Deep (but not thumping) Bass, Dark/Gentle/Relaxed Closed Headphone Recommendations?
Mar 13, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #16 of 18
Well, the AKG K92 arrived in the mail yesterday and my initial impressions were very good.

Initially I preferred the restrained treble and the slightly fuller bass. Whereas I needed to paper the K52 to take the edge off the high trebles, the K92 was just right. Lots of detail and no raspy edge to the mids.

After bouncing around a few of my usual test tracks, I found the K92 to have a cupped, forward quality to the bass that was a bit deafening after a few minutes. Where the K52's bass was a spacious background on which the sound rested, the K92's bass is a headache-y throb that occurs right in the centre of the brain.

Sold the K92 to a coworker for a net loss of $5 or so, and kept my "modded" cheapo K52.

I can see why some people might prefer the sound of the K92. It's generally tighter and more restrained than the K52, and the K52's treble is too sharp without paper or EQ. I can't speak for all listeners, though. The BeyerDynamic DT770 I bought based on this forum is a widely beloved headphone but it was unlistenable to me for anything approaching rock.

Plus, the plain black K52s look better, so there.

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #17 of 18
  Well, the AKG K92 arrived in the mail yesterday and my initial impressions were very good.

Initially I preferred the restrained treble and the slightly fuller bass. Whereas I needed to paper the K52 to take the edge off the high trebles, the K92 was just right. Lots of detail and no raspy edge to the mids.

After bouncing around a few of my usual test tracks, I found the K92 to have a cupped, forward quality to the bass that was a bit deafening after a few minutes. Where the K52's bass was a spacious background on which the sound rested, the K92's bass is a headache-y throb that occurs right in the centre of the brain.

Sold the K92 to a coworker for a net loss of $5 or so, and kept my "modded" cheapo K52.

I can see why some people might prefer the sound of the K92. It's generally tighter and more restrained than the K52, and the K52's treble is too sharp without paper or EQ. I can't speak for all listeners, though. The BeyerDynamic DT770 I bought based on this forum is a widely beloved headphone but it was unlistenable to me for anything approaching rock.

Plus, the plain black K52s look better, so there.

Interesting story. Thanks for the update. Sorry they didn't work out.

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #18 of 18
They are not closed, but have you tried the Sennheiser HD650 (or some 600s or 580s for the budget). They are so, so good and my all around favorite headphone for not-insane money. Update the cable on them and you are in business. The sound is just as you desure: Warm, smooth, great bass (but not overblown), and OPEN! (hehe)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back