Cowon Plenue D
Aug 4, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #4,906 of 4,949
I'm a bit puzzled by D3 now.
Thinking about to buy it, but i'm not fan of that wheel volume control. Buttons are better solution for pocket usage imho. So has someone tested both D2 and D3? Is D3 real improvement from D2?

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #4,907 of 4,949
My playlists disappeared. Only had 2. I went to mow the lawn yesterday and discovered this when I tried to put on my lawn mowin' tracks. I then went to work and put on one artist, all albums, random. Several times I noticed that the Plenue was showing a song on the screen but playing a different track. Correct band, wrong song. Any thoughts on this bizarre behavior?

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #4,908 of 4,949
Is the D3 obsolete? Searching everywhere and cannot find one for sale. I'm in Canada...

Apr 7, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #4,910 of 4,949
Apr 7, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #4,912 of 4,949
I don't know what you mean by "obsolete". I bought mine nearly 6 years ago and it still plays sweet music, but it's not produced or supported any more.
Bad choice of word -- what I meant, can't find it for sale anywhere. Seems like a simple DAP without needing all the bells and whistles.

Apr 7, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #4,913 of 4,949
Bad choice of word -- what I meant, can't find it for sale anywhere. Seems like a simple DAP without needing all the bells and whistles.
You might find Plenue D2 used on eBay or try your luck at Shenzen audio.
If the form factor is not an issue, you can get a Sony NW WM1A used. It is also a simple DAP with no bells and whistles. Both Plenue D2/3 and WM1A has exceptional battery life with great sound.

Apr 21, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #4,914 of 4,949
imho the Sony NW WM1A is not the case, even used one is still a bit pricey (comparing with Plenue D's) and also WM1A is a big and heavy. even my Sony ZX300 is big in pocket for my taste. Cowon perfectly nailed it with PD's, You will strugle to find something similar in their price range, portability, simplicity, sound quality and battery life in these days. Looks like buyers like big power hungry androids now. :rolling_eyes:

Apr 23, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #4,915 of 4,949
Ended up getting Hiby R3 Pro. Still intrigued In a Plenue - hopefully in time Cowon comes out with a refresh. UI, OS, bigger external microsd capacity, usbc.

Imo they have potential to really offer a great small portable DAP but feel Hiby has taken that spot with R3 line. Thoughts?

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #4,916 of 4,949
imho the Sony NW WM1A is not the case, even used one is still a bit pricey (comparing with Plenue D's) and also WM1A is a big and heavy. even my Sony ZX300 is big in pocket for my taste. Cowon perfectly nailed it with PD's, You will strugle to find something similar in their price range, portability, simplicity, sound quality and battery life in these days. Looks like buyers like big power hungry androids now. :rolling_eyes:
I got my D2 for around $300 few years back and recently found a WM1A for $500, people are selling em cheap thanks to the new WM1AM2 with android and what not. Tbh I waited for this, everyone is going behind the latest and greatest. Form factor/Battery life wise Plenue wins over the Sony but since am a music person, needed more storage and a much needed upgrade. Sony pretty much hits all the right spots, great sound, UI and battery life.
Still got my D2 for ultra portable use, it’s here to stay. Love this pocket rocket!

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #4,917 of 4,949
Ended up getting Hiby R3 Pro. Still intrigued In a Plenue - hopefully in time Cowon comes out with a refresh. UI, OS, bigger external microsd capacity, usbc.

Imo they have potential to really offer a great small portable DAP but feel Hiby has taken that spot with R3 line. Thoughts?
I had the Hiby R3P Saber along with the Plenue D2 for 2years, it’s a very good DAP. I never bothered with its Wi-Fi/Bluetooth so got 16+hrs of battery life consistently and they had good customer care so it was a very smooth experience for me. R3P sounds much lively outta the box compared to D2.

Apr 23, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #4,918 of 4,949
I had the Hiby R3P Saber along with the Plenue D2 for 2years, it’s a very good DAP. I never bothered with its Wi-Fi/Bluetooth so got 16+hrs of battery life consistently and they had good customer care so it was a very smooth experience for me. R3P sounds much lively outta the box compared to D2.

Thanks for your thoughts. Essentially for me I just a need simple DAP - clean UI, full rich album covers, and 400-1tb external space. Considered R3P Saber but owning THX Onyx (ES9281PRO) I could daisy chain it into R3P to get different sound signature.

Apr 23, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #4,919 of 4,949
Thanks for your thoughts. Essentially for me I just a need simple DAP - clean UI, full rich album covers, and 400-1tb external space. Considered R3P Saber but owning THX Onyx (ES9281PRO) I could daisy chain it into R3P to get different sound signature.
R3Pro is a good dap, it does what it’s supposed to do without asking much from you just like Cowon DAP’s but Cowon has better built quality/design/finish and pretty much bullet proof, I had my first Cowon Dap Plenue D for 4years and now the D2 for over 2years never had any issue, some of the Hiby daps suffer from battery issues but I never had any problems for the 2 years I’ve had em. They have great customer support so no need to worry. R3P Saber is more energetic and detailed (obviously being a Saber DAC) when compared to R3P with CS 43131 DAC which even Cowon Plenue D2 uses but different implementations so entirely different sound. R3P Saber has slightly more power I believe but nonetheless both R3P/R3P Saber are great Simple DAP’s. Enjoy your new DAP

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #4,920 of 4,949
Did anybody come across with the subj case before $40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back