Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Sep 28, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #331 of 364
You could ask in the Audio-gd threads, a lot of American guys have bought from Magna.

Got the delivery yesterday… I had no extra customs fees …

Listening to the Magna Mano Ultra mkiii now … very nice match with Ares 12th-1

Too bad I purchased a Silver Ares to match my integrated Amp … the Mano only came in black

Oct 6, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #333 of 364
Waiting for the arrival of a Burson Soloist 3X to pair with a newly acquired Ares 12th-1. This combo will be compared with an also newly acquired Questyle Twelve Master AIO.
I must say, the Denafrips/Burson combo has a tough hill to climb because this QTM is fantastic.
They will drive an HEK V2 Stealth.IMG_20230915_044514425_HDR.jpg
How do the cma15 compare with the ares 12? Thinking about what one to choose. It will be feed with eversolo dmp-a6 ME. I have a he1000se and need to change my topping dx7 pro, because sometimes it's too harsh. Questyle, though more expensive would spare me buying a standalone amp (v222 in my mind).

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #335 of 364
I managed to delete my post...

I have a channel imbalance when running balanced.

I was of the impression that it was ok in the first 10 minutes when I connected everything.

My system is as follows:
Mac Mini M2 with ROON/Audirvana -> Supra Excalibur USB - Ares 12th-1 -> Mogami 2549 Balanced Pair Cable w/ Gold Neutrik XLR -> Violectric HPA V222 -> Mogami Balanced Cable for Sennheiser PIN XLR (Balanced) -> Sennheiser HD600

In this setup the right channel is clearly loader than the left. This means that the center is off. I get a better channel balance if I connect RCA cables instead of Mogami 2549 (I never connected both RCA and XLR cables)

Nothing seems to be wrong with the XLR cables though, the right channel is louder even if I flip the XLR cables (RED to BLACK).

So the problem must lay somewhere else. Could it be that the DAC somehow has an unbalance that you notice when you use it balanced?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #337 of 364
Is the Ares II 12th the same as the Ares II/Enyo, but with the updated firmware? I keep seeing Ares II 12th being referenced, but I only see Ares II/Enyo and Ares 12-1
No, the 12th has NOS/OS dedicated button, I2S interface and also some hardware tweaks that are supposed to make it a better package. From what I can tell the 12th is no longer in production, this is also what irritated a lot of people, the 12th had a very short life of production.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #338 of 364
No, the 12th has NOS/OS dedicated button, I2S interface and also some hardware tweaks that are supposed to make it a better package. From what I can tell the 12th is no longer in production, this is also what irritated a lot of people, the 12th had a very short life of production.
Oh, so there was an Ares II 12th with the I2S hdmi-like port? I see... Thank you

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #340 of 364
Is the Ares II 12th the same as the Ares II/Enyo, but with the updated firmware? I keep seeing Ares II 12th being referenced, but I only see Ares II/Enyo and Ares 12-1
In addition
Note that the Ares II/Enyo now has the 12th Anniversary firmware also. There are a few other minor tweaks to the 12th/12th-1: the indicator lights and buttons were moved to the center of the unit (they are offset to the right side of the Ares II/Enyo) and you can now select the input, NOS/OS, phase directly without cycling or going to the menu.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #341 of 364
What's the difference between the 12th and 12th-1?

I was looking at the Ares II for a long time and was holding out for a silver one, which is finally here!

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #342 of 364
What's the difference between the 12th and 12th-1?
I believe very little beyond a new aluminum case with a silver option (to match their new streamer). I think there may have been very minor tweaks to the power supply.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #343 of 364
I believe very little beyond a new aluminum case with a silver option (to match their new streamer). I think there may have been very minor tweaks to the power supply.
Ok, thanks! Now I just wish they'd put the Iris out in Silver!

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #344 of 364
hi, doing a bit of research on R2R DACs to pair with my Aune S17 Pro amplifier and was recommended this from another head-fi thread by Marlowe. I'm a little confused with the power supply situation; I read that if you're connecting the source via USB (as I will be), you do not need a power supply as the USB would power it... but would adding a power supply regardless change anything to do with the sound?

I can find this DAC at pretty good prices off aliexpress but I'm mindful of the fact I probably won't get a power cable with a UK plug (from my understanding) and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use one of those plug adapters for a 240V DAC. although again, when it comes to electronics, im not too well-versed in the technical aspect of it! any comments appreciated, thanks :)

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #345 of 364
hi, doing a bit of research on R2R DACs to pair with my Aune S17 Pro amplifier and was recommended this from another head-fi thread by Marlowe. I'm a little confused with the power supply situation; I read that if you're connecting the source via USB (as I will be), you do not need a power supply as the USB would power it... but would adding a power supply regardless change anything to do with the sound?

I can find this DAC at pretty good prices off aliexpress but I'm mindful of the fact I probably won't get a power cable with a UK plug (from my understanding) and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use one of those plug adapters for a 240V DAC. although again, when it comes to electronics, im not too well-versed in the technical aspect of it! any comments appreciated, thanks :)
Hi, not exactly clear on your question, but If you're talking about getting the Ares DAC, you WILL NEED a power cord to power the unit.

Can't speak for the Ares, but both my Pontus, and Artemis headphone Amp direct from Vinshine Audio (official vendor) did not come with a power cord (they believe some will use better cables, and why they don't send). At any rate you will have to supply your own power cord.

But the bottom line is you will need a power cord. You can buy one online for your region or find one at one of your local retailers.

Did this answer your question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back