Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 2, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #2,746 of 6,750
Just wanted to share some brief impressions since I had my first opportunity to spend extensive time with a Qutest and Hugo 2 today. I compared them exhaustively for almost 3 hours.

Gear used in different combinations:

- Hifiman HE1000se (with a Lazuli Reference cable)
- Chord Hugo 2
- Chord Qutest
- Wells Audio Milo Amp
- All power and RCA cables used were "high-end" (if you believe that cables matter, I do)

I'll give some context first. I went into today expecting to want to buy the Hugo 2 based on everything i've read. I mainly need a dedicated desktop DAC to serve both my headphones and speakers (I have a separate amp for the speakers), but the added benefit of mobility with the Hugo 2 is a nice plus. I love the Milo amp, but am not 100% committed to it if any of the Chord gear sounds better without it. In fact i'd love it if a chord amp drives the HE1000se well enough by itself that I can sell the Milo amp and put it towards other gear.

At the end of my listening session my order of preference of the gear combos I tried today (from most preferred to least preferred):

First Place: Qutest -> Milo -> HE1000se
Second Place: Hugo 2 -> HE1000se
Third Place: Hugo 2 -> Milo -> HE1000se

To my surprise the Qutest into my Milo amp was an easy winner for me. The sound sounded so lifelike, detailed and musical at the same time. Closing my eyes it truly transported me like I was sitting in a room with my own private concert! I really expected the Hugo 2 by itself to take first prize. I'm also very surprised that the Qutest + Milo sounded very different from the Hugo 2 + Milo.

The Hugo 2 alone sounded awesome and technically drove the HE1000se just fine (I can see why this is enough for many people), but it just didn't do it for me compared to the Qutest combo. The Qutest + Milo had a noticeably bigger soundstage, better 3D imaging, energy and just reached a bit deeper into the music for details. I really thought both DACs in conjunction with the amp would sound identical and that was not the case. If I absolutely needed portability I could be happy with just the Hugo 2, but that's not all that critical for me. My highest priority is what I hear as the best sound quality.

I am going to wait until I have a chance to demo the Hugo TT 2 in a few weeks to make a final purchase decision. But if I was to buy something today it would be the Qutest over the Hugo 2.

Hugo2 and Qutest have different analogue output stages so they would sound different. Qutest is based on Mojo's output stage (OP). See below:

Yes I too saw that... But 2 qute, although having a discrete op stage, is not powerful; it was never intended to drive any low impedance at all. Qutest op stage has been upgraded, but it's not the same as Hugo 2. The op impedance has not been measured, so any mention of it is an error. But I have increased the drive on the discrete op stage, and I have used the Mojo op stage. This has the benefit of being very small, but capable of delivering large currents. But let's be clear; qutest was designed as a DAC only! As an aside, the Mojo op stage is the same as Hugo 2 electronically, but differs with the packaging and power delivery of the op transistors.

Jan 2, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #2,748 of 6,750
This probably has been answered to death but I can't find it, so do you guys just leave your Qutest plugged in 24/7?
Yes. Rob has said it only consumes around 3 Watts in standby (automatically goes to standby once no music playing for a bit).

Jan 2, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #2,749 of 6,750
Jan 2, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #2,751 of 6,750
Which one is more worth getting for the sound quality as I will only be using it for their dac section. I don't really need the head amp, Preamp nor Bluetooth functionality.
There is no point in first gen TT, if you don`t need amp and preamp. As a DAC Qutest would do better job than TT. Balanced output in TT might be better in some cases (long interconnects, special amp), but generally new generation of Chords is better than the old one.

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #2,752 of 6,750
There is no point in first gen TT, if you don`t need amp and preamp. As a DAC Qutest would do better job than TT. Balanced output in TT might be better in some cases (long interconnects, special amp), but generally new generation of Chords is better than the old one.

I am not sure.. had Hugo2, Qutest and TT same time.. a lot of A/B listening.. Hugo2 and Qutest sold. TT stay in my gear. So, it depends. Also your impression regarding balanced stage is not complete.

