D-22 Discman FF/Stop Buttons not working
Apr 19, 2024 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

oskalgie

New Head-Fier
Hello, I recently purchased a refurbished D-22 Discman, which the seller informed me was working perfectly, but it appears it got banged up in transit a little. Everything is working perfectly except the stop and fast forward/backward buttons. Discs can be started and played with the play/pause button, but the only way to stop it from playing is to open the lid. How might I diagnose the problem? And if necessary, open it up to look at the insides? I'm new to maintenance. The hold button isn't on and the key mode button is able to change modes on the display, so i'm sure it's just the buttons themselves. Any help appreciated.

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 4
No chance. I'd pursue damages due to the shipping - either to the seller or the shipping services. If there wasn't any shipping insurance, lesson learned, I guess. Even Sony would just have replaced entire assemblies back in the day, not troubleshoot the insides of a small disc player. If you even find someone to troubleshoot it, you'll pay many times more than simply finding another one somewhere and buying it again.

FYI, the D22 Discmans were sought after about 20 years ago, not any longer.

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 4
No chance. I'd pursue damages due to the shipping - either to the seller or the shipping services. If there wasn't any shipping insurance, lesson learned, I guess. Even Sony would just have replaced entire assemblies back in the day, not troubleshoot the insides of a small disc player. If you even find someone to troubleshoot it, you'll pay many times more than simply finding another one somewhere and buying it again.

FYI, the D22 Discmans were sought after about 20 years ago, not any longer.
Is there any way I would be able to do this myself? Surely it's just an issue with the buttons not pressing all the way into it. No shipping insurance and the seller doesn't offer refunds. Unfortunate. It has a really nice outer shell, was hoping to keep.

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 4
Is there any way I would be able to do this myself? Surely it's just an issue with the buttons not pressing all the way into it. No shipping insurance and the seller doesn't offer refunds. Unfortunate. It has a really nice outer shell, was hoping to keep.
Of course, you can always try.

Unfortunately, what you describe can very well be a mechanical issue. That makes it impossible to find replacements parts unless you buy another one and steal the parts from it. Mechanical buttons are the worst, because in most cases they were all custom made by the mfr - especially in the case of Sony (or any other LARGE mfr). It's a small matter for a major mfr to have custom parts made, because the volume is in the tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands or even millions. It's actually cheaper in many cases, because the volume overwhelms all the other costs. Think about the automotive industry - almost everything mechanical item is custom to that mfr. 10 years go by, and you're rummaging through junk yards as the only way to find a replacement. Large electronics mfrs are similar. Once those parts are gone, there is no one to make them again.

It would be better if it was an electronic part. Even then, though, Sony often made their own chips. So, if it's in the program logic of the buttons, you're no better there, either.

Sorry to be so pessimistic ... just warning you of facts regarding old audio equipment. Portables are the worst. They're almost impossible to work on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back