Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #14,206 of 22,535
Chord have just posted this on Facebook if anyone is interested.

"We've joined forces with our friends at The Chord Company to offer a free ARAY-technology interconnect (worth up to £100) with the purchase of a Hugo 2 DAC/headphone amp from UK-based ‘bricks and mortar’ retailers (that's physical retailers, not online stores) throughout September and October.

The UK promotion is available in-store on a first-come-first-served basis while stocks last, so why not pop into your local Chord Electronics dealer to find out more or get your free cable? Products in the offer include the C-lite optical cable (£45), Clearway Analogue RCA cable (£100) and Clearway Digital RCA to mini-jack and BNC to mini-jack cable (both £100).

Further details will be posted next week."

To be honest that ^ really sucks, for someone like me who has no way of popping into a Chord dealer. Thanks for the info anyway.

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #14,207 of 22,535
To be honest that ^ really sucks, for someone like me who has no way of popping into a Chord dealer. Thanks for the info anyway.

I give up. How on earth can anyone put a negative spin on an offer like that?

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #14,208 of 22,535
@UELong RE: Me reporting back on Hugo 2 driving speakers. Not done yet.

Am having a delay in getting my speakers attached straight to Hugo 2. I found I would need to cut back the outer of my speaker cables further, to attach the RCA plugs.

I will either eventually do that or alternatively, I have found some female banana speaker sockets. I can attach those to the RCA plugs, via some cable. ... Then I would have built myself some adapters to attach my existing speaker cables to. That way my speaker cables and any future speaker cables, can remain speaker cables with original termination.

I realise at the moment it would be better to attach the RCA plugs straight onto the speaker cables. Less parts between DAC and speakers. I think I will eventually try this. Just need to pluck up the courage to cut my speaker cable shielding and casing back further. It's only Chord Clearway with my own speaker plugs attached, so not factory built. However still not 100% about peeling back further casing and shielding.

Whatever though I will eventually report my findings, of running speakers direct from Hugo 2. Plus talk about which way I made cables. Just not in a rush, and not sure which way to go.

I am also on the lookout for some higher quality and higher performing speaker cables anyway though. Meaning I would need adaptors from RCA to female speaker sockets anyway.
I am following your experiment with interest.
My advice is to adopt a similar approach to myself.
Don't try modifying your Chord cables now. Instead use cheap cable similar to this https://www.amazon.fr/haut-parleur-transparent-marquage-longueur-4069/dp/B00MZTHCSW which I spot in many hardware stores as well, to DIY a 'proof of concept' setup.
For myself, I know that my Hugo 2 will direct drive Wharfedale speakers, using cheap speaker cable. For me the 'proof of concept' has done its job.
I can now improve the 'proof of concept' at my leisure, by using better speakers or cable, but for the moment, the 'proof of concept' does a very good job when I want to listen to music streamed from my desktop computer.
Experimenting with a 'proof of concept' system, removes a lot of stress/nervousness related to modding an expensive system.

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #14,211 of 22,535
My PM1 headphone is 32 ohms ,102 dB in 1 mW. I like listening at moderately loud very light blue normally. Am i right in saying that as long as i don't reach the white volume setting there is no chance of clipping and it's as simple at that? I wonder sometimes if light clipping may occur and i can't audibly detect it as i don't know exactly what i'm listening for hence affecting SQ negatively. H2 specs indicate extremely low distortion however.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #14,212 of 22,535
I doubt very much that anybody was lying.

It's possible that tweaks are being made to the metalwork, or there are production issues on the metalwork. I know of one design change to the metalwork that was made post CanJam, as although the electronics was production design, the metalwork was pre-production at CanJam. I have been told that shipments are still on target for autumn.

Sep 9, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #14,213 of 22,535
Is it a bad idea or acceptable to use hugo 2 with the case in desktop mode? The official case looks very nice but i am a sole home user so i have heat dissipation worries.
Yes, a bad idea. I have tried and the hugo2 shutdown frequently because the heat dissipation was impossible also in desktop mode. I have removed it and now absolutely no problems. (It was with the Dignis case).

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #14,214 of 22,535
Chord have just posted this on Facebook if anyone is interested.

"We've joined forces with our friends at The Chord Company to offer a free ARAY-technology interconnect (worth up to £100) with the purchase of a Hugo 2 DAC/headphone amp from UK-based ‘bricks and mortar’ retailers (that's physical retailers, not online stores) throughout September and October.

