Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Dec 30, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #2,731 of 6,750
Ι already solved the 75Ω riddle with a photo!

Actually 50 ohm and 75 ohm connectors are relatively similar dimensions and will usually fit each other.

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #2,732 of 6,750
Hm ... now I'm a little bit confused:

Difference.jpg

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #2,734 of 6,750
Hm ... now I'm a little bit confused:

There is no need to be confused. They look different, have different impedences but they still normally fit the same fittings.

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #2,735 of 6,750
Yes Zzt231gr, I believe your cable is 75 Ohm, because there is no dielectric material "on the plug itself". Any coax cable has dielectric material inside, that's clear, that's what we see on your photo.

I'm a liitle bit confused because of the dielectric material "at the Qutest connector" ... but I still hope it's 75 Ohm! As Rob said, let's wait for the official confirmation of the BNC supplier.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #2,736 of 6,750
Yes Zzt231gr, I believe your cable is 75 Ohm, because there is no dielectric material "on the plug itself". Any coax cable has dielectric material inside, that's clear, that's what we see on your photo.

I'm a liitle bit confused because of the dielectric material "at the Qutest connector" ... but I still hope it's 75 Ohm! As Rob said, let's wait for the official confirmation of the BNC supplier.

There is dielectric material on the 75ohm plug, it is just in a different location to the 50 ohm plug. I am guessing that the dielectric position on the 50ohm plug is there to inhibit higher frequency RF leakage through the slots in the conductor. (50ohm is rated to a higher frequency than 75ohm)

I agree that the chassis sockets on the Chord equipment looks similar to 50 ohm sockets but it may well be that the configuration of the pc circuit is more important here. Indeed Canford say on this subject, "At frequencies of up to 10MHz, the characteristic impedance of the connector is completely swamped by the source and load impedance of the circuit of which it is part". In other words it probably doesn't matter one fig whether the chassis socket is 50 ohm or 75 ohm. However it is still important to use properly rated 75ohm cables and cable connectors.

Dec 30, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #2,738 of 6,750
Hi all,

I'm "only" an owner of a 2qute, but I'm interested on a Qutest too. So I read the complete 2qute thread (114 pages) and this thread (183 pages) ... puhhh. Felt 2/3 off all posts in both threads are regarding LPS, stock PS, battery power, RF noise, etc. I really don't want to start discussion again, but I'm missing a little bit a discussion "about the whole system in our specific environments".

I have great respect for Robs knowledge of audio electronics and I think he's right with statements like "a LPS has no effect on the Qutest, but maybe an effect on the complete audio system". That's exact my point, we are talking a lot about USB has galvanic isolation, BNC not, ... but I can't remember, that someone was talking about the RCA connection to the amplifier, which is for sure not galvanic isolated! So there is a ground connection from main power -> amplifier -> Qutest and thus a risk of RF noise in our audio systems.

OK, I'm a big fan of LPS, I have no SPS in my audio system (2 Sboosters for RPI+Digione and 2qute), my headphone amplifier Lehmannaudio Linear has a build in LPS too. But I was still not 100% happy with the sound of my system. Especially because it sounds during the day worster than in the night (Robs experience sometimes too). BTW: I live in an apartment building with several washing machines, refrigerators and for sure with a lot of SPS. I can select 20+ WLANs from all our neighbours and so on ... so this brings me to the point I have to improve my main power. I know my Sboosters have good main filters build in, but my Lehmannaudio Linear looks like it has not. So ... even I live in Switzerland with nice Hydroelectric Power Stations I want to improve my "main power situation".

Here comes my tip for you for next year:
I bought an "Isotek EVO3 Sirius" power bar and what can I say ... I have a new audio system!
I plugged in only my three audio devices, so only these three LPS are "behind" the filtering of the audio power bar. My "normal power bar" powers all other devices like PC, Monitor, Laptop, NAS, lamps, USB-loaders, ... So, I really didn't expect such a big improvement ... wow! Better defined stereo image and all seems to be "more clear and relaxed", especially voices, incredible.

