Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Apr 2, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #1,700 of 1,959
Yeah I would have to decide between taking advantage of that halo thing and the awkwardness of traveling with an XLR-terminated headphone.i use

Hot damn that’s a lot of power for $220. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also @GoldenSound, thanks for the review, that was excellent.

I was planning on buying an E3 and selecting the 4.4mm cable termination in case I ever get the absurd urge to run it through my FiiO BTR15. Is there anything wrong with using a 4.4mm to 6.35mm adapter to connect to the Midgard? Or is my idea of using a BTR15 on occasion so pointless that I should abandon trying to accommodate it?
I use an XLR to 4.4mm adapter and it works fine, be sure to always have your 4.4mm cable plugged into the adapter and plug and unplug the adapter, don't plug in the 4.4mm connector into the adapter while the adapter is plugged into the amp. When inserting the 4.4mm there is some concern from some folks that know alot better than me that you could short the +/- and cause damage to your headphones, so I always plug them together outside of the amp if that makes sense.

This is the one I have:
https://audio46.com/products/dd-ddh...4-4mm-balanced-adapter?variant=43765933572329

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #1,702 of 1,959
I wish this was a truly closed back headphone. It leaking sound through the ports is what kills it for me. I use headphones in living room where my parents watch TV as well and sound leaking off of it be annoyance for them. Otherwise this be the endgame headphones. Hope they make a fully sealed version.

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #1,703 of 1,959
I wish this was a truly closed back headphone. It leaking sound through the ports is what kills it for me. I use headphones in living room where my parents watch TV as well and sound leaking off of it be annoyance for them. Otherwise this be the endgame headphones. Hope they make a fully sealed version.

I doubt there‘ll ever be a ‘more sealed’ version. Anyway, no headphone is really soundproof and starts leaking if you just turn it loud enough. Even the ones with ANC do.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #1,704 of 1,959
I doubt there‘ll ever be a ‘more sealed’ version. Anyway, no headphone is really soundproof and starts leaking if you just turn it loud enough. Even the ones with ANC do.
Just some measurements I did: headphones sound level: 80 dB white noise. Leaked noise at one meter: Ananda (open headphones), 56 dB; Aeon 2 Noire (closed headphones), 25 dB

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #1,705 of 1,959
Just some measurements I did: headphones sound level: 80 dB white noise. Leaked noise at one meter: Ananda (open headphones), 56 dB; Aeon 2 Noire (closed headphones), 25 dB
No I do not listen that loud. The ones with small ports tend to leak sound even at lower volumes compared to fully sealed ones. Those the sound is completely inaudible as long as one gets perfect seal.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #1,706 of 1,959
I was planning on buying an E3 and selecting the 4.4mm cable termination in case I ever get the absurd urge to run it through my FiiO BTR15. Is there anything wrong with using a 4.4mm to 6.35mm adapter to connect to the Midgard? Or is my idea of using a BTR15 on occasion so pointless that I should abandon trying to accommodate it?
I guess it would make more sense to get the XLR termination and use a 4.4 adapter… (personally, I’m using separate cables)

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #1,707 of 1,959
I use an XLR to 4.4mm adapter and it works fine, be sure to always have your 4.4mm cable plugged into the adapter and plug and unplug the adapter, don't plug in the 4.4mm connector into the adapter while the adapter is plugged into the amp. When inserting the 4.4mm there is some concern from some folks that know alot better than me that you could short the +/- and cause damage to your headphones, so I always plug them together outside of the amp if that makes sense.
Oops… didn’t know that 😬 So, you’re saying unplug the whole thing from the amp, not leave the adapter in the amp, right?

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #1,708 of 1,959
Oops… didn’t know that 😬 So, you’re saying unplug the whole thing from the amp, not leave the adapter in the amp, right?
Correct unplug and plug your headphones/earphones via the ADAPTER from the AMP always. Do not plug in the adapter to the amp and then plug the 4.4mm cable end into the adapter. The idea is that when the pins of the 4.4mm connector are sliding past the +/- Pins inside the XLR adapter they could possibly short......I might have already said this all late last night, if so my apologies for the redundancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back