crinacle's IEM FR measurement database
Feb 22, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #691 of 1,335
Now, as a context, my setup is quite simple. I'm running everything through an Onkyo DP-X1A through its balanced output.

Well obviously we are hearing two different iems. Maybe you can add what source you listened with? My sources are the Lotoo Paw Gold, AK380cu, and WM1Z. But I also listened extensively with the DX200, and Ultima Cu and SS. If you are listening with a bassy source like the X3 or perhaps smartphone that struggles to drive it properly, the bassy characteristic you describe is likely due to the signature of the source or its impedanc

With all due respect, my post is unedited and as it is on the time I've posted it. Furthermore I've given a full context on my setup. I would like it better if you didn't just automatically assume I'm running off a mediocre source like a smartphone. If any the DP-X1A is one of the airiest, least offensive sources I've ever tried so far. By right the bassy characteristics shouldn't even be out. Even if you're going to argue about the output impedance, it's quite low at ~1. Which is the same as your AK380SS and WM1Z by .1 at the very least

Singapore is on average a younger crowd (below 30) than New York, and influenced by brighter genres like K-pop and J-pop. Accordingly, they have a preference for brighter tunings

Is this statistical fact, or an unsubstantiated fact made by asking one or two person randomly on a shop about the general "demographic"?

Please stop assuming. It's immature.

Lastly, perhaps don't just skim over next time? I know you hate this type of discussion. So am I

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #692 of 1,335
You're not bursting my bubble. I have repeated several times that it will not be for everybody, including in my own review of the Phantom. Do you think your impression is definitive proof that it sounds terrible? There will never be consensus over any iem, if not there would only be one type of signature that sells. I might be wrong about the type of music you listen to, but I would argue that the more important factor is the trend for a brighter type of signature.

Of course, my perspective might have been biased by the limited people I speak to. Besides, I was going off of the pictures I saw of the launch. I was simply indicating that there are different characteristics between the two types of crowds that can result in different preferences. If this particular factor was a wrong assumption I admit my mistake.

Cheers, I'll be keeping my ears peeled for more impressions from my other Singaporean folks, maybe it's just me, who knows.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #693 of 1,335
With all due respect, my post is unedited and as it is on the time I've posted it. Furthermore I've given a full context on my setup. I would like it better if you didn't just automatically assume I'm running off a mediocre source like a smartphone. If any the DP-X1A is one of the airiest, least offensive sources I've ever tried so far. By right the bassy characteristics shouldn't even be out. Even if you're going to argue about the output impedance, it's quite low at ~1. Which is the same as your AK380SS and WM1Z by .1 at the very least

Is this statistical fact, or an unsubstantiated fact made by asking one or two person randomly on a shop about the general "demographic"?

Please stop assuming. It's immature.

Lastly, perhaps don't just skim over next time? I know you hate this type of discussion. So am I
Well someone is getting feisty. Surprised you guys are getting so worked up about demographics. I compared pictures of the SG launch to Canjam New York, even if the crowd was on average younger that's hardly offensive. And tell me, how old are you again?

I would have hoped to be done with this by now. I just commented on a graph you posted, and said its flat line did not resemble its signature. Then you yourself said it has a 5-6 KHz peak, which indicates a significant discrepancy with the measurement you posted. So I don't really understand the hostility of your tone every time.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #694 of 1,335
Well someone is getting feisty. Surprised you guys are getting so worked up about demographics. I compared pictures of the SG launch to Canjam New York, even if the crowd was on average younger that's hardly offensive. And tell me, how old are you again?

I would have hoped to be done with this by now. I just commented on a graph you posted, and said its flat line did not resemble its signature. Then you yourself said it has a 5-6 KHz peak, which indicates a significant discrepancy with the measurement you posted. So I don't really understand the hostility of your tone every time.

He's bringing up a valid point - you didn't read his post properly.

You judged pictures of SG canjam launch? Yikes. Since when have photos been a great way of generalizing demographics.

-----------Redacted, because we'd rather not repeat the same kind of generalization. Sorry.-----------------

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #695 of 1,335
He's bringing up a valid point - you didn't read his post properly.

You judged pictures of SG canjam launch? Yikes. Since when have photos been a great way of generalizing demographics. You're a PHD student (from my understanding). You can do better.
You made your point in a previous post, and I apologised. Seriously, what is the added value of this one?

And yes, I skipped the part about the Legend since it wasn't directed at me. I have a ton of other things that I'm doing at the same time. So my sincerest apologies to all of you, for what seems to be interpreted as deeply offensive posts. I did not mean it that way. Now if you would just let me be I would be more than happy to get out of here, and let you all get back to it.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #696 of 1,335
I posted this review in good hopes that @flinkenick would respond well to constructive criticism. Clearly he isn't.

