Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
May 9, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #10,561 of 10,854
In Darko’s review he compares mojo2 with the top A&K player and says he thinks mojo2 sounds better, but obviously doesn’t have the functionality.

I recently A/b the Mojo 2 versus SP3000 using Annihilator 2023. The Sp3k to my ear sounded worse. Less width in soundstage, bit less bass, more smooth/organic sounding though- probably somebody who likes this type of tonality will prefer it though. One thing I found many high end players/dacs have versus Mojo2 is the punch in notes/drums. Also Mojo2 lacks a little bit of mid weight. Hands down CMA18p beats it in just about anything - other then bass imho/the bass is just more polished which I don't like. Chord bass signature is fun to my ear. Mojo lacks power in the amp stage to have that huge punch and it becomes noticable when comparing to something thats able to output 1w at 32ohm lets say.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #10,562 of 10,854
I recently A/b the Mojo 2 versus SP3000 using Annihilator 2023. The Sp3k to my ear sounded worse. Less width in soundstage, bit less bass, more smooth/organic sounding though- probably somebody who likes this type of tonality will prefer it though. One thing I found many high end players/dacs have versus Mojo2 is the punch in notes/drums. Also Mojo2 lacks a little bit of mid weight. Hands down CMA18p beats it in just about anything - other then bass imho/the bass is just more polished which I don't like. Chord bass signature is fun to my ear. Mojo lacks power in the amp stage to have that huge punch and it becomes noticable when comparing to something thats able to output 1w at 32ohm lets say.
That was the first thing I noticed before I bought the tt2+mscaler, the bass sounds natural. Never over de top, en never abscent either. I was hooked after that, love that sounds signature.

I have the soloist 3xr gt, and altough I love the sound, I love the natural smoothness of the chord more. Hence I was looking for
A portable option too.

I was looking at the hugo2 for my portable, but that is in my opinion transportable, not really portable. So mojo2 is on my list of interests :)

May 9, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #10,563 of 10,854
That was the first thing I noticed before I bought the tt2+mscaler, the bass sounds natural. Never over de top, en never abscent either. I was hooked after that, love that sounds signature.

I have the soloist 3xr gt, and altough I love the sound, I love the natural smoothness of the chord more. Hence I was looking for
A portable option too.

I was looking at the hugo2 for my portable, but that is in my opinion transportable, not really portable. So mojo2 is on my list of interests :)

Honestly very hard to beat Mojo 2 specially at this price, I don't think its possible. If you only want portable check CMA18p it's very good and slick looking, only downside was slightly more polished "boutique" bass, and no battery bypass modes- otherwise its a insane unit and pack 1w of power output and huge punch, also quite a wider soundstage and more clarity\air, specially in the vocals compared to Mojo2.

May 9, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #10,565 of 10,854

A portable option too.

I also was looking at the Hugo and Hugo 2 as an option besides the mojo and the Hugo reviews was Hugo was less music and more analytical, which makes sense as it's a more serious audiophile product. But I'm looking for musical mostly as the main strong point then being as analytical and technical as much as it was possible without loosing the fun factor

May 9, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #10,566 of 10,854
It's really about features , and many people don't want to drain their phone battery so that's when a DAP is better really, I just carry a power bank
Mojo uses it's own batteries?

May 9, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #10,568 of 10,854

A portable option too.

My preference is actually the Mojo 2. Initially bought as a portable now used as desktop DAC connected to an external amp.

I had the Hugo 2 for a long time as a (trans)portable DAC, but not anymore so I’m just going from memory here. The issue I had was that the Hugo 2 leaned more technical than musical if that makes sense. It needed the M Scaler and an external amp to sound really great with it’s best performing filter (white?). Not really portable unless you’re Rob Watts. :)

May 9, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #10,569 of 10,854
My preference is actually the Mojo 2. Initially bought as a portable now used as desktop DAC connected to an external amp.

