Dap or Dongle?
Oct 17, 2020 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jmwant

1000+ Head-Fier
I've always been a dap user. Recently I can see there are lots of dongles having the same output power, SQ and functionalities of daps, in some cases even better (for example xDuoo Link 2, E1DA 9038S/9038D, hilidac beam and atom pro)Is there anyone who has shifted from dap to dongles? What's the difference in terms of overall user experience?

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 22
I use both DAPs and dongles.

The dongles have quite good sound quality eg Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. Some people prefer dongles so as not to carry an extra DAP around. I actually find that dongles are relatively cheaper to DAPs (in general).

The limiting factor about these dongles is:
1) Battery life of smartphone - Some of these dongles are quite power hungry eg E1DA 9038S. It is no issue if u can charge on the go or have some external battery thing.
2) Memory of smartphone - A problem if u have a lot of lossless files. No issue if u can put external SD cards, but some phones only have built in memory.

Different strokes for different folks. Good thing is we have so many options now to suit different needs and preferences.

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 22

The dongles have quite good sound quality eg Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. Some people prefer dongles so as not to carry an extra DAP around. I actually find that dongles are relatively cheaper to DAPs (in general).

1) Battery life of smartphone - Some of these dongles are quite power hungry eg E1DA 9038S. It is no issue if u can charge on the go or have some external battery thing.
2) Memory of smartphone - A problem if u have a lot of lossless files. No issue if u can put external SD cards, but some phones only have built in memory.

Different strokes for different folks. Good thing is we have so many options now to suit different needs and preferences.
I love the luxury of listening to music without the interruption of Smartphone notifications.

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 22
I don't know about iOS, but in UAPP on Android you can set how loud/on/off for notifications, calls, etc.
After owning the first FiiO X5 I don't think I can own another DAP. That thing was horrible in so many ways and I really can't imagine that any of the newer ones are much better.

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 22

Yeah, some of the dongles right now are getting great reviews, but if portable amps tell me anything, they could drain the battery quite quickly. I sometimes use my DACMAGIC X2 with my Honor 10, which even tho isn't a dongle... does eat up battery. Dongles may be more efficient though. I nearly won a USED iBasso one recently but was just outbid.

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 22
Yeah, some of the dongles right now are getting great reviews, but if portable amps tell me anything, they could drain the battery quite quickly. I sometimes use my DACMAGIC X2 with my Honor 10, which even tho isn't a dongle... does eat up battery. Dongles may be more efficient though. I nearly won a USED iBasso one recently but was just outbid.
Battery won't be an issue. My phoned battery normally lasts two days, would be ok if it gets down to one

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 22
I don't know about iOS, but in UAPP on Android you can set how loud/on/off for notifications, calls, etc.
After owning the first FiiO X5 I don't think I can own another DAP. That thing was horrible in so many ways and I really can't imagine that any of the newer ones are much better.
My experience with daps was really good. Mostly different versions of iPods, then the xdp-30r which I sold last month.
One of the main reasons I prefer daps is that you don't have to stop what your doing on your phone to change tracks.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 22
My experience with daps was really good. Mostly different versions of iPods, then the xdp-30r which I sold last month.
One of the main reasons I prefer daps is that you don't have to stop what your doing on your phone to change tracks.
I was going to mention iPods as an exception, but then forgot (that's what two glasses of rosé and a cocktail will do for you!). I have three main problems with DAPs: 1) they mostly use old processors and run old software (at least the Android ones do); 2) the companies that make them are more experienced with audio hardware than they are software; and 3) demand for new products is so great that small companies have trouble keeping up with demand while also maintaining their older models/software.

One option is that a big company with experience in all three areas (like Apple) would not have as much trouble with these problems: get an iPod Touch.

Second option is to separate processor and OS, player software, and audio hardware into three separate companies that can focus on one thing: get a phone with a dongle/DAC/BT receiver and a good app.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 22
I’ve considered getting a DAP but have stuck with dongles because DAPs are just another consumable item these days. If manufacturers would offer them with user replaceable batteries again I would be much more willing to pull the trigger.

Oct 20, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #10 of 22
I’ve considered getting a DAP but have stuck with dongles because DAPs are just another consumable item these days. If manufacturers would offer them with user replaceable batteries again I would be much more willing to pull the trigger.
I mean, the same can be said about phones. When was the last time you had a phone with a replaceable battery? Or a phone that you wanted to keep after the battery started to go? Didn't Apple admit that their batteries last about two years and that's also when they stop supporting their phones?

I think the last phone I had with a replaceable battery was in 2011. Some sort of Samsung slider with a QWERTY keyboard and a resistive touchscreen.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #11 of 22
I mean, the same can be said about phones. When was the last time you had a phone with a replaceable battery? Or a phone that you wanted to keep after the battery started to go? Didn't Apple admit that their batteries last about two years and that's also when they stop supporting their phones?

I think the last phone I had with a replaceable battery was in 2011. Some sort of Samsung slider with a QWERTY keyboard and a resistive touchscreen.
1. I gotta have a phone anyway, so at least that’s one device instead of two, also only one to carry.
2. More importantly, Apple offers battery replacements for very reasonable prices. They support their phones for at least five years after purchase.

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #12 of 22
Neither. I prefer a streamer that steams the signal directly to my amp and uses my iPhone as controller.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #13 of 22
1. I gotta have a phone anyway, so at least that’s one device instead of two, also only one to carry.
2. More importantly, Apple offers battery replacements for very reasonable prices. They support their phones for at least five years after purchase.
Didn't Tim Cook basically admit to a planned obsolescence after two years? I tried Googling, but I couldn't immediately find what I was looking for. Maybe I'm misremembering. And most (all?) flagship Android phones only offer OS upgrades for two years, after which they become (essentially) obsolete. It's the nature of the hardware-software relationship.
Not to say that you can't continue using/repairing a phone after its obsolescence, but that they'll no longer be officially supported by the company. My wife is finally thinking of replacing her iPhone 6S.

Anyway. I completely agree with you, I just had the urge to say, "well, actually..."

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #14 of 22
I love the luxury of listening to music without the interruption of Smartphone notifications.
That is a benefit that I hadn't considered, but should seriously consider. Now that I have a streamer set up, no more notifications. Great point.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #15 of 22
Didn't Tim Cook basically admit to a planned obsolescence after two years?
The phones are set to reduce CPU performance once the battery has degraded beyond a certain point in order to preserve battery life. That feature is now optional. I don't really care about it personally because iPhone CPUs are about a gazillion times more powerful than anyone besides gamers really needs. It's totally separate as well from the offering of battery replacements which AFAIK is far more readily available for Apple devices than others, as well as from the five years guaranteed software support for iPhones.

Not trying to schill for Apple, just explaining why I view iPhones as the best of a bad set of options for me. I really do think manufacturers should be forced to allow for battery replacements across the board because to your point it is a huge cash cow for them and very bad for consumers to have nonreplaceable batteries, especially in expensive devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back