Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #961 of 992
Might be a kinda strange question*
Has anyone tried the noise isolation of Aeon 2, or is there significant sound leakage in quiet environments? I'm thinking about buying one and use it in the office, but I'm worried that sound leakage might force everyone in the office to listen with me:triportsad:

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #962 of 992
Might be a kinda strange question*
Has anyone tried the noise isolation of Aeon 2, or is there significant sound leakage in quiet environments? I'm thinking about buying one and use it in the office, but I'm worried that sound leakage might force everyone in the office to listen with me:triportsad:
Aeon 2 Noire has for practical purposes no sound leakage when worn IME.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #963 of 992
Apr 16, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #964 of 992
Has anyone tried the noise isolation of Aeon 2, or is there significant sound leakage in quiet environments?
This is an isolation test I performed while reviewing the Hifiman Audivina. As you can see, the Noires sound leakage is almost nonexistent.

“The purpose of closed headphones is twofold: to isolate the listener from external noise and to prevent the sound produced from leaking into the surrounding environment. I was immediately struck by how little the Audivina's closed cups isolate, so I decided to measure the amount of sound that is emitted to the outside when listening with them. To do this test, I used a white noise generator, flitted from 10,000 Hz with a low-pass filter with Q = 0.5 and measured with a hand-held sound level meter, A-weighting and minimum sensitivity of 30 dB. For reference, I compared the result with my two headphones, the open-cups Ananda and the closed-cups Aeon 2 Noire.

Sound Source: White noise, listening level 80 dBA.

The sound transmitted to the outside, measured at a distance of one metre, is:
  • Ananda: 56 dBA
  • Audivina: 39.5 dBA
  • Aeon 2 Noire: <30 dBA (I do not have the exact value because the sound level meter does not detect sounds below 30 dBA, but a reasonable estimate would be 25 dBA, since at half a metre you get 31 dBA and every time you double the distance, the sound pressure is reduced by 6 dB).”

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #965 of 992
This is an isolation test I performed while reviewing the Hifiman Audivina. As you can see, the Noires sound leakage is almost nonexistent.

“The purpose of closed headphones is twofold: to isolate the listener from external noise and to prevent the sound produced from leaking into the surrounding environment. I was immediately struck by how little the Audivina's closed cups isolate, so I decided to measure the amount of sound that is emitted to the outside when listening with them. To do this test, I used a white noise generator, flitted from 10,000 Hz with a low-pass filter with Q = 0.5 and measured with a hand-held sound level meter, A-weighting and minimum sensitivity of 30 dB. For reference, I compared the result with my two headphones, the open-cups Ananda and the closed-cups Aeon 2 Noire.

Sound Source: White noise, listening level 80 dBA.

The sound transmitted to the outside, measured at a distance of one metre, is:
  • Ananda: 56 dBA
  • Audivina: 39.5 dBA
  • Aeon 2 Noire: <30 dBA (I do not have the exact value because the sound level meter does not detect sounds below 30 dBA, but a reasonable estimate would be 25 dBA, since at half a metre you get 31 dBA and every time you double the distance, the sound pressure is reduced by 6 dB).”
Perfect my friend! This truly was a meticulous test. Thank you for sharing!

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #966 of 992
I'm possibly making a trade for a set of Aeon 2 Noire. How are these with instrumental music like classical, jazz, blues? I'm not a bass head so hopefully the bass is not too much. I enjoy plenty of detail as well.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #967 of 992
I'm possibly making a trade for a set of Aeon 2 Noire. How are these with instrumental music like classical, jazz, blues? I'm not a bass head so hopefully the bass is not too much. I enjoy plenty of detail as well.
In my short time with them so far, they really shine with well recorded acoustic guitars, wind instruments but electronic and rock also sound great. The bass is solid but definitely not bloated. I’d guess they would be excellent with the styles you mentioned. They are rich and full of detail for me. The emotion really comes through, should translate well for the blues/jazz.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #968 of 992
In my short time with them so far, they really shine with well recorded acoustic guitars, wind instruments but electronic and rock also sound great. The bass is solid but definitely not bloated. I’d guess they would be excellent with the styles you mentioned. They are rich and full of detail for me. The emotion really comes through, should translate well for the blues/jazz.

Hmm okay. I was just reading the first review in this thread and it mentioned that the mid range is fairly recessed on the Noire. if I'm not mistaken the genres I mentioned are prominent in the mid range much of the time.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #969 of 992
Hmm okay. I was just reading the first review in this thread and it mentioned that the mid range is fairly recessed on the Noire. if I'm not mistaken the genres I mentioned are prominent in the mid range much of the time.
When reading reviews, I recommend going by consensus. I don’t recall recessed midrange being a common complaint. Personally I feel the midrange is quite neutral! I really enjoy planar timbral reproduction, something folks love or don’t.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #970 of 992

I don't find I'm lacking anything with the Noire. The bass isn't overpowering or boomy and extends low. They are generally polite. I prefer using the two notch white felt to tame the highs as I am treble sensitive.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #971 of 992
How are these with instrumental music like classical, jazz, blues?
Excellent for blues and jazz, the bass a bit too much to my liking for large orchestral masses, but is ok for baroque, renaissance, or small ensembles. Can you listen to classical music with the Noires? Yes, of course. Is this the musical genre where it stands out the most? No

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #972 of 992

I really enjoyed it for these genres....and found it to be a very natural representation. Not neutral, but natural and enjoyable.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #973 of 992
Thanks for the replies. I'm on the Dan Clark Audio website. There are two options for Aeon ear pads. Neither one say they are meant for the Noire. So which one would I choose?

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #974 of 992
Thanks for the replies. I'm on the Dan Clark Audio website. There are two options for Aeon ear pads. Neither one say they are meant for the Noire. So which one would I choose?
Perforated ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back