Chord Electronics - CES Launch Extravaganza
Dec 30, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #91 of 635
I think we may be getting a little off track with discussion of the number of taps, though.  My reading of post 3's discussion of Mojo's architecture is that Mojo uses the hardware of the FPGA differently, less out of concern for tap length than out of concern for power. 

In Hugo the overriding constraint was the amount of logic available in its FPGA, to the point where IIRC Rob Watts has commented that Hugo doesn't save volume settings because he didn't even have enough FPGA gates left over for that.  In Mojo the overriding constraint is not FPGA logic, but the energy dissipation of using that fabric (or using it at full speed), so (as I read John Franks' remarks on this) it was necessary to be creative in applying the built-in DSPs to solve the same problems.  (The built-in DSPs are not made of general-purpose fabric, and thereby avoid some energy-consumption overhead.)

Since the newer generation of FPGAs that allowed Mojo's approach isn't in Hugo yet, a refreshed Hugo would have more logic available for features (saving volume settings for one thing) or performance (deeper noise shaping perhaps) and might gain in battery life as well.  All entirely speculative on my part, but I think a Hugo refresh with newer FPGA tech does make a lot of sense.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #92 of 635
I think we may be getting a little off track with discussion of the number of taps, though.  My reading of post 3's discussion of Mojo's architecture is that Mojo uses the hardware of the FPGA differently, less out of concern for tap length than out of concern for power. 

In Hugo the overriding constraint was the amount of logic available in its FPGA, to the point where IIRC Rob Watts has commented that Hugo doesn't save volume settings because he didn't even have enough FPGA gates left over for that.  In Mojo the overriding constraint is not FPGA logic, but the energy dissipation of using that fabric (or using it at full speed), so (as I read John Franks' remarks on this) it was necessary to be creative in applying the built-in DSPs to solve the same problems.  (The built-in DSPs are not made of general-purpose fabric, and thereby avoid some energy-consumption overhead.)

Since the newer generation of FPGAs that allowed Mojo's approach isn't in Hugo yet, a refreshed Hugo would have more logic available for features (saving volume settings for one thing) or performance (deeper noise shaping perhaps) and might gain in battery life as well.  All entirely speculative on my part, but I think a Hugo refresh with newer FPGA tech does make a lot of sense.

Hugo needs to be a bigger difference in sound quality to justify being three times the price of Mojo. So along with 'last input used' being remembered and maybe auto shutoff, I would expect some of Dave's goodness to trickle down to a new Hugo II.

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #93 of 635
Hugo needs to be a bigger difference in sound quality to justify being three times the price of Mojo. So along with 'last input used' being remembered and maybe auto shutoff, I would expect some of Dave's goodness to trickle down to a new Hugo II.

If we see a new Hugo, what will second hand Hugo I go for? A new Hugo I is $1699.-

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #94 of 635
If we see a new Hugo, what will second hand Hugo I go for? A new Hugo I is $1699.-

There were quite a few second hand Hugos on the market, when the Mojo launched.
The price of a new Hugo is 1850euros and second hand Hugos have stabilised in price around 1150 euros. (ie approx 2 * new Mojo, or just less than 1 new 2Qute)

If there was a Hugo v2, I can think of no reason why the price of second hand Hugos would change, unless there was a flood of second hand Hugos on sale, to push the price a bit lower.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #95 of 635
My 3 wishes/hopes for the "Chord CES Launch Extravaganza" are...

1. SD module for Mojo.. just like everyone else.
  2. Roon Endpoint Module for Mojo... please!
  3. Roon Endpoint in the Hugo or would-be Hugo 2 range

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #97 of 635
What do you mean by endpoint? A fancy cable or socket?

Hi Miketise...  Nope, nothing like that. In the context of Roon, an "endpoint" (or an "Output") refers to the destination hardware device to where you are asking Roon to play your music. Endpoints are such things as the same computer that is running Roon Core itself (or better yet), a remotely-located computer or even cooler yet, a Roon-Ready device such as Sonore MicroRendu, SoTM SMS-200, or even a Raspberry Pi board with something like a HifiBerry board attached. There's a pretty big list of things that are Roon-Ready. 

