Comparing Headphones
Aug 6, 2011 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xinque

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all.  Relatively new to all this and could use some advice in what I should be expecting when comparing different types of headphones.  Right now I only have three headphones (Monster Turbine Pro Copper, Ultrasone HFI-580, Beyerdynamic DT1350), playing everything through a portable DAC/AMP.  They all sound different, some are great with certain genres, and others not as great.  Is it fair of me to compare an IEM vs supra-aural vs circumaural headphones?  Let me know if I'm mixing apples with oranges here.  I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how to set my baseline of what to expect from each headphone, what's fair and what's not.  Which aspects of the sound quality can I attribute to the general physical characteristics of the headphone (size, placement, open vs closed, etc.) and which are specific to the design?

The HFI-580 sound better with trance, the sound doesn't linger (attack and decay?) and the mids/highs are detailed.

The DT1350 has punchier and more detailed bass, the beginning of a note sounds sharp but the end of a note sounds somewhat rounded?  And it feels like my head is in small space when listening.

The MTPCs don't seem to extend as far as the other two, not bad but not great at anything in particular, sound seems like it's coming from inside my head.

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 5
Why not? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Is it fair of me to compare an IEM vs supra-aural vs circumaural headphones?  Let me know if I'm mixing apples with oranges here. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 5
IMO theres no such thing in the headphone world.. 
wink.gif

but to make things fair and more acceptable, comparisons are done within the same category 
biggrin.gif

a friend asked me to compare the earsonics SM3 to the LCD-2 rev 1, both of which i own and they sound similar, though the LCD-2 still came out superior

Users who are viewing this thread

Back