Custom Art Hybrid 3 Pro impressions thread
Jun 3, 2023 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

annasoh323

100+ Head-Fier
Starting this spin-off thread for those who get on the Custom Art Hybrid 3 Pro train! I figured I'd start it since my money is in the bank (well, Piotr's bank, not mine). To my knowledge, a thread for this IEM hasn't been created yet - my apologies if my search didn't catch it. First thread posted so hopefully my re-reading of the rules has me adequately caught up.

Here's the first mention of it in the main Custom Art FIBAE impressions thread:

New Hybrid is coming!

More info on Custom Art's socials and website. Myself, I'll have a universal model coming in. I have FIBAE Black in custom but that was years ago and I'm not sure the audiologist I use does it quite right. I have two custom IEMs and both have slight niggle issues with fit that I wouldn't know how to describe. Plus, there have been times I wanted others to know what I'm listening to so universal is better for that. I'm excited to hear what CA's latest take on "studio" sound sig is plus I want to see what two DD's and a planar sound like in CA's house flavor.

Update 7 JUL 2023: Shipping notification! I'm nearly on the other side of the world from Warsaw so we'll see how this goes.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 22
They've arrived! Just got the package before heading off to work. I'll grab some pictures and impressions towards the end of the day (which may be a long time since I'm in a later time zone compared to the rest of the world).

Jul 30, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 22
So, the Custom Art Hybrid 3 Pro... Love them! Unfortunately, an unfortunate accident took off a faceplate and I need to send them back to the CA lab for repairs. I will miss them! They were immediately a mainstay for me.

My other IEMs are the Custom Art FIBAE Black (custom) and Alclair Electro (custom). I got the H3P in universal since I have had middling success with the ear molds I had taken at a certain audiologist. I also wanted the ability to be able to share what I'm hearing with others. There have been so many times I've wanted someone to hear what I'm hearing but couldn't because I had customs. So, I resolved to go universal with this order. I know I said I'm sending them back because of a broken shell but really that was my fault for that pretty hard drop. Everything was solid. I've seen lots of praise for Custom Art's universal shells and I can see why. They fit great. I did need to retrain myself not to try to shove universals as deep in my ears as customs but all's well now.

Looking at my IEMs, I was looking forward to a non-BA design. I was also looking forward to comparing the studio philosophies of two companies (in this case, Alclair's Electro). If you know Custom Art's lineup, you know the Black and the H3P share the Pressure Optimizing Design. The H3P is also my first IEM planar experience. Finally, I tried out all three filter options (prior to shell accident).

I mostly listen to acoustic/pop-styles. I do have a playlist of tracks with more range in style and instrumentation for testing but I don't know it as well nor listen to it as much. But it's a better test of bass than anything I regularly listen to. The dynamic bass doesn't disappoint, and to my taste, it's true of all three filters. Even on the filter billed as having the lightest bass, I found it still delivered it when the track had it. Prior to getting a set of desktop speakers in my computer setup, I would've said I thought my other IEMs had sufficient bass. However, now that I've accustomed myself to feeling bass as much as hearing it, head-fi bass (especially IEMs) does leave something to be desired in many cases. However, the dynamic drivers put a lot of that back in to my listening experience.

Mid-wise, I haven't felt anything lacking, which I thought could be a risk given a studio-tuned, with possible bass emphasis. Compared to the Electro, I have thought maybe something in the lower mids was pulled back a bit and I chocked that up to tuning philosophy. I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to comment on different timbral "textures" in audio with different kind of drivers, especially trying to compensate for tuning differences.

Another interesting comp between the H3P and Electro is the treble: Electro is named after its electrostat drivers while H3P continues the FIBAE 5's use of planar drivers. I've been loving how both present treble and how they add to the sound. One way I understand treble is doing its job is when I get good space cues and also not get a major headache. I know that's simplistic but it's one of the only ways I presently know how to tell apples and oranges.

One way I like to experience staging is in a game with a good directional sound engine. I have loved gaming with the H3P. Bass hits authoritatively and I get that sense of immersion. I won't go so far as to say I'm "better" (since I'm not good anyway) but so far, it's been great fun.

I've yet to reseal and start shipping them back but I already miss them. Custom Art Hybrid 3 Pro - many firsts for me and all of them excellent.

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 22
I want to share my impressions on the H3 Pro after some weeks of usage.

The sound is incredibly great 😊 I like the Custom Art house sound very much. So I even didn't try the options which come with the tuning kit.