I had the Hugo 2 for a long time as a (trans)portable DAC, but not anymore so I’m just going from memory here. The issue I had was that the Hugo 2 leaned more technical than musical if that makes sense. It needed the M Scaler and an external amp to sound really great with it’s best performing filter (white?). Not really portable unless you’re Rob Watts. :)
No I’m no robb whats, carrying so much stuff😂

May 9, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #10,570 of 10,854
I'd like to buy a Planar headphone for the Mojo 2 and I'd like to know which ones could be driven with ease? I listened to Sundara yesterday and I liked it but I had to push the volume... I'd like something like this (easy on the ears, musical) but a bit more sophisticated in every area. How about ananda Nano, Arya Organic, HE6se V2? I loved Audeze Sine (with Cypher cable) sound signature, which was a Planar headphone too. I would appreciate to hear your experience with Planar headphones with Mojo 2.
I’ve owned the he1000se and that is extremely easy to drive and for me is very good value.

If outside your budget then the he1000 stealth is another option which i believe is not too hard to drive (and cheaper)

All the best

May 9, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #10,571 of 10,854
I’ve owned the he1000se and that is extremely easy to drive and for me is very good value.

If outside your budget then the he1000 stealth is another option which i believe is not too hard to drive (and cheaper)

All the best
Thanks. Is it a clear upgrade from the Ananda Nano for example? Easier to drive too? As I find the latter already impressive.

May 9, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #10,572 of 10,854
Thanks. Is it a clear upgrade from the Ananda Nano for example? Easier to drive too? As I find the latter already impressive.
He1000se: The detail is extremely good, similar level to the utopias, ie at that level.
Great separation and precision re instrumentation.
Tight punchy bottom end

One thing to check though is if it may be too bright for one’s personal tastes.

I used to own the original ananda and the hekse was definitely a clear upgrade.

I have not heard it myself and i don’t know how easy it is to drive but the latest arya (i think it’s the organic) has been reviewed as very good value too by reviewers and a friend of mine who’s opinion i respect. Also cheaper than the hekse.

Ps i believe the mojo2 has a reasonable amount of power so unless you are looking at a hp that is somewhat hungry (ie above the standard) you should be fine.

May 10, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #10,573 of 10,854
Hi Guys!

My source is a gaming PC, I have an optical cable (nothing extraordinary, it is a Hama Fibre Optical), and an iPower X. Which cable should I use for most optimal listening experience with the Mojo 2? Optical or USB? Should I use a Samsung phone charger (5v/2a) or the iPower X (5v/3a) for most optimal listening experience, if I would like to use the Mojo 2 in desktop mode)?

Thank you in advance!

May 10, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #10,574 of 10,854
That pretty much summarizes the main reason I don't have Hugo 2 anymore, but I love Mojo 2. Even though I use it only at home. I can just put it in pocket when walking around etc. Also those volume buttons are so much nicer with iems as it's so much easier to fine tune the volume to my liking. With Hugo 2 volume control was a bit challenging without remote, which kind of contradicts with the portable ethos. Then the eq, even though I don't use it much. Mojo 2 just feels more like a complete product and is joy to use. Hugo 2 is a bit weird. Kind of jack of all trades, but master of none.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #10,575 of 10,854
That pretty much summarizes the main reason I don't have Hugo 2 anymore, but I love Mojo 2. Even though I use it only at home. I can just put it in pocket when walking around etc. Also those volume buttons are so much nicer with iems as it's so much easier to fine tune the volume to my liking. With Hugo 2 volume control was a bit challenging without remote, which kind of contradicts with the portable ethos. Then the eq, even though I don't use it much. Mojo 2 just feels more like a complete product and is joy to use. Hugo 2 is a bit weird. Kind of jack of all trades, but master of none.
But in musicality terms, if you were on an island purely listening to music. Would you prefer the Hugo 2 Sig or the mojo 2. In pure musical terms, technically achievements come second. The 'my foot won't stop tapping ' feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back