Closed-Back Headphones with Forward Vocals
Dec 27, 2021 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

malifact

500+ Head-Fier
So I have been looking for a pair of closed-back headphones which have a sound similar to the Grado house sound and I have not had any luck. I liked bright earphones with forward vocals. I was wondering if there were any recommondations for closed back headphones with forward vocals, especially female vocals. My budget is $270 USD. I would prefer something with a wireless option, but it is not essential, provided I can purchase a long cable. I am not sensitive to treble and so it does not matter if the headphones are bright sounding. The headphones will be used for listening to music, gaming and watching movies. As a comparison to a popular set of headphones, I found the vocals on the ATH-M50x to be too recessed. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 13
Only headphone that springs to mind is the Shure SRH940…especially seeing as you found the M50X too recessed. Seeing the thread title I considered the older brother SRH1540, but that is not what you’re looking for. Way too warm.
Nahh you’ll probably dig the 940 sound…even if the looks are miles away from just about any Grado that isn’t the gold SR325:wink:

Edith: scratch that! Another really good option is the Sony MDR-7506. Fantastic for folks with a penchant for forward vocals👌
Double-Edith: the presentation you’re after only really exists in Grados and the 7 series from AKG (K612/701/702/712)..but they’re all openback as well. Safe to say, if you dig the forward vocals of Grados I’m fairly certain you’re going to love a K612 or a K702. They’re also way more comfortable and actually provides you with quite the large musical space. Anyhoo just a friendly rec on my behalf.
After thinking more about closedbacks that could possibly sound anywhere near to the above…nope, it’s still just the Shure and the Sony I’d bank on. Both of which happen to be great studio headphones - particularly for picking up stuff in the mix on the fly. The reason why is because, just like Grados and AKGs, they too come with some added energy right smack in the presence-region. This effectively makes vocals and a whole host of instruments ‘pop out’ in the presentation.
You will most likely not find modern headphones tuned like this, I certainly can’t think of any. I think people generally prefer the sound of closedbacks because of the added bass capabilities compared to openbacks ie they get their ‘slam’.
Only real way I can see you rocking something wireless is if you get an ES100 or a BTR5 and ultimately make the SRH940 wireless👍
Best of luck!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 13
Only headphone that springs to mind is the Shure SRH940…especially seeing as you found the M50X too recessed. Seeing the thread title I considered the older brother SRH1540, but that is not what you’re looking for. Way too warm.
Nahh you’ll probably dig the 940 sound…even if the looks are miles away from just about any Grado that isn’t the gold SR325:wink:

Edith: scratch that! Another really good option is the Sony MDR-7506. Fantastic for folks with a penchant for forward vocals👌
Double-Edith: the presentation you’re after only really exists in Grados and the 7 series from AKG (K612/701/702/712)..but they’re all openback as well. Safe to say, if you dig the forward vocals of Grados I’m fairly certain you’re going to love a K612 or a K702. They’re also way more comfortable and actually provides you with quite the large musical space. Anyhoo just a friendly rec on my behalf.
After thinking more about closedbacks that could possibly sound anywhere near to the above…nope, it’s still just the Shure and the Sony I’d bank on. Both of which happen to be great studio headphones - particularly for picking up stuff in the mix on the fly. The reason why is because, just like Grados and AKGs, they too come with some added energy right smack in the presence-region. This effectively makes vocals and a whole host of instruments ‘pop out’ in the presentation.
You will most likely not find modern headphones tuned like this, I certainly can’t think of any. I think people generally prefer the sound of closedbacks because of the added bass capabilities compared to openbacks ie they get their ‘slam’.
Only real way I can see you rocking something wireless is if you get an ES100 or a BTR5 and ultimately make the SRH940 wireless👍
Best of luck!

Thank you for the recommendations. I did some research on the Shure and Sony and I think they would suit me; the Sony probably more. I don't suppose there is anything with a sound signature similar to either of those which has a wireless option? Many thanks.