The UK promotion is available in-store on a first-come-first-served basis while stocks last, so why not pop into your local Chord Electronics dealer to find out more or get your free cable? Products in the offer include the C-lite optical cable (£45), Clearway Analogue RCA cable (£100) and Clearway Digital RCA to mini-jack and BNC to mini-jack cable (both £100).

Further details will be posted next week."

I applaud Chord and The Chord Cable Company for going this route. As someone who is in a similar industry, where local retail shops are a key component brand success, the fact that Chord is putting an effort in driving consumers to local retailers speaks numbers, especially for UK residents.. Chapeau. Keep on keeping on!

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #14,215 of 22,535
My PM1 headphone is 32 ohms ,102 dB in 1 mW. I like listening at moderately loud very light blue normally. Am i right in saying that as long as i don't reach the white volume setting there is no chance of clipping and it's as simple at that? I wonder sometimes if light clipping may occur and i can't audibly detect it as i don't know exactly what i'm listening for hence affecting SQ negatively. H2 specs indicate extremely low distortion however.

Are you serious? The Hugo2 is 740mW into 32Ω. I would worry about permanent hearing damage which WILL occur far sooner than any clipping of the Hugo2 into those headphones. Your equipment can easily be replaced and upgraded. Your ears can not. Take care of them. If you are clipping the Hugo2 into PM1s you are destroying your hearing.
http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #14,216 of 22,535
Maybe thats what the dude/dudette meant by saying “it’s still being worked on” ? I don’t know, I was just saying what was told to me. Fingers crossed for an Autumn Release.

Thank you Rob for the info, fingers crossed for a mid to late september release.

you do know Autumn runs until December 1st in UK?... so you could be inflicted with severe cramp by constantly having your fingers-crossed.

I'm going to throw a spanner into the works now... say JF is working to the 'International standard' regarding seasonal change, the date 'Winter' starts in the Northern-Hemisphere is Friday 21st December... now if your fingers are still crossed I would fully recommend relaxing and uncrossing them as we wouldn't want gangrene setting in, amputation is the last thing I want to read about... I mean, think of all those bloody remote-control questions you'd be asking, nightmare.

Sep 9, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #14,217 of 22,535
your tune for Sunday Joe (to the Three Lions song)…

The Mscaler Rap (lyrics):-

It's coming home,
It's coming home,
It's coming,
Mscaler's coming home

Three balls either side,
Chord logo still gleaming,
The waiting is starting to hurt,
Never stopped me dreaming.

It's coming home,
It's coming home,
It's coming,
Mscaler's coming home

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #14,218 of 22,535
you do know Autumn runs until December 1st in UK?... so you could be inflicted with severe cramp by constantly having your fingers-crossed.

I'm going to throw a spanner into the works now... say JF is working to the 'International standard' regarding seasonal change, the date 'Winter' starts in the Northern-Hemisphere is Friday 21st December... now if your fingers are still crossed I would fully recommend relaxing and uncrossing them as we wouldn't want gangrene setting in, amputation is the last thing I want to read about... I mean, think of all those bloody remote-control questions you'd be asking, nightmare.

Having been on the receiving end of promised delivery dates for the Blu2 I advise anyone waiting for the MScaler to adopt a ‘what will be will be’ attitude. Stuff may and probably will happen that will throw the best plans off course. Some time in December will be neat. Earlier will be nice. Later is not the end of the world.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #14,219 of 22,535
Good news, hopefully they will be released soon since it’s final.

I was only quoting what one store person who is a “higher up”, about their chat with a Chord sale’s rep a mere 2 weeks ago.

I had no reason to disbelieve them, so it begs the question, if it’s not true, either a Chord sales rep lied to them, or they lied to me.

Now we have a sunday morning conundrum. As they are now closed until monday, and my curiosity will not be satisfied until I kill their cat for being lied to, either deliberatly or in good faith.

Thank you Robert for letting us know the truth.
Oh my god! Obviously some form of slight misinformation. It's not like millions will die of grief if the MScaler has a slight delay. We all survived the few delays of the Hugo2. Here's something mind-numbingly crazy. Why not try to enjoy Sunday?

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #14,220 of 22,535

One of your best posts. If I had a vicious streak, I might say 'Here's to December 20th. May she come out then.' Still autumn you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back