DAC or Sound Card?
Feb 11, 2009 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Rpg2

100+ Head-Fier
By DAC, I mean a DAC from a DAC/amp, 2Move to be specific. I'm not sure if DAC/amps are worse than a DAC only device.

I have a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer and was wondering if a 2Move's DAC would be an improvement over my X-Fi.

Is it worth it? I'm looking for a portable amp to use on the go and am now trying to figure out if I should spend the little extra money to get a DAC/amp instead.

I am new to DACs and sound cards. I got my X-Fi back when I was putting together my computer and I didn't know much about audio back then.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I wasn't really sure where it should go since it concerns dac/amps and sound cards.

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do buy a DAC for the X-Fi, you won't get any EAX processing. The X-Fi's aren't great in sound quality - I have a Extreme Music.

Thanks for the tip, but I originally got an Xtreme Music. It was DOA, and I ended up with a brand new Xtreme Gamer after a RMA so I didn't get a sound card for games.

I'm a little confused by your first comment. I'm not buying a 2Move so I can use the DAC with the X-Fi, rather I'm buying a 2Move to replace the X-Fi for listening to music. Sorry for any confusion from my first post.

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

If you do buy a DAC for the X-Fi, you won't get any EAX processing.

Unless modded. Ask Fallenangel about that as she has a DAC and can still use X-fi processing.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

If you do buy a DAC for the X-Fi, you won't get any EAX processing. The X-Fi's aren't great in sound quality - I have a Extreme Music.

You can get EAX/3D-CMSS through S/PDIF off the X-Fi cards. I assume you are referring to the Corda 2Move (a DAC with USB input), then you are correct as you are not using the X-Fi at all. In "Audio Creation Mode", the X-Fi XtremeMusic has bit-perfect output, not sure why the "sound quality" wouldn't be great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rpg2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tip, but I originally got an Xtreme Music. It was DOA, and I ended up with a brand new Xtreme Gamer after a RMA so I didn't get a sound card for games.

I'm a little confused by your first comment. I'm not buying a 2Move so I can use the DAC with the X-Fi, rather I'm buying a 2Move to replace the X-Fi for listening to music. Sorry for any confusion from my first post.

That sucks, email them back and demand an XtremeMusic instead; the XtremeGamer isn't a true X-Fi card as it uses an older processor (which sucks and does not allow bit-perfect output).

No reason not to use both - use the X-Fi for games and the 2Move for music.
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Wow they sent you a cheaper card as a RMA? What a bunch of cowboys!

It was back in July last year. I got one used since they had stopped making Xtreme Musics back then. The used Xtreme Music, bought off their website, was DoA, sent for RMA, and recieved a new Xtreme Gamer. Turns out the Xtreme Music wouldn't power on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get EAX/3D-CMSS through S/PDIF off the X-Fi cards. I assume you are referring to the Corda 2Move (a DAC with USB input), then you are correct as you are not using the X-Fi at all. In "Audio Creation Mode", the X-Fi XtremeMusic has bit-perfect output, not sure why the "sound quality" wouldn't be great.

That sucks, email them back and demand an XtremeMusic instead; the XtremeGamer isn't a true X-Fi card as it uses an older processor (which sucks and does not allow bit-perfect output).

No reason not to use both - use the X-Fi for games and the 2Move for music.
wink.gif

Isn't a true X-Fi...? I thought that was with the Xtreme Audio.... Anyways, I could always do that, one for music and the other for games.

I do use bit-perfect on my sound card, but does that mean the sound quality would be the same/better than a 2Move's DAC? I thought it would be the same as headphones, a 200$ headphone sounds better than a 70$ headphone. In this case, I thought the 2Move would have a better DAC than my sound card and also have better op-amps/parts, that sort of thing.

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rpg2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't a true X-Fi...? I thought that was with the Xtreme Audio.... Anyways, I could always do that, one for music and the other for games.

I do use bit-perfect on my sound card, but does that mean the sound quality would be the same/better than a 2Move's DAC? I thought it would be the same as headphones, a 200$ headphone sounds better than a 70$ headphone. In this case, I thought the 2Move would have a better DAC than my sound card and also have better op-amps/parts, that sort of thing.

Just look at the X-Fi chip, if it's model EMU20K1, it's X-Fi, otherwise it's not.

I think you're a bit confused here.

1) Bit-perfect implies digital output, that means you won't be getting any real "sound quality" from the X-Fi as a transport, the DAC will be doing that job.

2) More expensive does not mean better, just compare the $100 Bose tripods to a $40 iGrado.

3) I haven't heard the Corda 2Move, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's nicer than the X-Fi.

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Just look at the X-Fi chip, if it's model EMU20K1, it's X-Fi, otherwise it's not.

