DAC and audio interface
Apr 22, 2024 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

andreb313

New Head-Fier
Hi I’m new to the forum and decided to create an account because i’m having a lot of confusion on how to connect my 32 ohm headphones to my computer via audio interface. My audio interface is very cheap (m Audio fast track pro) and I assume has a low quality DAC built in. I’m looking to buy a high quality DAC to connect to my amp and headphones. My main question is can I connect the external DAC to the audio interface. Would that make any sense having a high quality DAC connected to a low quality DAC. Since I will be using it mainly for music production would I just be better off getting a audio interface with a good DAC already built in? Is going from computer to audio interface then to DAC then to amp then to headphones overkill for 32 ohm headphones? I’m really new this whole thing so I would really appreciate any help. Thanks

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 7
Looks like the only digital output from the M-audio Fast Track Pro is coaxial.
So you would need a DAC with S/PDIF coaxial input.

But my two cents is to just get a newer Audio Interface.
Budget?

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply, I think I might just be better off getting an audio interface like the motu m4 which I’ve heard has a good built in DAC, also I just realized my headphones (fostex th900 mk2) are 25 ohms and not 32. So now my main concern is, will I benefit at all from a headphone amp. I’m really interested in the idea of a tube amp and being able to slightly alter the sound by rolling tubes, but with such low impedance headphones this might not be a good idea. I have no experience in any of this. Just been trying to research as much as possible so I’m not just wasting money. My budget is between 500-1000. So between the audio interface and an external EQ it would be a little over $400. I could possibly go another 500 or so for an amp if it would be worth it. Any more feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 7
With 25-Ohm headphones, it's recommended to plug them into a headphone jack with an output impedance of 2.5-(Ohms, or less), for best damping control.
Can't find a listing for the output impedance of the Motu M4, so it's output impedance might be well above 2.5-Ohms.

OTL tube headphone amplifiers headphone jacks can have a high output impedance.
Solid State head amps usually comes with a low output impedance.
A Hybrid (tube and solid state) headphone amplifier can have a low output impedance.

A Schiit Magi ($119) solid state or the Schiit Vali hybrid ($149) will easily drive 25-Ohm headphones.
You can connect an external headphone amplifier to the Motu M4's line-output jacks.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 7
Ok, thanks, the motu m4 just arrived today and it did enhance the overall sound performance. I’m about 12 o clock on the volume dial to get it at the perfect volume. I’m still kind of curious what a tube amp would do to the overall sound but I feel like there’s a good chance It would just be a minor improvement and maybe not worth it. I don’t need the amp to provide more volume but do you think it would improve dynamics or sound stage or add warmth to the slightly harsh high end?

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 7
A headphone amplifier, with a low output impedance might help with a tighter bass.
But as your doing audio production, you might invest into some Sony MDR-V6 monitor headphones (used $65?), they should(?) have less biased in the audio.
As I would guess the Fostex TH900 MK2 headphone are more geared for audio enjoyment, than monitoring.

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the recommendation. I also own a pair of beyerdynamic studio headphones and my dads Sony MDRs were actually the first headphones I started making music with. Fostex th900 are also “reference” headphones although they do have a slight v shape to their sound but when mixing I like to switch between multiple headphones and monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back