DD Audio DXB-04 (Appreciation Thread)
Sep 3, 2017 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

PinkyPowers

Reviewer: The Headphone List

I just published my review for these cans on THL, and went in search of a dedicated thread, only to find there wasn't one. I feel this must be rectified. :)

So here we have an all-purpose discussion and appreciation thread for these remarkably good headphones. They're currently selling for $99, which is just too low, if you ask me. I hope DD Audio comes to their senses and puts them back up closer to their performance level. The DXB-04 deserves it. But in the meanwhile, I encourage anyone looking for a new full-size portable over-ear to give these a try. I am quite smitten with them.

@Hawaiibadboy ought to stop in here and share his experience. He's had them longer than me, and seems to enjoy the hell out of them. :D

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 30

I just published my review for these cans on THL, and went in search of a dedicated thread, only to find there wasn't one. I feel this must be rectified. :)

So here we have an all-purpose discussion and appreciation thread for these remarkably good headphones. They're currently selling for $99, which is just too low, if you ask me. I hope DD Audio comes to their senses and puts them back up closer to their performance level. The DXB-04 deserves it. But in the meanwhile, I encourage anyone looking for a new full-size portable over-ear to give these a try. I am quite smitten with them.

@Hawaiibadboy ought to stop in here and share his experience. He's had them longer than me, and seems to enjoy the hell out of them. :D

Outstanding review.

The extension in treble and sub-bass is impressive.

I bought mine because of the company name in Car Audio and expected a novelty collector item for myself and now use it almost all the time as it seems so clean i can hear the sig sound of the DAP I am using because the drivers don't enforce much of their own will on the sound.

$99

That is pretty nutz. They should maybe re evaluate that unless they are making a new set or getting out of the game. Either way I rec em to anyone without caveat to source or power.

Excellent review!

IMGP5934.JPG

20170803_231333.jpg

20170809_1237021.jpg

Love mine.

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 30
Thanks HBB.

Btw, you called them Digital Designs once, but I could not find that name anywhere on their website. So I only refer to then as DD Audio in my review. Which makes me sad. lol. Where did you discover the name behind the acronym?

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 30
Thanks HBB.

Btw, you called them Digital Designs once, but I could not find that name anywhere on their website. So I only refer to then as DD Audio in my review. Which makes me sad. lol. Where did you discover the name behind the acronym?

SL712-back1.png

3484_Digital_Designs_DD_210_S4.jpg

They used to be a Sponsor for me when I competed in car audio SPL/Db drag comps. They were supporting me indirectly by supporting the dealer.

The gear always said Digital Designs. Everyone called em "DD" for short but they had brochures, printed name on gear (pics above) , boxes, everything.

Maybe a legal issue?

The gear was and is Made in America top quality stuff. Was always a fan of theirs.

Love these.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 30
Thanks for the info.

I talked to Kevin Doyle, and he says they've sold twice as many headphones since dropping the price, so he thinks it may remain at $99.

I think that's a bit too low, given how good these sound. But if they're happy with it, I guess it works.

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 30
I bought them outta nostalgia and now use as my go to for over/semi over critical listening:open_mouth:
They go wide (small stages get no love or headtime with me)
They do not have roll off that I can detect on either end
They can be driven easy but can also eat a iDSD BL with a massive EQ bass boost and in turbo mode without issue.
No recess that is obvious in mids unless I try and find it. Lotta gear you can hear the thinness in mids right away..or forward too much.

I am saying this about headphones made by a company famous for massive subwoofers is kinda bizarre.:confused:

True story ladies and gents. $99 will get an all wood and metal studio tuned set made by folks famous for bass...tha fuuu?? Yup, and it punches gear that is 1,2,3,$400 more. The Sony Z7 cannot touch these. I keep trying to enjoy the Z7 and keep reaching for the DD.

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 30
Yeah, based on their roots, you'd be forgiven for expecting a bass-monstrosity. Instead, you get reference tuning, with a very rich, natural timbre.

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 30
Neo has too much bass. Classics is just right for me. :)

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 30
Nov 3, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 30
I just got the DXB-04!

Initial impressions: going by memory, very similar to the Meze Classics 99, which is remarkable given that, as I write this, the DXB-04 is 1/3 the price of the Meze. I'd say the DXB's bass is less boomy and its treble lacks the occasional peaks that I found distracting in the Meze. Presentation is also very similar, specifically in the separation and layering of the music, which are areas they both excel in relative to their price range.

I'd say the Meze is more audacious and the DXB is better behaved.

But I don't know which one is better; I think they're both neck and neck..

... perhaps the DXB has the edge,.. because it's 1/3 the price!

At $99, nothing touches the DXB in that price bracket.. and at their original price tag, up against headphones like the Oppo PM3, the Beoplay H6, Meze 99, they more than hold their own.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 30
@PinkyPowers, I'm listening to Weather Systems by Andrew Bird and thinking... How can the DXB sound this good and still be priced at $99??

Now you know why we think that price is underselling them. Still, what a deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back