Could Woo audio WA22 work well with Audeze lcd-3?
Nov 22, 2012 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LYT1209

New Head-Fier
I want to have an amplifier for my Audeze LCD-3,and I think WA22 is really good -looking and love it very much,but I'm confused that whether WA55 could work well with LCD-3?  The output of WA22 is only 1.5W at 32ohm.Please give me some suggestions.Thank you!

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
I want to have an amplifier for my Audeze LCD-3,and I think WA22 is really good -looking and love it very much,but I'm confused that whether WA55 could work well with LCD-3?  The output of WA22 is only 1.5W at 32ohm.Please give me some suggestions.Thank you!

I used to own the WA22 and absolutely the WA22 can drive the LCD-3s very, very well. A highly recommended combination! But that said, the tube compliment needs to be set "just right" for them. Here are my favourite LCD-3s tubes with the WA22:

Rectifier: 5U4G EML Mesh Plate
Drivers: 5692 Brown Base Sylvanias (RCA Red bas if you can swing them)
Power Tubes: TS7236

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 10
WA22 is very good.  WA5 is less so because its single ended and not push pull.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 10
The LD MK VI is also a good contender, better then his WA22/WA5 so says few user's that own both from the MK VI Appreciation thread. I don't own neither of the WA's so yeh.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 10
A definite yes. The WA22 (with the right tubes) pairs very well with the LCD-3 and make for a very engaging and musical combo.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
The LD MK VI is also a good contender, better then his WA22/WA5 so says few user's that own both from the MK VI Appreciation thread. I don't own neither of the WA's so yeh.

The WA22 and especially the WA5 would smoke any LD amp that I've heard.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I will be getting a WA22 soon just for modding so I will see how it will compare to my LD MK VI.

Waiting on the comparison.....

popcorn.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
WA22 is very good.  WA5 is less so because its single ended and not push pull.

Why is the WA5 (I have the WA5LE) said to be 'not so ideal' when paired with Audeze headphones? I'm not playing devils advocate here, but I'm genuinely interested. Don't have chance to audition a pair of the LCD3's - which I am interested in getting hold of - so it's really important to me that I don't make a fundamental cockup of this type of expense before I decide on a phone.

A similar point was made in the WA5 review here about Audeze suitability http://www.headfonia.com/true-beauty-wooaudio-wa5-headphone-amplifier/

On the flip side, I know that Jack Woo sells the LCD 3 and states the phones are specifically 'Recommended to pair with Woo Audio WA6-SE, WA22, and WA5-LE headphone amplifiers'

And from my knowledge of the amp over a number of years with the K1000, I'd guess it is one of the most liquid sounding (yet still exciting) pieces of headphone amplification out there. So I'm scratching my head a little to think of a headphone and amp, both very highly rated, that somehow lead to crushing disappointment.

As of now I'm officially stuck wondering what whether to take a plunge on T1's, HD800's or LCD3's to go with the K1000's. Love an immersive soundstage and detail, but want to add some more bass presence to what is otherwise a musically lovely and non-fatiguing sound from the WA5LE and Stefan Audio K1000s.

Solude - did you hear the combination that you are referring to - i.e. WA5 and LCD3?

Thanks - John

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 10
Did not hear it for a couple of reasons.  Price, warnings from a technical standpoint, poor reviews and that the WA5 would crush my desk :wink:  Push pull amps just handle the orthos better.

The WA5 and HD800 would be great though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back