --host=poly.local play

if it plays, then save this URL to a playlist.
mpc --host=poly.local save "Radio - Radio Paradise - World"

things to note:
poly.local is the URL I use to connect with my poly. You can also use the IP address.
I saved one URL per playlist, and started all of them with 'Radio' so they're all together.
the quotes when saving a playlist are there because the command line otherwise sees every word as seperate, instead of a single sentence/filename, and won't know what to do with it.
I have so far tried mp3, ogg, opus, and flac streams. they all seem to work (the opus and ogg ones were having some distortion but that might be from the radio station, i am not sure)

Finally, I found this nice list of high resolution internet radio stations: https://www.hiresaudio.online/cd-quality-internet-radio/

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #18,423 of 19,010
some more fun stuff: the Poly can play web radio stations, and so I have been adding some to the device.

on Linux, there's an application called 'mpc', which can control MPD.

now to add a radio station, to its' own playlist, I use the following commands:

first we clear the playlist currently loaded (this will stop playback)

then we add the audio stream for playback

let's make sure it plays

if it plays, then save this URL to a playlist.

things to note:
poly.local is the URL I use to connect with my poly. You can also use the IP address.
I saved one URL per playlist, and started all of them with 'Radio' so they're all together.
the quotes when saving a playlist are there because the command line otherwise sees every word as seperate, instead of a single sentence/filename, and won't know what to do with it.
I have so far tried mp3, ogg, opus, and flac streams. they all seem to work (the opus and ogg ones were having some distortion but that might be from the radio station, i am not sure)

Finally, I found this nice list of high resolution internet radio stations: https://www.hiresaudio.online/cd-quality-internet-radio/

Could you clarify the mpc app?

How is this different than adding the radio station in GoFigure?

Thanks.

Jan 15, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #18,424 of 19,010
Could you clarify the mpc app?

How is this different than adding the radio station in GoFigure?

Thanks.

the gofigure app is very slow, and on my phone. mpc is a command line tool on my computer which makes it easier to use (for me)

Jan 15, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #18,425 of 19,010
the gofigure app is very slow, and on my phone. mpc is a command line tool on my computer which makes it easier to use (for me)
Ok.
You are using this in lieu of GoFigure. Got it.

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #18,426 of 19,010
Ok.
You are using this in lieu of GoFigure. Got it.
Yeah the 'add station' feature only works with the GoFigure app as far as I know, while these playlists can be played using M.A.L.P, Cantata, and any other MPD controller (as long as the Poly has internet, of course)

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #18,428 of 19,010
internet is not important for the Poly, only the Wifi connection with the source is necessary
I'm pretty sure an internet connection is very important for internet radio streams :wink:

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #18,430 of 19,010
Hi All,

I am getting solid performance when playing music stored on the SD card. It is Roon ARC where I’m now getting a jam. Up until about a month ago, I would get clear reception when playing Roon ARC on the Poly with settings at:
Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 9.29.09 PM.png

and now I get this pretty consistently:
Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 9.58.44 PM.png

So in the last few weeks, the only thing I changed is my router, upgrading from an old Google Mesh router to a new Synology router and mesh, done in part to solve this problem (which it did). I rebooted the Roon core, deleted and reinstalled the Roon ARC app, and other resets. But the problem persists.

Anyone tips? I will follow up with Synology next.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #18,431 of 19,010
Hi All,

I am getting solid performance when playing music stored on the SD card. It is Roon ARC where I’m now getting a jam. Up until about a month ago, I would get clear reception when playing Roon ARC on the Poly with settings at:
Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 9.29.09 PM.png

and now I get this pretty consistently:
Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 9.58.44 PM.png

So in the last few weeks, the only thing I changed is my router, upgrading from an old Google Mesh router to a new Synology router and mesh, done in part to solve this problem (which it did). I rebooted the Roon core, deleted and reinstalled the Roon ARC app, and other resets. But the problem persists.

Anyone tips? I will follow up with Synology next.
Your phone, poly and roon need to be on the same network. In your example the phone is connected to the poly network and your roon server probably to the new router. Try connecting each to the router over wifi.

Jan 21, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #18,433 of 19,010
How good is Bluetooth on Poli? Does is support AAC?

Chord says it was never intended to be used with bluetooth audio, and I think it's the worst way to use it. Having said that; the Poly only supports SBC, so no AAC, no apt-x, LDAC et cetera.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #18,434 of 19,010
Chord says it was never intended to be used with bluetooth audio, and I think it's the worst way to use it. Having said that; the Poly only supports SBC, so no AAC, no apt-x, LDAC et cetera.
That’s so sad.
Is Airplay reliable on Poly?

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #18,435 of 19,010
That’s so sad.
Is Airplay reliable on Poly?
I don't have an apple device to test it with, however using airplay from Linux, works brilliantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back