Decision Time
Jan 4, 2014 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

CaptHowie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

My Grado SR-60s are wearing out and I'm currently on the lookout for set to replace them as my main cans. I've been reading across the forums a fair bit, so I kind of have an idea of what I want, but I'm still totally confused. My current headphones include the SR-60s as well as a pair of Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10s that I've had for a couple of years and love (apart from the crap cable). I'd be running the headphones out of a 1979-80 vintage Pioneer SA-7800 amplifier, although I am in the process of building a Millet Starving Student. I listen to a diverse range of music, although the majority would be Alternative Rock, Electronic and 1960s/70s Rock (e.g. Arcade Fire, CHVRCHES, The Killers, Gorillaz, The Beatles... http://www.last.fm/user/howie1108 for an idea). The catch is, I'm located in Australia, so either everything is really expensive unless I can source them from overseas, or I can buy second-hand. At the moment from what I've read the choices are the Grado SR-225i, the Beyerdynamic DT-880/DT-990 Pro, or a second-hand set of Sennheiser HD-650s. I've heard that the Sennheisers and Grados are night-and-day difference - the only experience I've had with the Sennheiser range are listening to a pair of lowly HD212 Pro's and some CX-300II IEMs a long time ago. I'm not sure where the Beyers sit, as I haven't heard the sound signature, and its challenging to try any headphones here before I buy. As you can see I'm just a tad confused and in need of a little direction :)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back