cowon x7,best sounding modestly priced DAP?
Jan 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jlbrach

Headphoneus Supremus
i have tried just about every DAP out there over the years and have found that the cowon x7 is the best sounding i have heard in the range of say 300-500 dollars.I did try and return the AK120 Titan recently and found it to sound wonderful but i could not deal with the compromises I had to make in terms of the UI and battery life and difficulty with the micro cards and recognition of songs etc.....I am not debating the sound quality of the cowon x7 vs a DAP that costs 3 times as much but am comparing it to other DAP's in its price range.I must say in terms of sound the X7 did hold its own IMHO

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 16
I cannot comment on the X9...i have however listened to creative players,Ipods,zunes and several other players and found the X7 to be the best of them all

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 16
Try new Ibasso DX50, Fiio X3, Ihifi760, Colorflt CK4, you should like their sound and they are cheaper:wink: 
Usability is ok versus X7, but battery life is not their cup of tea.
And yes, AK100 is nothing special, like iPod Nano+Fiio E1/E3/E5:)

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 16
i am looking for something that sounds good,has a large capacity because i have tons of music and has a decent UI.....thus far the X7 is the closest thing out there and it has fantastic battery life as well...but i am open to trying other alternatives if they meet the criteria i outlined

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 16
I was never impressed with Cowons, maybe I need to listen to a newer one again.

+1 a modestly priced DAP that sounds good is a Colorfly C3 but you lose capacity/battery life.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 16
capacity and battery life are rather important!

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 16
Capacity can be had at a price, but CD grade sound quality will discharge large high capacity batteries. The Cowon S9 I briefly owned had fairly good sound quality and lots of functions to equalise the sound. In order to maximise the life of a relatively small battery things like bass frequency extension and detail unfortunately suffer.

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 16
Just don't let your battery go completely flat, otherwise it will not charge ever again.. It's ok to let it run out of juice but charge it up asap. I had a flat battery and didn't charge it for about a week and when I went to use it again it was more of a brick than a PMP..lucky I was still under warranty. Device was sent back to Cowon who sent a completely new one back in return. Great battery life but they obviously don't have a cure for the flat battery issue. Can't say I was too happy about having to load up 100gb worth of music again after I spent so long trying to get all the album art and metadata sorted out the first time..

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 16
I have owned the Cowon X7 now for a few years and used and enjoyed it a lot. The battery life and capacity are top level. But a few months ago I bought the Ibasso DX50 and (especially with the latest firmware) am amazed about the wonderful sound quality, that's imo much better than the X7. It's much cleaner and wider than the X7. But indeed capacity and battery life are nothing compared with the X7. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 16
I owned the X7 for a while and I was rather disappointed with the sound. It sounded no better than my Clip+. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 16
Threadnapping:
1A for me is DC charging ability!
Tho too continue the thread's OP next i'll go w/

1st SQ
2nd UI (finding songs/albums & downloading from Windows Media as well)
3rd Battery Life
4th Capacity
5th Value [<$700US]

Even the "Highest Rated" PSC's here seem too have major flaws w/UI. 

BIG thanks.

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #15 of 16
Anybody here know which Wolfson dac the x7 uses?

X7 uses Telechips TCC7901 soc, battery is 1920mah , don't know the DAC perhaps WM8960G or WM8750S. Will certainly be a low power consumption DAC to get 100 hours battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back