DAC/amp + Headphones on a £200ish budget
Nov 26, 2012 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kreggurree

New Head-Fier
I am a little new to audiophile gear and this will be my first purchase beyond my sennheiser 201's. As the title says I am looking for a headphone \ dac combo to use with my laptop (and maybe sansa clip to).

My sources :
Laptop
Sansa Clip Zip

What  I own :
Sennheiser 201
Steel series 7H (a £20 bargain, I am aware of how poorly the audio compares at full price)

I am a little unsure if I want to go the route of IEM's instead, as they are compact and can be used in any situation, I worry about durability and sound quality for price. As really I don't listen too much when walking these days (I can get a cheap pair for running) My listening mostly happens at home and on long journeys on trains and planes. But I like how little space they would take up in hand luggage.

Any way the things on my radar are:
DT770
ATH M50
Grados?
Some £100-130 IEM's

Fiio E17

What are your suggestions? and whats the right split between dac and headphones at this budget point?

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 4
You're going to need to provide more details on your sound preferences, what genres you listen to. If you're walking around though, the Grados leak like no tomorrow. I used to use them for portable cans, and people just gave me angry stares all the time. Didn't even turn them up loudly. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Oh yeah I totally forgot to do that in this thread.

I listen to Classical (particularly Orchestral, Piano and cello), Prog Rock (Porcupine Tree), Acoustic Guitar (Iron and Wine through to Andy mckee and antoine dufour), Jazz. 

I don't like thumping bass but I like it tight and with some weight  (if that makes sense), I love the feeling of immersion.

I don't intend to walk around listening to music (I might ocasionaly if I had some IEMs but not important to me). Mainly at home and on longer travelling situations. I wish I could afford to have and open pair and something more portable as open are no good for sitting on a plane or train with people around (such as the Grados). Though if open really are that exceptional I would consider keeping my audiophile l quality at home.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Oh yeah I totally forgot to do that in this thread.

I listen to Classical (particularly Orchestral, Piano and cello), Prog Rock (Porcupine Tree), Acoustic Guitar (Iron and Wine through to Andy mckee and antoine dufour), Jazz. 

I don't like thumping bass but I like it tight and with some weight  (if that makes sense), I love the feeling of immersion.

I don't intend to walk around listening to music (I might ocasionaly if I had some IEMs but not important to me). Mainly at home and on longer travelling situations. I wish I could afford to have and open pair and something more portable as open are no good for sitting on a plane or train with people around (such as the Grados). Though if open really are that exceptional I would consider keeping my audiophile l quality at home.

IEMs wise, the GR07 do drums for rock fantastically, also good all-round. Good weight and texture on them. Build is rugged (solid plastic, good cables, maybe a bit too smooth feeling and flexible). 

Cans wise, maybe the KRK KNS8400 or the SRH840 for classical and acoustic. Rock sounds better on the SRH840 because of the mids though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back