Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 20, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #391 of 1,940
For someone who is not a fan of the Stealth, I wonder how much I will like it. Thankfully one of the local shops have it for demo. I would like a closed back that I can easily take to the office and drive off my dap (Kann Max).

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #392 of 1,940
For someone who is not a fan of the Stealth, I wonder how much I will like it. Thankfully one of the local shops have it for demo. I would like a closed back that I can easily take to the office and drive off my dap (Kann Max).
Obviously that will depend much on your reasons of not being a fan of the Stealth... but the differences to me are a bit more liveliness/engagement on both ends of the spectrum (a bit more midbass, a bit more upper mid/lower treble) while still showing common/family traits throughout.
Easily take to the office depends on what kind of bag you're using... the E3 is not small, and unfortunately the cable won't fit into the case. It will also need some power to show all it can do. The M17 works well for me, some including Dan are using it with a Mojo 2 as well -- depends on listening level and specific preferences in music: with something bass-heavy more power is a good idea.

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #393 of 1,940
Yesterday I was visiting someone with the E3 and listened to it on his two different tube amps........simply horrible😝👎👎
(The bass was really bloated, became spongy and clearly lost precision)

NOMAX
Sounds like those amps were a bad match. E3 sounds absolutely phenomenal on my ampsandsound mogwai se (but that’s a SET amp)

Dec 20, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #394 of 1,940
To all Merry Christmas 😇
I go now to hibernation and say goodbye for this year with a very special song that could hardly be better presented than with the E3 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #396 of 1,940
Yesterday I was visiting someone with the E3 and listened to it on his two different tube amps........simply horrible😝👎👎
(The bass was really bloated, became spongy and clearly lost precision)

NOMAX

I wonder which tube amps, but I am not surprised considering that most of them are not very good and have a lot of distortion which would explain what you heard.

Assuming you tried the Stealth on that same DAP (or any really), I can't imagine you would like the E3 but it's great that you can demo it to confirm.

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #397 of 1,940

Merry Christmas :christmas_tree:🤶🎅⛪

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #398 of 1,940
Speaking of Christmas, it should be noted that the E3 has nailed piano reproduction, with all the tonality, detail and reverberation. There is a piano-focused album that I think is unavailable now for purchase or streaming (https://www.amazon.com/Piano-One-Joachim-Kuhn/dp/B0000000I8/) with a piano only rendition of Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence by Riyuchi Sakamoto and this is the best I’ve heard it on headphones.

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #399 of 1,940
Assuming you tried the Stealth on that same DAP (or any really), I can't imagine you would like the E3 but it's great that you can demo it to confirm.
I have just seen DMS’ review of the E3 and funnily enough he mentions his dislike of the Stealth but he loves the E3. This makes me quite hopeful.

I love my Atrium Closed but that’s just way too bulky to take to the office whilst the E3 is much more portable by comparison, and looks a bit more discreet.

Dec 20, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #400 of 1,940
I have just seen DMS’ review of the E3 and funnily enough he mentions his dislike of the Stealth but he loves the E3. This makes me quite hopeful.

I love my Atrium Closed but that’s just way too bulky to take to the office whilst the E3 is much more portable by comparison, and looks a bit more discreet.

I was concerned about this as well since I did have a listen to the Stealth and while it sounded good it wasn't to my overall liking. The E3 on the other hand I love which made me wonder why since the frequency curves are similar, but I guess those different nuances between the two were all that mattered.

Dec 20, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #401 of 1,940
Speaking of Christmas, it should be noted that the E3 has nailed piano reproduction, with all the tonality, detail and reverberation. There is a piano-focused album that I think is unavailable now for purchase or streaming (https://www.amazon.com/Piano-One-Joachim-Kuhn/dp/B0000000I8/) with a piano only rendition of Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence by Riyuchi Sakamoto and this is the best I’ve heard it on headphones.

Due to how linear the E3 is and how low its distortion is, I'd say it nails the reproduction of everything. No major frequency response oddities to emphasize or deemphasize anything, generally low distortion to avoid things like bloated sounding bass or perhaps exaggerated sense of detail. If you want to hear the music as it is, the E3 is pretty much as good as it gets.

I was concerned about this as well since I did have a listen to the Stealth and while it sounded good it wasn't to my overall liking. The E3 on the other hand I love which made me wonder why since the frequency curves are similar, but I guess those different nuances between the two were all that mattered.

Interesting, did you A/B test them side by side? I wonder if that review also did this. Going off of memory is very unreliable. Amir from ASR found the differences to be minimal when A/B testing them which all the measurements imply. Maybe I'll get to A/B test them one day.

Dec 20, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #403 of 1,940
Dec 20, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #405 of 1,940
Due to how linear the E3 is and how low its distortion is, I'd say it nails the reproduction of everything. No major frequency response oddities to emphasize or deemphasize anything, generally low distortion to avoid things like bloated sounding bass or perhaps exaggerated sense of detail. If you want to hear the music as it is, the E3 is pretty much as good as it gets.

Interesting, did you A/B test them side by side? I wonder if that review also did this. Going off of memory is very unreliable. Amir from ASR found the differences to be minimal when A/B testing them which all the measurements imply. Maybe I'll get to A/B test them one day.

That's the problem with looking at graphs and then listening to them... Bias from seeing nearly the same response and hearing what you see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back