Crack;Bottlehead OTL
May 23, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #11,506 of 12,347
I would love to get a Bottlehead Crack. But I don't have the space or tools to build it myself. I'd need someone to do that for me. Currently my tube amps are the Schiit Valhalla 2 and Lyr 3. I know the former is an OTL amp but according to Schiit "If you’re expecting syrupy, tubby, euphonically colored tube sound, you’re in for a shock. Valhalla 2 is exceptionally accurate, neutral, and resolving, without being strident or etched." They do not state the same for the Lyr 3 but I know it's a hybrid amp. So I suspect I'm not getting a genuine "tube sound" even though these amps do sound really good. It is really worth switching over to something like the BHC? My current headphones are HD6XX and ZMF Aeolus.
Worth trying? Yes. Worth switching? Only your ears can decide. I personally love the big flavor the BHC brings to the my Aeolus and VC and have a blast tube rolling. They both sound great from my Jot 2, but the rich, full and enveloping sound from the BHC is addicting. Pretty sure that‘s how the Crack got it’s name :wink:

As for obtaining one - I’d highly recommend considering building it yourself if at all possible. It’s a very rewarding project and the instructions are very good. Many people on here and the bottlehead forums would be happy to guide you if you got stuck. Not many tools are required besides a soldering iron, and the tools you would purchase are likely to come in handy for future diy or household work. As for workspace, a small table and cheap soldering mat would suffice. If you’re set on not building it yourself, watching the classifieds or posting a WTB is probably your best bet. There is a builder on Etsy who will do it for a fee: www.etsy.com/listing/546413394 IMO at that price point you may want to consider going with a higher end amp.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #11,507 of 12,347
I would love to get a Bottlehead Crack. But I don't have the space or tools to build it myself. I'd need someone to do that for me. Currently my tube amps are the Schiit Valhalla 2 and Lyr 3. I know the former is an OTL amp but according to Schiit "If you’re expecting syrupy, tubby, euphonically colored tube sound, you’re in for a shock. Valhalla 2 is exceptionally accurate, neutral, and resolving, without being strident or etched." They do not state the same for the Lyr 3 but I know it's a hybrid amp. So I suspect I'm not getting a genuine "tube sound" even though these amps do sound really good. It is really worth switching over to something like the BHC? My current headphones are HD6XX and ZMF Aeolus.
Well, I haven't heard the other tube amps you've mentioned, but my BHC is tubbiness maximus! I have gravitated toward the 5998 and RCA clear top 12au7, after some tube rolling. I bought mine pre-made by an expert BHC builder and then had the granite enclosure custom made. I also use ZMF cans and it's a PERFECT pairing (as would be your Senns). While I really like it a lot, I may stick with solid state and go that route. Undecided, but I might sell and fund a solid state amp I have my eye on. Here's mine...

l60cClth.jpg

May 24, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #11,508 of 12,347
Well, I haven't heard the other tube amps you've mentioned, but my BHC is tubbiness maximus! I have gravitated toward the 5998 and RCA clear top 12au7, after some tube rolling. I bought mine pre-made by an expert BHC builder and then had the granite enclosure custom made. I also use ZMF cans and it's a PERFECT pairing (as would be your Senns). While I really like it a lot, I may stick with solid state and go that route. Undecided, but I might sell and fund a solid state amp I have my eye on. Here's mine...

l60cClth.jpg
That is a beautiful piece of gear! Did you have ‘speedball’ installed?

May 24, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #11,509 of 12,347
That is a beautiful piece of gear! Did you have ‘speedball’ installed?
Thank you! Yes, speedball equipped!!

I listened to it today for some time and it truly sounds wonderful. I may just keep it, although I tend to want to listen to solid state more often. Not sure what the Head-Fi protocol is, LOL! If something doesn't get used very often, do we just hold on to it, just to have it and use on occasion? In theory, I could sell it (and the lot of vintage NOS tubes I accumulated) and fund something else. First world problems, I know. :gs1000smile:

May 24, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #11,510 of 12,347

I listened to it today for some time and it truly sounds wonderful. I may just keep it, although I tend to want to listen to solid state more often. Not sure what the Head-Fi protocol is, LOL! If something doesn't get used very often, do we just hold on to it, just to have it and use on occasion? In theory, I could sell it (and the lot of vintage NOS tubes I accumulated) and fund something else. First world problems, I know. :gs1000smile:
I don't listen to my Crack every day, but when I do...oof, it's what I call my "special reserve label" setup. So yeah, I use a solid-state (my trusty Drop O2) for daily use, and I use my Crack setup for transportive, rejuvenating listens. Whatever you decide to do, keep enjoying the music. :)

May 24, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #11,511 of 12,347

• You should keep it. The RCAs are very good 12AU7s. If you have not, try the RFT ECC82s ‘foil getter’. Those are wondrous in their sound quality.
• WC Fields audio advice: “if you feel like listening to solid-state, lie down ‘til the feeling goes away”…😏

May 24, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #11,512 of 12,347

l60cClth.jpg

That looks awesome. Though I'm more of a wood finish kind of guy. Are tubes fairly easy to find for the BHC?

May 24, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #11,513 of 12,347
• You should keep it. The RCAs are very good 12AU7s. If you have not, try the RFT ECC82s ‘foil getter’. Those are wondrous in their sound quality.
• WC Fields audio advice: “if you feel like listening to solid-state, lie down ‘til the feeling goes away”…😏
ECC82 yummy.

May 25, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #11,514 of 12,347
That looks awesome. Though I'm more of a wood finish kind of guy. Are tubes fairly easy to find for the BHC?
Thanks- I found the NOS 12AU7 tubes easy to find, but the 6AS7G, 6080, and 5998 were very, very difficult for me to find. So much so, that I had to source a couple from the UK as I could not find any in the US for sale.

May 28, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #11,516 of 12,347
I recently built another Crack but this time without Speedball. The stock amp is just fine the way it is but my intention with this one is to never have Speedball installed. I did do the Cree's, Choke, and some Panny caps (plus XLR jack and Audio Note pot). Result is spectacular with my brand new Romanian HD 600, TS 5998 and TS 6SN7GB. This is the first time I've ever had thoughts of dumping my Woo Audio WA2. I am extremely happy with the two Crack's I have.
I looked at those caps too :). Great lush sound front the stock crack. Time for a nice potentiometer?

May 29, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #11,518 of 12,347
I couldn't find the 100uF so used the 110uF. Really happy with them! That's a good suggestion on pot. I've only had the Alps and the Audio Note. The Audio Note pot is very good. I was debating laddered stepped attenuation but wasn't sure of the lower stepped one's and don't want to spend $200 on a top end one. I replaced a pot in a Little Dot Mk3 with a stepped DACT and thought the audio did indeed improve. I will probably leave well enough alone for now and think more about it as I go.
I popped an audio note into the s.e.x. Amp and it worked very well, as did the blue velvet. With both under $30 it was a nice little add on.

May 29, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #11,520 of 12,347
I recently built another Crack but this time without Speedball. The stock amp is just fine the way it is; my intention with this one is to never have Speedball installed. I did do the Cree's, Choke, and some Panny caps (plus XLR jack and Audio Note pot). Result is spectacular with my brand new Romanian HD 600, TS 5998 and TS 6SN7GTB. This is the first time I've ever had thoughts of dumping my Woo Audio WA2. I am extremely happy with the two Crack's I have.
So the question is which do you prefer? The speedball or non speedball? And are you saying you are using the 6SN7 in the non speedball?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back