Sirius.jpg

http://www.isoteksystems.com/products/performance/evo3-sirius/

Some more reasons for a good power bar:
  • I think you buy it once in a lifetime
  • will improve your complete system
  • will improve your "coming audio devices" too
Maybe you can try one ... I think good resellers offer to rent one for tests and for sure there are other good suppliers for audio power bars like: PS Audio, Vibex, ...

One more example how a SPS can influence "other plugged in audio devices" you can find in the Digione video from "The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel" (watch from 5:12):

I strongly recommend: TRY IT !

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #2,740 of 6,750
I'm torn between the Hugo TT and Qutest as it seems the second hand price of the TT has dropped quite a bit.

How do the 2 compare?

Which one is more worth getting for the sound quality as I will only be using it for their dac section. I don't really need the head amp, Preamp nor Bluetooth functionality.

The ability to use the Qutest with the Mscaller sounds good though.

Cheers

Jan 2, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #2,743 of 6,750
I don’t know , I have not heard the TT , only the TT2, Dave , my Qutest and the original Hugo

Jan 2, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #2,744 of 6,750
Just wanted to share some impressions since I had my first opportunity to spend extensive time with a Qutest and Hugo 2 today. I compared them exhaustively for almost 3 hours.

Gear used in different combinations:

- Hifiman HE1000se (with a Lazuli Reference cable)
- Chord Hugo 2
- Chord Qutest
- Wells Audio Milo Amp
- All power and RCA cables used were "high-end" (if you believe that cables matter, I do)

I'll give some context first. I went into today expecting to want to buy the Hugo 2 based on everything i've read. I mainly need a dedicated desktop DAC to serve both my headphones and speakers (I have a separate amp for the speakers), but the added benefit of mobility with the Hugo 2 is a nice plus. I love the Milo amp, but am not 100% committed to it if any of the Chord gear sounds better without it. In fact i'd love it if a chord amp drives the HE1000se well enough by itself that I can sell the Milo amp and put it towards other gear.

At the end of my listening session my order of preference of the gear combos I tried today (from most preferred to least preferred):

First Place: Qutest -> Milo -> HE1000se
Second Place: Hugo 2 -> HE1000se
Third Place: Hugo 2 -> Milo -> HE1000se

To my surprise the Qutest into my Milo amp was an easy winner for me. The sound sounded so lifelike, detailed and musical at the same time. Closing my eyes it truly transported me like I was sitting in a room with my own private concert! I really expected the Hugo 2 by itself to take first prize. I'm also very surprised that the Qutest + Milo sounded very different from the Hugo 2 + Milo.

The Hugo 2 alone sounded awesome and technically drove the HE1000se just fine (I can see why this is enough for many people), but it just didn't do it for me compared to the Qutest combo. The Qutest + Milo had a noticeably bigger soundstage, better 3D imaging, energy and just reached a bit deeper into the music for details. I really thought both DACs in conjunction with the amp would sound identical and that was not the case. If I absolutely needed portability I could be happy with just the Hugo 2, but that's not all that critical for me. My highest priority is what I hear as the best sound quality.

I am going to wait until I have a chance to demo the Hugo TT 2 in a few weeks to make a final purchase decision. But if I was to buy something today it would be the Qutest over the Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #2,745 of 6,750
Forgot to mention... the Mscaler with both of these DACs (Qutest and Hugo 2)... OMG! I almost don't want to think about it because I can't afford one yet. But at some point I will absolutely own an Mscaler. It's as good as everyone says. At first I almost wasn't sure if I liked the sound because everything felt a bit subdued, then I realized I could turn the volume up higher than normal. It wasn't that anything was subdued, it was that the backgorund was inky black and there was absolutely perfect control from beginning to end of every single note. It was almost a strange experience to hear sound in such high definition like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back