Desktop Setup with Speakers
Feb 6, 2014 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cornelius80

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I have a Valhalla and BiFrost setup in my office paired with a HD650.
Simply Audio Euphoria! =-)

However, I have a question, is it possible to setup bookshelf speakers with my current rig?
I understand that I might have to include a preamp section somewhere in the chain.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Cornelius80

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hi Everyone,

However, I have a question, is it possible to setup bookshelf speakers with my current rig?
I understand that I might have to include a preamp section somewhere in the chain.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Cornelius80

Hi there, 

Only the Lyr and Asgard have pre outs. Not possible with the valhalla

but yes, it's possible if you buy a separate preamp. Which model you have in mind? 

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi Fabio-Fi,

Ahh,..thank you for your reply.

Hmmm,..I really have no idea about the pre-amp section that I might be looking out for.

Any recommendations? 

For starters, I have a preference for warm non-analytical sounds, warm when warmth is needed, lush mids, and bright but not too fatiguing trebs. I know it's a very tough requirement but I am open to different sound signatures though. 

That's why I was drawn to the Vahalla and BiFrost almost immediately after auditioning them. 
how about you? 

Regards,
Cornelius80

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 5
I.)  You can buy a pair of powered/active bookshelf speakers to hook up to the Bifrost.  A preamp is not necessary.  Lots of options in the powered speaker world.  Really depends on your price range.  I like powered speakers for a desktop because you don't have the bulk of a power amp.  However, for other non-desktop situations I like being able to swap out amps and I will use passive speakers.

II.)  Or you can feed the Bifrost into a power amp or receiver then to your speakers.  Preamp still not necessary until your power amp doesn't have volume control.  There are lots of reasons people like preamps but that's for a different discussion.  

Quote:
  Hi Everyone,

Any ideas?

Regards,
Cornelius80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back