Nic, we're all mature folks here I'm sure. Both of us as an enthusiast and reviewer surely knows that I can question the validity of your impressions and you can question mine as well. Perhaps this is your personal agenda or something I can't tell, and honestly would prefer to not know. However, I would really appreciate that you do not simply disregard my impressions wholly just because of a single utterance of negative on your own creation. I know it's not easy as a creator yourself, but in my experience, sometimes listening to people regardless of whether he's better or lesser than you is a good thing

Now, to use your words against you, you disagreed with my measurements. You said that my Phantom measurement is not up to your par, didn't you?

You said:
This measurement has no similarities whatsoever to the actual graph, neither in the midrange nor treble

A while back, but now you say:

I just commented on a graph you posted, and said its flat line did not resemble its signature. Then you yourself said it has a 5-6 KHz peak, which indicates a significant discrepancy with the measurement you posted.

So you're again, assuming that I only fawn over measurements and not actual, serious subjective listening tests?

With all due respect @flinkenick , please cut it out with the unsubstantiated assumptions.

So I don't really understand the hostility of your tone every time.

I honestly was not being hostile. I am inquiring for more details on how you made such atrociously unsubstantiated claims. I know audio world is subjective but you're pushing the limits of being pretentiously offputting.

And tell me, how old are you again?

For this, I guess I can use :

So I don't really understand the hostility of your tone every time.

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #697 of 1,335
I posted this review in good hopes that @flinkenick would respond well to constructive criticism. Clearly he isn't.

Nic, we're all mature folks here I'm sure. Both of us as an enthusiast and reviewer surely knows that I can question the validity of your impressions and you can question mine as well. Perhaps this is your personal agenda or something I can't tell, and honestly would prefer to not know. However, I would really appreciate that you do not simply disregard my impressions wholly just because of a single utterance of negative on your own creation. I know it's not easy as a creator yourself, but in my experience, sometimes listening to people regardless of whether he's better or lesser than you is a good thing
I don't know how often I have to repeat that I understand that not everybody will like the Phantom. If you or others do not like it, that's more than fine with me. I was never bothered by that in the first place. As for my personal agenda, I do not personally profit from the Phantom in any way if you are hinting at that.
A while back, but now you say:

So you're again, assuming that I only fawn over measurements and not actual, serious subjective listening tests?

With all due respect @flinkenick , please cut it out with the unsubstantiated assumptions.
I don't really follow the logic here. Your graph does not bare any resemblance to its actual response, neither in the midrange, lower treble or upper treble. That's just an objective fact, which can be corroborated by the professional system at Empire Ears, or a tone generator, besides my own impressions.

I didn't mention anything about you fawning over measurements over subjective listening. I only mentioned that your subjective impressions did not align with your own measurement, which again is just a fact. You only provided the impressions after someone else brought it up, but that had nothing to with anything I said.

As for asking for your age, it was to point out the irony in being offended by stating that the average age was younger in Singapore.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #698 of 1,335
I'm 63 and don't understand what age has to do with anything as long as all are being adult about it. I also listen to most genres. Radiohead is one of my favs and I've sat in on numerous jazz and classical recording sessions. I also find that I don't prefer alternate sigs for alternate genres. I'll take the mix as applied, thank you.

Lots of poor assumptions here. I think an oops and moving on may be in order. It's not the disagreement with sig that's at issue here. It's the rationalizations as to why. We all already knew that nothing is for everyone... regardless of age or genre.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #699 of 1,335
Man, this room's getting pretty intense. As another Singaporean, I feel compelled to add my red packet's worth of thoughts.

I think it's very easy for people elsewhere to draw all sorts of assumptions about these locals who run around taking measurements of things. I've seen the process myself, and these measurements are almost always followed by subjective listening. I'm more of a subjectivist myself, but I personally do think that perhaps the image being drawn around these people is affected by what they regularly post. I've run into Crin and Malvin in person, and I think they are pretty different from what people probably think they're like with all the measurement hubbub - really nice folk, with as much as a penchant for a good subjective discussion as anyone else.

Following that, having seen the little iPhone rig they use, I think the disclaimers on the front page should be something everyone bears in mind - I've listened to the Phantom as well, and I agree with both Malvin and Nic - to my ears, Phantom has some sort of low treble peak which makes the attack note on cymbals kinda harsh at times despite the overall presentation of the treble being a touch recessed, which doesn't seem to be represented in the graph measured. Perhaps it is the effective frequency range of the mic rearing its head, or maybe something else is at play. For what it's worth, I also do agree that Legend X's graph also massively underrepresents the sheer amount of bass it spews out in subjective listening.