@weissja36 if you have chance to listen TT, please do :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #2,754 of 6,750
@DMax99

To put it simple.
1. Hugo2 (worst) and Qutest sound less 3D! Imaging soundstage is very reduced (depth and vertical.. ) in compare to TT. Maybe for someone it's not important. But I think it's matter the one not heard it yet in his system. Once you get it, you cant accept it's reduction. At least for me.
2. New DAC sound more digital to me and timber flat. Its like all sounds (instruments,notes) pulled (normalized) to the same level. While TT do more accurate accents separation to instruments/voces. I dont know how to explain better.. I think its something to do with dynamic range. To my ear it 's more concentrated/condenced in new DACs from Hugo.. And indeed it is give an impression that music more textured and defined.. and to me it was first WOW impression, which take me two day to realize that I actually I missed more analogue sound of TT/Hugo classic. Sound form Hugo2/Qutest made me tired listening with time. It was harder to follow music motive (solo instrument).. which is important and almost always present in any track.. new DACs just put all sounds to you at the same level and time.. giving almost similar accents to instruments in stage. Obviously somebody just like it..
I used different headphones, same sources and tried all outputs.. even direct linear RCA from Qutest. With A/B listening you can easily get this impression.

And honestly.. Hugo2/Qutest users, don't you have impression that some of your favorite songs sounds different? The charterer and atmosphere? With Hugo2 and Qutest I had filling that my well known compositions just lose a lot their character. And albums start to play just "similar" to each others.. Anyway, this is my personal impression :) and could be just my particular preferences.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #2,755 of 6,750
@DMax99

To put it simple.
1. Hugo2 (worst) and Qutest sound less 3D! Imaging soundstage is very reduced (depth and vertical.. ) in compare to TT. Maybe for someone it's not important. But I think it's matter the one not heard it yet in his system. Once you get it, you cant accept it's reduction. At least for me.
2. New DAC sound more digital to me and timber flat. Its like all sounds (instruments,notes) pulled (normalized) to the same level. While TT do more accurate accents separation to instruments/voces. I dont know how to explain better.. I think its something to do with dynamic range. To my ear it 's more concentrated/condenced in new DACs from Hugo.. And indeed it is give an impression that music more textured and defined.. and to me it was first WOW impression, which take me two day to realize that I actually I missed more analogue sound of TT/Hugo classic. Sound form Hugo2/Qutest made me tired listening with time. It was harder to follow music motive (solo instrument).. which is important and almost always present in any track.. new DACs just put all sounds to you at the same level and time.. giving almost similar accents to instruments in stage. Obviously somebody just like it..
I used different headphones, same sources and tried all outputs.. even direct linear RCA from Qutest. With A/B listening you can easily get this impression.

And honestly.. Hugo2/Qutest users, don't you have impression that some of your favorite songs sounds different? The charterer and atmosphere? With Hugo2 and Qutest I had filling that my well known compositions just lose a lot their character. And albums start to play just "similar" to each others.. Anyway, this is my personal impression :) and could be just my particular preferences.

Thank you for sharing your valuable opinions. That's why I love a forum like this! :)

Have you tried the Qutest or TT2 with the Mscaler? Perhaps the sound may change with the Mscaler?

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #2,757 of 6,750
Have you tried the Qutest or TT2 with the Mscaler? Perhaps the sound may change with the Mscaler?

Unfortunately not.. but really wish to )

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #2,758 of 6,750
I never seen such compatibility issue between RCA connectors before!

Yesterday I soldered KLEI Pure Harmony RCA connectors to my DIY Duelund DCA16GA cable.
When I connected these RCA to Qutest I damaged Qutest female RCA connector central pin contact.
After that, I opened Qutest and see contact plate was moved from its place.
I returned contact plate to it's place.
Now my Qutest works again! But I can't use KLEI RCA connectors with it.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #2,759 of 6,750
I never seen such compatibility issue between RCA connectors before!

Yesterday I soldered KLEI Pure Harmony RCA connectors to my DIY Duelund DCA16GA cable.
When I connected these RCA to Qutest I damaged Qutest female RCA connector central pin contact.
After that, I opened Qutest and see contact plate was moved from its place.
I returned contact plate to it's place.
Now my Qutest works again! But I can't use KLEI RCA connectors with it.
Do you have any pics?

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #2,760 of 6,750
I spoke too soon :frowning2:

Chord did say I can send this directly if there was a fault.

It worked for about 30 minutes, then this distorted horrendous sound appeared. Chord Mojo and my other DAC are working fine.
There must be something wrong in the output stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back