CustomArt FIBAE Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,426 of 2,466
I think you might want to consider FIBAE4 coming in January. It has boost at the sub-bass and highest highs so it might be closer to DT's sound
Thanks for that. I'm assuming that the F4 is gonna be a good bit past my $600 budget. #cheapskate Also, I don't need it to sound the same as the 1990, (in fact, I'd like it to be a bit more forgiving), but I do want it to be as good overall.
Are there going to be any review units for the F4 going out? I'd want to know if they're what I want before the Black sale ends.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #1,427 of 2,466
Thanks for that. I'm assuming that the F4 is gonna be a good bit past my $600 budget. #cheapskate Also, I don't need it to sound the same as the 1990, (in fact, I'd like it to be a bit more forgiving), but I do want it to be as good overall.

Well, the price will for sure be higher than FIBAE 3, but as the latter costs 525 EUR, I guess that FIBAE 4 would be within your budget.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #1,428 of 2,466
OK Daniel, you being the local "iem lexicon" , how does it fare with a simple ares II?

The Ares II pairs decently well with it. There’s extra energy around 6kHz that gives its transients a more vibrant, lively tone. Also, the extra lower-treble bite makes the upper-mids less saturated relatively. I hear extra lower-mid energy that makes the stage a touch fuller, but it fills in instruments too for a richer timbre. Sub-bass extension isn’t heighened much. You can definitely hear it now, but it’s still just a hair above neutral quantity-wise. It’s probably not the most ideal pair, which in my experience has been the Janus D - it’s pretty perfect with it. But obviously, no one will feel comfortable spending 2-3 times on a cable as the monitors themselves. I’m satisfied with the sub-bass on an 8-wire Ares II, but I’ll give it a go with other cables and let you know.

Nov 24, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #1,429 of 2,466
The Ares II pairs decently well with it. There’s extra energy around 6kHz that gives its transients a more vibrant, lively tone. Also, the extra lower-treble bite makes the upper-mids less saturated relatively. I hear extra lower-mid energy that makes the stage a touch fuller, but it fills in instruments too for a richer timbre. Sub-bass extension isn’t heighened much. You can definitely hear it now, but it’s still just a hair above neutral quantity-wise. It’s probably not the most ideal pair, which in my experience has been the Janus D - it’s pretty perfect with it. But obviously, no one will feel comfortable spending 2-3 times on a cable as the monitors themselves. I’m satisfied with the sub-bass on an 8-wire Ares II, but I’ll give it a go with other cables and let you know.

Thanks man, you're the best!

Yeah, I am not going to buy a Janus D for this (or any) iem but ares II 4 and 8-wire I have in my collection already and I'll wait to hear about some other cables when you've had some time to try them.

BTW @Deezel177 you should really consider starting a patreon or something for all this work and support you dish out around here, you're a great help!

Nov 24, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #1,430 of 2,466

Yeah, I am not going to buy a Janus D for this (or any) iem but ares II 4 and 8-wire I have in my collection already and I'll wait to hear about some other cables when you've had some time to try them.

BTW @Deezel177 you should really consider starting a patreon or something for all this work and support you dish out around here, you're a great help!
I prefer the 8-wire over the 4-wire to pair with the Black. Of the SE cables I have, my favorite pairing is the Dita Truth, unfortunately the ergonomics make it unusable, it is unwieldy and has a mind of it's own. The Ares II 8-wire is about the limit I care to spend for a cable.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #1,431 of 2,466

I appreciate it, but the joy I get from helping others is enough of a reward. :D

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #1,433 of 2,466
@SHFT This is what @ryanjsoo had to say about the universal fit.

Hey mate, I have little issue getting a seal on the uni. It has a medium depth fit but the housings are smooth and fairly compact so they slot nicely into my ears.

They have a non-recessed 0.78mm 2-pin connector that fits my aftermarket cables just fine.

Customs are more fit dependent, mine fit a little too tight which gave me some pressure and the impression of a more congested sound. This was not a problem on the uni which sounded open and impressively spacious to me, especially impressive given that we now can say for sure that this is a single driver design. With a properly fit custom, I would assume the sound would be the same with the added benefit of a perfect seal every time and greater isolation.

Nov 25, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,436 of 2,466
If the universals would be ready to ship i would have bought a pair already too :) but im a little hesitant to wait 2 months for universal iems

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,437 of 2,466
If the universals would be ready to ship i would have bought a pair already too :) but im a little hesitant to wait 2 months for universal iems

Don't forget that the universals are individually made as well. Also the official launch date isn't until January and this is just the preorder stage. If you have any concerns about preordering with Piotr and Custom Art then don't. Also don't forget you don't have to put your pre-order in now, you can do so at the end of December (as long as you remember!) so the wait time will be even less! Piotr has indicated that they may build stock up at some point in the future to have some on hand, but that will have to wait for now.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #1,438 of 2,466
Don't forget that the universals are individually made as well. Also the official launch date isn't until January and this is just the preorder stage. If you have any concerns about preordering with Piotr and Custom Art then don't. Also don't forget you don't have to put your pre-order in now, you can do so at the end of December (as long as you remember!) so the wait time will be even less! Piotr has indicated that they may build stock up at some point in the future to have some on hand, but that will have to wait for now.
Pretty much this.
Universals will still be made to order. We might eventually keep stock but then it would mean no personalization

Nov 25, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #1,439 of 2,466
Okay, I think I have my design for the FB all set....but I have no idea on the pros / cons on the different connector types. Is there a most popular/common option? What are advantages to recessed vs not recessed? Anyone have any experiences with the mic? Do most people get aftermarket cables anyway? And if so, then does it matter what option you pick?

Looks like I have MMCX on my Shure's, but looks like the vast majority of the options are 2pin. I don't think I would use the remote, but the mic could be decent. Thats making me think 2pin, but still not positive about recessed or not.

Thanks all!

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #1,440 of 2,466
Okay, I think I have my design for the FB all set....but I have no idea on the pros / cons on the different connector types. Is there a most popular/common option? What are advantages to recessed vs not recessed? Anyone have any experiences with the mic? Do most people get aftermarket cables anyway? And if so, then does it matter what option you pick?

Looks like I have MMCX on my Shure's, but looks like the vast majority of the options are 2pin. I don't think I would use the remote, but the mic could be decent. Thats making me think 2pin, but still not positive about recessed or not.

Thanks all!

Whenever I can, I choose with the 2 pin recessed connector, it protect the pins from bending. you can order the cable with the mic if you are considering to use it with a phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back