1) Bit-perfect implies digital output, that means you won't be getting any real "sound quality" from the X-Fi as a transport, the DAC will be doing that job.

2) More expensive does not mean better, just compare the $100 Bose tripods to a $40 iGrado.

3) I haven't heard the Corda 2Move, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's nicer than the X-Fi.

ah, and EMU20k2
wink.gif

yes, I would surely email creative and request a proper replacement board

as far as the corda compared to the x-fi, I agree with fallen, I wouldn't be surprised if its better, but I'm guessing the "better" will be more from having proper headphone amplification, not from the D/A conversion stage being superior (as none of the X-Fi boards actually have a proper amplified output (and -10 points to the first person who mentions breakout boxes
wink.gif
))

if you're buying the amp as a portable solution, I don't see why you couldn't just A/B between the X-Fi, and see which one you prefer, you could also test the analog feed from the X-Fi into the Corda, which would give you EAX and the benefits of the X-Fi, and the Corda (or switch between them as Fallen suggested)

in other words, if you're getting the piece anyways, why not just test it up
beerchug.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...you could also test the analog feed from the X-Fi into the Corda, which would give you EAX and the benefits of the X-Fi, and the Corda (or switch between them as Fallen suggested)

I would recommend this - set the windows default output device to the X-Fi so you have it in games and use Foobar set to output to the Corda 2Move for music. No need to flip settings later.
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

I'm starting to lean towards getting a 2Move instead of an amp only device. I'm either moving around or at home so I would get the most out of it.

Quote:

ah, and EMU20k2
wink.gif

yes, I would surely email creative and request a proper replacement board

as far as the corda compared to the x-fi, I agree with fallen, I wouldn't be surprised if its better, but I'm guessing the "better" will be more from having proper headphone amplification, not from the D/A conversion stage being superior (as none of the X-Fi boards actually have a proper amplified output (and -10 points to the first person who mentions breakout boxes
wink.gif
))

if you're buying the amp as a portable solution, I don't see why you couldn't just A/B between the X-Fi, and see which one you prefer, you could also test the analog feed from the X-Fi into the Corda, which would give you EAX and the benefits of the X-Fi, and the Corda (or switch between them as Fallen suggested)

in other words, if you're getting the piece anyways, why not just test it up
beerchug.gif

I remember asking Creative for another Xtreme Music back when I was RMAing the card, but I think they said they couldn't do that.

I'll be sure to try the X-Fi + 2Move combo for the best of both, but the games I play don't really use EAX, at least not to my knowledge. I've kept it in Audio Creation mode for a long time, didn't bother to switch to other modes.

Quote:

I would recommend this - set the windows default output device to the X-Fi so you have it in games and use Foobar set to output to the Corda 2Move for music. No need to flip settings later.
wink.gif

Thanks for the info. I'll remember to do this if I get the 2Move.

Quote:

my only point with the chain was, if the corda offers a better hp amp than the x-fi does, why ignore that when you want to play games?

I have no idea how the Corda handles input/output switching though, so it may be possible to leave both connected, or it may not

I don't understand your question, sorry.

I know I can use the 2Move through Foobar as a USB audio device so the X-Fi should be free and should output everything else sound related that isn't Foobar.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 20
what I'm not sure of, is can the 2Move switch between the line in, and the USB in, or will it default to one of them if both are connected, if it can switch, you can have the X-Fi fed into line-in, and USB to the PC, and use the X-Fi for gaming and get the amp's advantage/not have to unplug/replug, if it can't, thats a bit more complicated

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

what I'm not sure of, is can the 2Move switch between the line in, and the USB in, or will it default to one of them if both are connected, if it can switch, you can have the X-Fi fed into line-in, and USB to the PC, and use the X-Fi for gaming and get the amp's advantage/not have to unplug/replug, if it can't, thats a bit more complicated

Oh. I see what you're trying to say now.

I remember reading that some usb DAC/amp defaulted to usb instead of line in if both were plugged in. I don't remember which amp it was, might have been the 2Move or some other DAC/amp. Might work the same though.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 20
thats the thing I'm unsure of, as I've never used the 2Move personally, I would suspect it defaults if theres no switch between the two (it would have to), for example my SS processor has one input with two possible connections, and will default to one of those two connections if both are connected, regardless of signal being on either of them

if the 2Move has a switch however, you can feed the x-fi into it, as well as USB, and do a more honest comparison (as you'll be comparing both as a D/A, not as a headphone amplifier)

if it doesn't have a switch, you can still do this, but you'll have to disconnect one input or the other, which can be somewhat tedious if you switch between gaming and music often, if thats the case, you might consider a different route

Users who are viewing this thread

Back