Denafrips Pontus II vs. ??? - Help Me Decide
Jan 9, 2022 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ColSaulTigh

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all!

I need some advice. I have a Woo Audio WA6-SE (2nd Gen) incoming and I need a DAC to pair with it. I have no experience with DACs side from the one built into my xDuoo TA-30. Currently using headphones for all of my listening, but will eventually set up a dedicated listening room with momitors as well. It would be nice to have a single device that I can use for both.

Having said all that, I'm looking for feedback. Trying to stay under $2k, but open to more of I can see the value in investing more. Likewise, if I don't need to spend that much, please advise. I don't want a combo device, I prefer single task components.

Right now, the Denafrips Pontus II seems to be my top contender. Aside from the multiple positive reviews, I like the very clean aesthetic. Also, I'm going for silver components, not that that is critical.

So.... Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 16
Audio-gd R8 MKII

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 16
Jan 9, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 16
Can you provide any insight as to why you like this DAC versus the Denafrips?
I cannot, given I have not heard the Denafrips.

But, the service from Audio-gd is personal and very good. The hardware has an industrial/battleship build, and the sound is just wonderful. I started out with one of his small R2R DACs and now I have a bunch of his gear.

Jan 9, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 16
I cannot, given I have not heard the Denafrips.

But, the service from Audio-gd is personal and very good. The hardware has an industrial/battleship build, and the sound is just wonderful. I started out with one of his small R2R DACs and now I have a bunch of his gear.
Understood - thank you for the input!

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 16
Also look at the Holo Audio Spring 3. This starts at $2200 but it's very highly rated.

CLICK ME

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 16
One thing about the Audio-gd DACs and the Denafrips offerings is that the line out output voltage/impedance vary wildly and create issues with different types of amplifiers.

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 16
One thing about the Audio-gd DACs and the Denafrips offerings is that the line out output voltage/impedance vary wildly and create issues with different types of amplifiers.
Oh, interesting point. I assume this isn't something easily addressed?

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 16
Oh, interesting point. I assume this isn't something easily addressed?
Yeah, I think it's mostly a voltage issue, since impedance mismatch seems less common in my personal experience. Basically, my living room integrated is optimal with a 2.5V input, but I need a 2V DAC for my desktop setup, which includes a tube amp and a solid state amp that is meant to run on 2V. The Pontus, which outputs a safe 2V and 4V should be fine with most amps.

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 16
Well now I'm up to $3,500 for the Holo Audio Spring 3 w/upgrades.....*sigh* so many choices!

First. World. Problems!

Jan 10, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 16
This is another DAC that seems to be popular.

CLICK ME

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 16
If you're considering $3500 for a DAC, maybe you should consider new headphones instead. If I'm being honest, I think your money is better spent elsewhere.

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 16
If you're considering $3500 for a DAC, maybe you should consider new headphones instead. If I'm being honest, I think your money is better spent elsewhere.
Why not both?

What sense is making money if you can't spend it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back