Closed, Portable, Separation, <$140.
Feb 16, 2007 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

3X0

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for something closed, relatively portable (I'm willing to go as large as the Sony MDR-V6), with good instrument separation for the price (looking to identify different instruments and aspects of the recording as well as possible in this bracket). I'm looking to spend under $100. I would like them to be closed and would like a sound that fares well with weighty electronica and fast rock.

I was looking at the Sony MDR-V6's with Beyerdynamic DT250 pads and the Audio-Technica ATH-SJ5. I've read more about the V6 and am worried about the SJ5's highs.

Are there any other cans to look at for this price range?

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 20
What worries you about the highs on the SJ5? They're pretty neutral with the midrange. If anything you should worrying about the highs on the V6, it's a pretty bright headphone.

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 20
That's good to know. Do they have adequate presence? I don't mind prominent highs, but I've only heard of the SJ5's excelling in mids and lows.

How's the separation on the SJ5's? Are instruments relatively easily identifiable?

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 20
The highs are kind of just there, they make themselves known when called for but right off the bat you won't go "Hey, great treble response!"
For the price, seperation is good, better than the V6. Soundstage is definitely bigger than the V6. On some occassions though the bass can be a bit much though.. but this is more of a personal thing. At $49 they're very good.

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks for the info! Would you say the SJ5's would be good for techno and rock? Does it have some speed and snap to it?

What about extension?

What would you say the 7506 does better?

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 20
Oh, yeah, they're definitely great techno cans. Good PRaT. I don't like them too much for rock though, but they're by no means bad i just personally like a brighter sound for rock. If you like a darker sound for rock then by all means they're great.

Extension I haven't really tested. I'll test in a minute

The Sonys are definitely clearer, higher resolution, more realistic timbre (except on voices, the ATs do voice better).

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 20
Ok, I just tested it out with some tones. My room isn't completely quiet so it might not be totally accurate.. but I feel the bass starts to roll off at about 27hz. 19hz was just barely audible. Treble starts to roll off at about 15khz, I had a hard time hearing anything past 17khz. All this at my normal listening volume.

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 20
Yes, on the Sonys I can clearly hear till 19Khz. I think at that point it's more my hearing failing me than the 'phones.
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 20
Some to consider: Sony MDR-D66SL Eggo, Sennheiser HD25SP, audio-technica ATH-ES5.

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 20
How about es7s? I think they go for around your new price range on audiocubes. I'm not sure if their exactly portable, but they are really attractive and shiny so it's all good.

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 20
Yes ES7 is very portable and they're very good. But they're at the very max of his budget even before shipping.
frown.gif

Can you stretch a little more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back