Chord Electronics Blu MKII CD transport/upscaler review
Feb 26, 2017 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

watermad

New Head-Fier
I had the unfortunate pleasure of listening to the Chord Blu MKII at the Bristol Hi-Fi Show in the Chord Electronics room. Unfortunate in that I got them to turn the upscaler on and off to see if I could hear any discernible difference, I DID.

The system was the the Chord Blu MKII/DAVE running into the Chord Mezzo 75, driving ATC SCM40s, I believe the cabling was some reasonable Chord cable. The ATC SCM40s are a 3 way sealed box floorstander, so produce controlled tight bass, in the moderate non-optimal hotel room, the bass was well controlled.

I played my standard test track Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters Chameleon, this track has it all going on from a slow build up, multiple layered instruments, progressively building up a FUNKY GROOVE. With the upscaler off it the sound was good, with the upscaler turned on, the sound became great, micro and macro dynamics locked into focus. The cliched, I heard detail I didn't know was there, was true, guitar riff was so real I could almost see the fret work and the music had more life, there was a bouncy and an added tightness to the groove. There was more of everything, but it was cohesive no frequency was highlighted over the other, it was just more musically enjoyable.

I started off with unfortunate as I wasn't planning on an upgrade to my system, but after hearing how the Blu MKII can elevate the musicality of the music, it is going to be a serious consideration. Definitely one for extended audition.

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 5
Nov 17, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 5
BTW... just heard a brief demo of the Blu/Dave combo at AudioVision in SF and I was impressed by the soundstage and texture improvements introduced with the Blu.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 5
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back