So in my hope/suggestion, I was dreaming of a Chord-designed Module that plugs onto the bottom of a Mojo or something like a new Roon-Ready Hugo(2)!

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #98 of 635
  In the context of Roon, an "endpoint" (or an "Output") refers to the destination hardware device to where you are asking Roon to play your music. Endpoints are such things as the same computer that is running Roon Core itself (or better yet), a remotely-located computer or even cooler yet, a Roon-Ready device such as Sonore MicroRendu, SoTM SMS-200, or even a Raspberry Pi board with something like a HifiBerry board attached. There's a pretty big list of things that are Roon-Ready. 

So in my hope/suggestion, I was dreaming of a Chord-designed Module that plugs onto the bottom of a Mojo or something like a new Roon-Ready Hugo(2)!

My dream Mojo's module is a portable music server with microSD slots and bluetooth/wifi connectivity. You control the music server, which is fed by the microsd, through a specialized app on your phone. So instead of streaming music files from your phone, the bluetooth/wifi is used to control and transfer/edit the music in the microsd of the server. Essentially a portable raspberry pi with volumio. Plus point if it has at least play and stop button for emergency when you don't have a working phone with you, or at least a power down/stop button.

Thus the Mojo can always stay in your pocket while you operate it with a full-fledged app on your phone, I think that'd be much better than having stack upon stack of things inside. There's also no need to worry about interference since the bluetooth/wifi only operates when you the app sends a signal to play/stop/control the server.
biggrin.gif

nah sorry that could never happen it would take years to develop and cost a fortune How on earth could you get all that technology plus a lot more into one tiny package you'd have to be an absolute genius telling a whole team of genius's how to do it.

biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #100 of 635
looking forward to the CES show...apparently there is to also be a 'high res' booth there, too,
with various companies.

as per Roon, i'm also trialing it (also back to Tidal hi fi for now).
using it on my desktop (has my ripped cds, 24/192 flac, tidal hifi)...still trying to estimate Roon's worth.
but paying $20/mo for Roon's meta mgmt of my small library along with bio info on artists is not (yet) worth it to me.
I know John Dar had noted to me the product makes sense if you do network streaming
(which i don't: only have one: laptop and no streaming devices).

my portable rig is ipod touch 6 + dragonfly red or chord mojo.

i know amara is coming out with a windows 10 edition for their software soon,too, based on an email i just got from them.

anyway, will be interesting to see how Roon (or other similar companies) tie into any new releases with Chord and other companies
at the upcoming CES show.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #101 of 635
I'm excited.  

If anything this company is colorful.  They've gone way beyond just fidelity, but show a real love of product and their customers. 

I have refrained from all post Christmas sales especially in my quest for a DAP of any form.  Although I eventually hope to leave off from paying for TIDAL, I am waiting to hear the announcement. 

It has been rather fun to read John's posts with his deliberate hint dropping.  It is difficult to imagine what is to come beyond the typical guesses here.  The innovative energy from Chord Electronics is strong. 

As it is getting later across the ocean:  Happy and safe New Year's Eve, UK and European friends!  

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #104 of 635
That would be asking a lot, if one considers the amount of processing power required to run one of Rob's DAC designs. A lot of gates and a lot of heat dissipation. No doubt, FPGAs will continue to get smaller and more efficient, but it takes time.

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #105 of 635
I'm excited.  

If anything this company is colorful.  They've gone way beyond just fidelity, but show a real love of product and their customers. 

I have refrained from all post Christmas sales especially in my quest for a DAP of any form.  Although I eventually hope to leave off from paying for TIDAL, I am waiting to hear the announcement. 

It has been rather fun to read John's posts with his deliberate hint dropping.  It is difficult to imagine what is to come beyond the typical guesses here.  The innovative energy from Chord Electronics is strong. 

As it is getting later across the ocean:  Happy and safe New Year's Eve, UK and European friends!  

It is 2017 in France, so happy new year - we have survived 2016. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back