I also feel that there seems to be quite a bit of misinterpretation going on here - it's rather easy to get riled up reading text on the internet and then ascribing the tone of that statement yourself. I've also interacted with Nic before; we do have our disagreements on certain interpretations of technical performance, but much like everyone else here, myself included, he's just looking to enjoy his music at the end of it all. He is, understandably so, pretty passionate about the Phantom too, so I think that kind of tilts some of his responses in a certain direction. Everyone has different preferences - that's the reason why resources like this thread exist, and hopefully one day we'll all be able to look past all the debate and aggression and just take pleasure in the music we all pay too much to listen to...

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #700 of 1,335
Look, Crin and I have bashed heads more often than I like, but at the end of the day we get along fine and I have a ton of respect what he's doing here. I don't think I did much wrong this time round. I didn't have any problems with the graph Malvin posted, or him not liking it. I just commented that the graph that was not accurate, in response to a question about it. I think that is a fair thing to say. It's not a subject evaluation of it, it was a factual comment. Several people on this thread said they didn't like the Phantom, and I said I was fine with that every time. I do sincerely apologise for making incorrect assumptions about the SG vs. NY launches, although I didn't intend it in a negative way.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #701 of 1,335
Hey guys, I just recently stumbled onto this thread because of the whole Phantom debacle, and I wanted to add my own two cents - however advisable that may be.

First of all - just to clear whatever may have been lost in translation - @flinkenick’s initial comments regarding the measurements being odd should neither be seen as a personal attack towards @malvinviriya, @crinacle or any of their efforts made towards this thread NOR should it be seen as a ploy to fabricate a delusion where everyone loves the Phantom. Nic was literally just responding to a direct question posed by another user asking whether or not the measurements matched EE's given Nic’s extremely intimate knowledge of the IEM all throughout its development. That question can be found below:

What are the odds of a measurement problem with the Phantom?
The couple of impressions/reviews I've read praise the "extension at both ends", but this falls off a cliff, particularly the treble.
Really dark...

@flinkenick does the measurement here for the Phantom match with your voicing of this iem and your listening experience?

Nic acknowledged that more reasonable measurements on this thread exist just as often - if not more often - than outliers like these, so I don’t see why his comments have been seen as - for lack of a better word - digs towards this thread and the work that’s been put into it. Malvin, in both his measurement and his impressions, has been completely honest and no one has faulted that at all. The inaccuracies in the measurement - which I will consider so because of Nic’s involvement in the Phantom’s development process - may be contributed to a ton of technical variables (e.g. gear used, IEM consistency, tip selection, measurement processes, etc.). This is further supported by Malvin’s own subjective impressions which contain audible peaks and bumps throughout the frequency response. This also shouldn’t be taken as me faulting Malvin because what he hears differs from his measurements. As Malvin said, it's not out of the ordinary at all, and I'm just using it to support the very possible truth that the measurements - for one reason or another - don’t resemble the ones EE and Nic developed. It should be noted that the Phantom’s I tried at Euphoria aren’t the ones I tried at Zeppelin either. So, although unlikely, IEM-to-IEM variance isn’t out of the question.

Now, as far as subjective impressions go, I see the scenario as a very simply series of events. Several users express dislike at the Phantom for one reason or another, Nic expresses confusion towards some (not all) of said reasons - because he doesn't hear the same - and attempts to logically determine why these discrepancies exist. From what I read, Nic isn’t trying to make excuses for the Phantom nor is he attempting to brainwash people into liking it - even if his position as the Phantom’s co-creator encourages him to explain why it CAN be appreciated; not why it should or must. By collecting data such as sources used, tip selection, listening trends and impressions from other users that vary even farther from the impressions posted here, Nic is trying to find out why noticeable audio cues exist (such as the sibilance) and not utterly denying that you possibly could’ve heard them. He's not trying to question why you wouldn't like an IEM that's bass-y and sibilant; he's trying to find out HOW the Phantom can sound bass-y and sibilant when it shouldn't have been either in the first place. You can blame Nic for missing the one sentence where Malvin states the source he used, but it shouldn’t be seen as a demeaning generalisation meant to blame him or his gear for not praising the Phantom to the hills. Different gear can be responsible for hearing different things out of the same IEM, but it’s completely okay if you still dislike said IEM if all those differences disappeared. However, if an IEM can produce auditory cues like bass-y-ness or sibilance when doing so should've been near-impossible in the first place, then something is definitely amiss.

As someone who’s spent the past three years studying in Singapore - with the majority of that time spent in places like Music Sanctuary, Zeppelin and Jaben - I also have a thing or two to say about Nic’s comments regarding listening trends there in general. But, I think Nic has apologised enough for any misunderstandings he may have caused, so I'll let that topic rest. I sincerely hope my comments don’t offend anyone or cause any further of a stir. All I'm trying to do is, perhaps, clear up any lingering misunderstandings or misconceptions. As a friend of Nic’s and a grateful member of the whole Head-Fi community, I found it important to - in some way - help as much as I humanly can.

Cheers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back