Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 20, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #902 of 1,940
*I meant E3 has a more analyfical nature than Empyrean II, and by pairing with Qutest-WA6 it is very resolving. Also I found the E3 articulated greater texture to the mid-bass compared to the Noire more so evident when it comes to cello pieces. For instance I find the vibrato was more revealing from Janos Starker's recording of Bach's Cello Suites even compared to the Stealth.

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #903 of 1,940
Speaking of hype I remember the time when Liric was touted as the endgame for closed back after its release 2 years ago. I liked them but sounded a tinge bit artificial.

As much as I love my Empyrean II, I actually prefer the E3's more natural, analytical sound signature even after swapping the Empys' duo & angled earpads. I just wished they were slightly more efficient since I'm always using my Mojo 2.

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #904 of 1,940
Anyone finding tube hybrid synergy gear with E3 as yet to add more body/euphonics... a spin on the core sound...?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #905 of 1,940
Efficiency of headphones is sometimes quite interesting. On paper e.g ZMF Atrium and Austrian Audio Composer look very different. 112db/mw Composer looks hugely more efficient than 96db/mw 300 ohm Atrium. In reality when heard with Fiii15S they sound so evenly loud as can be. Big planars like E3 seem to need more current clearly.

Jan 21, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #906 of 1,940
Efficiency of headphones is sometimes quite interesting. On paper e.g ZMF Atrium and Austrian Audio Composer look very different. 112db/mw Composer looks hugely more efficient than 96db/mw 300 ohm Atrium. In reality when heard with Fiii15S they sound so evenly loud as can be. Big planars like E3 seem to need more current clearly.
Be careful, the Composer is specified as 112 dBspl/V, which is less than 112dB/mW… yet they are still much more efficient than the E3. I use them with my M17 with high gain at 40 and 60 respectively.

Edit: to clarify: 40 for the Composer, 60 for the E3

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #907 of 1,940
Be careful, the Composer is specified as 112 dBspl/V, which is less than 112dB/mW… yet they are still much more efficient than the E3. I use them with my M17 with high gain at 40 and 60 respectively.
Oops. Thanks for correcting. I clearly was too used for efficiency metering announced in db/mw. M17 seems to be a real powerhouse.

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #908 of 1,940
Anyone finding tube hybrid synergy gear with E3 as yet to add more body/euphonics... a spin on the core sound...?
Yes, high 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortions, high output impedance and poor driver control can often be perceived as “warmth” - it’s just distortion.

Jan 21, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #909 of 1,940

I've tried with Cayin HA-3A for few songs. Definitely add some body to the sound, but it's still sound like "E3" nevertheless. If you already like E3 and just want to add a little body and sweetness, this amp may become the answer. Not sure this amp capable to convert people from dislike E3 to become like it so much.

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #910 of 1,940
Jan 21, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #911 of 1,940
I've tried with Cayin HA-3A for few songs. Definitely add some body to the sound, but it's still sound like "E3" nevertheless. If you already like E3 and just want to add a little body and sweetness, this amp may become the answer. Not sure this amp capable to convert people from dislike E3 to become like it so much.
Who dislikes E3!? 😊

Jan 21, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #914 of 1,940
Exactly. Use it and let it sink in. Being in a rush just ruins the experience.
Finally got it yesterday after snow/ice storm delays. Love it so far!

Not loving the UI on the Mojo 2 however. I have some color blindness and am finding the several colors on the menu hard to discern. Considering an alternative at around the same price point. Folks have suggested iFi Gryphon here. Anything else I should consider that pairs nicely with E3?

Jan 21, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #915 of 1,940
Finally got it yesterday after snow/ice storm delays. Love it so far!

Not loving the UI on the Mojo 2 however. I have some color blindness and am finding the several colors on the menu hard to discern. Considering an alternative at around the same price point. Folks have suggested iFi Gryphon here. Anything else I should consider that pairs nicely with E3?
Gryphon is fine for traveling around works great but your home desktop I might look for something with a bit more overhead. They can profit a lot for more power. All in one I love RME ADI-2 FS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back