I'm not using the provided stock cable. I changed it to the same cable I'm using with the FIBAE 5 - the FIBAE 5 stock cable.

Compared to the FIBAE 5 it has a little smaller soundstage and less air (extended treble). I like the DD mids of the H3 Pro more than the FIBAE 5 BA mids. So the H3 Pro currently gets more listening time than the FIBAE 5. In all other aspects for me it's similar to the FIBAE 5.

Overall a great IEM I'm very much enjoying 😊

Sep 6, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 22
Hmmm the stock tuning is alot tamer and more in line with what I would consider reference. Will have to wait till I get back home for pics.

Also the dealer forgot to process the tuning kit so I'm missing hyper bass what ier-z1r should have been mode till who knows how many months from now.

Honestly I donno what magic they did but even out of the box it sounds so good and detailed. My only hope is that that means custom art pre broke in the drivers and the bass won't soften with use.

Feels like the planar tweeter can keep up with est drivers while still giving good body to the treble which is really nice.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 22
Hmmm the stock tuning is alot tamer and more in line with what I would consider reference. Will have to wait till I get back home for pics.

Also the dealer forgot to process the tuning kit so I'm missing hyper bass what ier-z1r should have been mode till who knows how many months from now.

Honestly I donno what magic they did but even out of the box it sounds so good and detailed. My only hope is that that means custom art pre broke in the drivers and the bass won't soften with use.

Feels like the planar tweeter can keep up with est drivers while still giving good body to the treble which is really nice.
Hey! Happy listening!
Glad to hear you like it out of the box! We don't burn-in drivers, but you shouldn't expect any major changes in the long run either.
:)

Sep 6, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 22
One thing that I hope will go away with time is the mid driver sounding like it cant really hold the shape and also being abit overdriven creating this plastic flapping feeling when strings are played that is a very strange feeling. Esp because its like a wall of air is being pushed whenever high peaking mids are played.

Edit: Seems like it needed a little more run in. The mid driver is ok now.

Personally not a big fan of the faceplate but eh you win some you loose some. Also since I will only be seeing it 10% of the time when putting it on. I feel that having the patten embossed and the faceplate slightly convex would have been nicer to look at.
IMG_20230907_084714.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 22
Thread revival time hopefully because this is a very interesting set that merits more eyes on it. I recently got a CIEM version in and told the team to do whatever they liked for the design. It ended up being a stunning set with iridescent black shells and abalone face plates:

IMG_8653.jpg

IMG_8658.jpg
IMG_8663.jpg

They fit like a glove in the ears too, although measuring the frequency response isn't trivial. As such, please note that the treble response is more elevated in the ears than the graphs below might indicate. Custom Art had also sent over the tuning kit for the Hybrid 3 Pro, although I dare say the default Brown ones are probably the way to go anyway:

graph.png

graph (1).png

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 22
Thread revival time hopefully because this is a very interesting set that merits more eyes on it. I recently got a CIEM version in and told the team to do whatever they liked for the design. It ended up being a stunning set with iridescent black shells and abalone face plates:

They fit like a glove in the ears too, although measuring the frequency response isn't trivial. As such, please note that the treble response is more elevated in the ears than the graphs below might indicate. Custom Art had also sent over the tuning kit for the Hybrid 3 Pro, although I dare say the default Brown ones are probably the way to go anyway:

Abalone shell is amazing!!! 🤩 I came to the same conclusion as you re: filter. I went up, I went down, I came back to the middle. Now, just based on your measurements, I'm kind of surprised how closely the two bass-y ones track together.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 22
Oh yeah the H3pro is back from repairs? Also there isnt a reason to buy the filters then?
Yup, they're back! I've been using them for the majority of my IEM usage because they're so light and sound great.

I wouldn't say there's no reason. I think they serve a purpose and a different sonic palate for different folks. I didn't think any of the configurations sounded bad but for what I've been using them for, I think the default amount of bass is appropriate. I want some bass hit for music listening and gaming, but I also need a little touch of neutrality when I'm doing some more critical listening or video editing (need to finish this wedding video project and the mics weren't set up well). I found the replacement process to be a bit risky for me and my butterfingers, so the less times I have to do it, the better.

Dec 6, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 22
Have been using mine, including the filters that come with the tuning filter kit.

Overall I like the signature out of the box , bass is not over done and there is a brightness on top end that is not excessive for my ears.

The brown filter makes the tuning too dark IMO.

The yellow filter makes everything thing to dull as the bass is reduced which makes the mids and highs feels to excessive.

The IEM are light and easy to fit. Using the stocks tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back