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 13
My pleasure:)
Now I am certainly not the most well-versed in the wireless world, but I’ve tried on at least 15+ pairs..and well I haven’t yet come across anything I wouldn’t classify as being heavily bass boosted and certainly nowhere near having forward vocals.
Yup, I also think the MDR-7506 is about the closest you can get to a closedback headphone that sounds like a Grado.
If you’re worried about cable length then spring for something like a 3 m extension cable. I have a Beyerdynamic one which is what I use at home:)

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 13
The Elegia is a great sounding closedback but I wouldn’t call it mid-forward. Hell it’s not even neutral. One of it’s defining sound features is the very laidback nature of the upper-mids and low treble, which at least to me gives off a warm and forgiving presentation. It is however a great deal more linear sounding than a lot of other closedbacks in this price bracket.
Anyone wanting a ‘closedback Grado’ probably needs to look elsewhere (like the 7506). As I mentioned earlier, this is an altogether old school way of tuning that doesn’t really exist in the modern headphone market outside of a rare few like Grado and AKG. If there are more candidates I’m not sure it’ll be in a closed headphone.
Here’s the SR325e which looks an awful lot like the Hemp, the RS1 and a whole lot of other Grados. Just for frame of reference basically. The biggest reason why Grados sound like Grados is indeed that huge surge of energy in the uppermids (2k), which sadly is where the Elegia has a dip:
1640725072708.jpeg

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 13
My pleasure:)
Now I am certainly not the most well-versed in the wireless world, but I’ve tried on at least 15+ pairs..and well I haven’t yet come across anything I wouldn’t classify as being heavily bass boosted and certainly nowhere near having forward vocals.
Yup, I also think the MDR-7506 is about the closest you can get to a closedback headphone that sounds like a Grado.
If you’re worried about cable length then spring for something like a 3 m extension cable. I have a Beyerdynamic one which is what I use at home:)

Thank you again. Have you by any chance heard the AKG K361 or K371? If yes, how do they sound and are they anything like what I am looking for in terms of sound signature?

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 13
I’ve owned the K371 for a couple of years and it’s not what you’re looking for, trust me. Whilst being an absolute killer of a closedback headphone, it’ll sound even more recessed compared to the M50X.
I’ve probably owned the first 150 headphones over the years, auditioned maybe thrice that…and I can only think of the Shure and Sony that fits your needs sound signature-wise. If I remember anything else I’ll swing around this thread…but I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 13
I second Focal Elegia as well. at 379$ it's a no brainer.

Dec 31, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #11 of 13
I’ve owned the K371 for a couple of years and it’s not what you’re looking for, trust me. Whilst being an absolute killer of a closedback headphone, it’ll sound even more recessed compared to the M50X.
I’ve probably owned the first 150 headphones over the years, auditioned maybe thrice that…and I can only think of the Shure and Sony that fits your needs sound signature-wise. If I remember anything else I’ll swing around this thread…but I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

I went with the Shure in the end, because it has a detachable cable and I read it had better isolation than the Sony. It arrived today and the sound is more or less exactly what I was looking for. Vocals in particular are forward like I wanted. Thank you again for the recommendation.

Dec 31, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #12 of 13
Sweet! I’m glad I could help.
I used to own the 940 and kinda miss it from time to time. There was just something about the way drums sounded over this thing that really made me sit back and listen.
Somewhat bizarre comment seeing as so many other instruments inhabit those frequencies..yet that is still the overriding memory when I think of the Shure😅

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #13 of 13
Sweet! I’m glad I could help.
I used to own the 940 and kinda miss it from time to time. There was just something about the way drums sounded over this thing that really made me sit back and listen.
Somewhat bizarre comment seeing as so many other instruments inhabit those frequencies..yet that is still the overriding memory when I think of the Shure😅
Don't forget to get your Shure comision :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back